Oxygenating my waterbutt

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
    Garden centres are useless at ponds in general I think.
    My local GC is huge, they have a huge water / pond/ fish section. Complete with a giant rhino??! at the entrance to it! It is totally mind boggling!

Comment

Years ago we had a pond in the back garden, my mam got some goldfish which were great for a few weeks until the magpies and grey crows discovered free dinners.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        My local GC is huge, they have a huge water / pond/ fish section. Complete with a giant rhino??! at the entrance to it! It is totally mind boggling!
        You sure its not a hippo?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          You sure its not a hippo?
          Nope it's got a horn! I'm gonna take a photo next time !

Comment

Lovely to see you BM

I have a question for the pond Guru.

I have a pond/ well thing. It was concreted before I got here, it started to leak so I put a pond liner in....I did put up photos a few years back,

Anyway, I would like something that would oxygenate it and also give me a water feature.
            Is solar any good?
            If not, can you recommend an electric thing....I don't know what o need. I looked at GC at the weekend and came home none the wiser.
            Heyup Scarlet. I personally wouldn't recommend Solar as they only work when the sun is out. What I did was run waterproof electric sockets down to the pond. Made a filter out of a black dustbin filled with biochemical filter material. A tap was put on the bottom for cleaning out purposes. A pump was then placed in the pond, the water pumped into the dustbin entering the top but with a pipe going to the bottom so the water rose from the bottom, through the material then out back into the pond. I will try & elaborate on any particular part you may not understand.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Lovely to see you BM

I have a question for the pond Guru.

I have a pond/ well thing. It was concreted before I got here, it started to leak so I put a pond liner in....I did put up photos a few years back,

Anyway, I would like something that would oxygenate it and also give me a water feature.
              Is solar any good?
              If not, can you recommend an electric thing....I don't know what o need. I looked at GC at the weekend and came home none the wiser.
              This is the principle I use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clGpkZR0tpk

but I used this material instead of pan scourers: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-...-/192507078335
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Thank you - you are a superstar!!

I may get something for my birthday if it's an easy set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  I will try & elaborate on any particular part you may not understand.
                  Hmm, quite a bit escapes me

I will read up and be back - will need to see if I can get some electric there first.

Comment

How big is your pond, Scarlet? Size, depth, wildlife?

Comment

It's about 6ft long / 4ft wide and between 4/ 5ft deep.

It's above ground for about 2ft. An oval shape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4540658A-41B9-4409-AAB8-18EF081DDE6F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	2384696

It's not very full at the moment due to lack of rain.
                      Last edited by Scarlet; 23-07-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

That's gorgeous, Scarlet! Are the staddle stones original too?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          That's gorgeous, Scarlet! Are the staddle stones original too?
                          4 are, I replaced 2...
                          lots of stones around the garden and I've slowly been trying to finish the top edge. Dug up loads of stone when we planted the hedge.
                          I was very upset when it leaked and we had to put a pond liner in. But the old stones look quite good?
                          I've put plants in but it really needs some oxygen/ movement.

Comment

You only need oxygen if you have fish. Plants will also provide it.

Comment

But I want a water feature and would like a couple of small tiddlers

Comment

Ok, don't bother with a filter. Just get some leccy near the pond & buy a pond pump, you get several attachments that you can use.........https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1800L-H-E...ORKX8xO3m-vxmw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X