Nettle Problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nettle Problem

Last year I didn't grow much, due to family ill health, and part of my veggie patch has gone wild with nettles. These nettles are really long with a lots of roots. I have started digging them up and noticed that further down are little yellow roots. Do these all have to come out? This is where I used to grow my riunner beans, will it be O.K to plant them there this year?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Kallie - welcome back! Pull as many of the yellow roots out as you can, they do come back but the more you can get out the better. Nettles are very nutritious and you can make nettle tea from the ones you pull - not to drink but to feed your plants! Plant your beans there, just watch out for the stingies when you're picking them

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Hi Kallie - welcome back! Pull as many of the yellow roots out as you can, they do come back but the more you can get out the better. Nettles are very nutritious and you can make nettle tea from the ones you pull - not to drink but to feed your plants! Plant your beans there, just watch out for the stingies when you're picking them
      Thanks for your kind post. Yes I have on occasions made tea,I've been told it's good for arthritis, as I have it in my knuckles, so have to be careful putting too much strain on them. I also steep them in an old pillowcase in a large plastic butt. The smell is awful, but I know it's good for the plants.

Comment

You will probably not get all the roots out in one go, just do the best you can, you can get any regrowth out as it comes, it will go eventually. In the mean time you can compost or make liquid plant food from the nettles. they are not all bad.

Comment

The Gypsies in southern France used nettles as an arthritis treatment, by stinging themselves extensively. Suffering with chronic work related arthritis myself I was always tempted to give it a try, the medication I was given had side effects that I didn't like.
          Somehow running your bared arms through a patch of nettles doesn't hurt as much as that odd stray sting on the back of your hand. Doing this twice a year I have been able to throw the tablets in the bin. People think I am joking, or mad (maybe a little odd) - But for the last ten years I have had no problems with my arthritis except when the temperature is below zero centigrade.
          "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

Very interesting Olorin! Some beekeepers I've met also swear that the stings keep arthritis at bay. I'm sure it does work too as they were very fit and active for their age.

Comment

The sting of a nettle is formic acid, same as an ant bite, not sure what a bee puts into you with its sting. How or why nettles work for me? I don't know and care less - it works and if it is all placeibo thingy - well - it still works for me.
              My DOB is 29-03-1948 so I am just turned 21
              "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

If you're 21, I'm 22
                I don't think its placebo effect - my simple mind says that when you're stung, be it nettle or bee, your body activates its defense mechanism to deal with it, and sorts out other irritants at the same time. Suits me anyway - I don't do tablets either

Comment

think its something to do with your body producing natural antihistamines to reduce the swelling
                  '' We came in different ships, but we're all in the same boat ''

''I'm only responsible for what I say...not what you understand.''

Comment

I would think stings work like a T.E.N.S machine, or acupuncture, that sends Endorphins along the nerves to relieve the pain in area of effected skin. I have use a T.E.N.S machine for years and they work. Also had acupuncture when I had my hand rebuilt and that too worked.
                    Roger
                    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin2001 View Post
                      The Gypsies in southern France used nettles as an arthritis treatment, by stinging themselves extensively. Suffering with chronic work related arthritis myself I was always tempted to give it a try, the medication I was given had side effects that I didn't like.
                      Somehow running your bared arms through a patch of nettles doesn't hurt as much as that odd stray sting on the back of your hand. Doing this twice a year I have been able to throw the tablets in the bin. People think I am joking, or mad (maybe a little odd) - But for the last ten years I have had no problems with my arthritis except when the temperature is below zero centigrade.
                      That's amazing. When you say doing this twice a year, how many times and how long for. Does it take the inflamation away, as I have really swollen knuckles, although the pain at the moment isn't too bad. I do take natural Starflower oil and Omega 3 oil and swear by Blackstrap Molasses and Cider Vinegar.

I do try and keep a wild patch of nettles in a corner for the wildlife, for the butterflies and many insects .

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Very interesting Olorin! Some beekeepers I've met also swear that the stings keep arthritis at bay. I'm sure it does work too as they were very fit and active for their age.
                        I completely forgot about this. I remember hearing about this on our local Radio station years ago. We really need to look after our bees.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X