What to do with a tricky situation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a tricky situation

OK here's the deal. This is long but bare with it and read all.

I was made aware yesterday that there is a major pollution issue on another allotment site and I mean major health issue pollution.

Another plot holder on the other site was concerned with the soil quality on his site because some years back I believe this site took delivery of wood chipping that was to be used on paths the wood chippings where recycled frames doors etc from old houses that had been painted with lead paint anyway this wood chipping so I believe was then added to the compost at the end of one of the seasons as they did not know it was contaminated and was then reused when it broke down on allotments. So that's a quick explanation of how I was told the pollution came to be in the soil
    " ALLEGEDLY". The supplier denied any contamination and a plot that was inspected was inspected for asbestos ( Which was found so the plot was closed off. )

Anyway I believe that this person who is a retired chemist type guy got someone else to get a soil sample which was then tested ( Testing was not approved at the lab as to test the soil samples privately would have been too expensive so I was told it was done on the quiet wink wink wink.

I Have seen these results and also an email expressing the horror at the levels

Anyway I'm going to give you some figure they are a guide as I forgot the exact figures so this is my made up figures to give a idea. Just think as this as microns accepted and danger.

I will do it concern level and Tested Level

Copper concern level 19 tested level 240
    Zink concern level 20 tested level 300
    Lead concern level 5 tested level 3450
    Berium concern level 30 test level 320

that is not an exaggeration as the lead level was over 3000 that I remember.

Problem is that as this test was done unofficially and so also illegal the person responsible refuses to be drawn into it for obvious reasons.

The guy from the council was made aware of these results today but as the person who tested wont come forwards he cannot act ( Officially ) This could be sorted with the soil being re tested by an approved source.

The person who made me aware of the issues is terrified as they had a plot there and is not prepared to blow the whistle as this would lead to repercussions from other allotment owners mostly from the same family as they and this other allotmenteer have some bad blood going on and they would see it as this person attacking them and it is alleged that this is the family of the guy up in the crown for killing the two coppers and the father and son in Manchester. So I obviously don't want to draw unwanted attention to my family.

I have absolutely no Idea who any of these people are and wouldn't know any of them if i bumped into them so even if other people on that allotment need to be warned this is a nightmare situation ready to hit the fan. A situation I wish I had not been made aware of as I think the person who told me expected me to whistle blow but I can't do a thing as I do not know the source or the overall facts of this.

I have also been informed that a lot of the soil from that site was taken to another allotment so this needs to be stopped but your talking a lot of very powerful people who would also be implicated I want nothing to do with it but my conscience it niggling me.

I want to pass this back but any information or advice on what to do would be good.
    Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

The council has been made aware.

What else can you do?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Nothing I suppose but there are a lot of people who are eating the food grown on that plot and not just their families I can bet and they are oblivious to the danger I know there are a couple of people who have developed health issues which may be linked. It's like knowing a glass is full of bleach and sitting there waiting for people to drink it what happens if the guy from the council buries the information???

Comment

Local press tip off anonymously

Comment

Really can't see what this has to do with you. The authorities are presumably aware of the situation and will deal with it.

Comment

Asbestos is only a hazard when breathed in, and only certain types at that. Old lead-painted wood chippings? Probably broken down into harmless particles years ago.

Comment

make the HSE aware of this anonymously.
              '' We came in different ships, but we're all in the same boat ''

''I'm only responsible for what I say...not what you understand.''

Comment

If there's a paper trail (even electronic) proving that the council have been informed of the issue then they should in theory act on, even if just to cover themselves. Otherwise the press would definitely kick them into action.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  Really can't see what this has to do with you.
                  Just the fact that someone confided this to me and I am showing concern form my fellow human being. Lead copper berium all take a long time to break down the fact that it's so high proves it hasn't broken down.

Anyway I can live with saying nothing. just glad I never got on that allotment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dotty Sarah View Post
                    If there's a paper trail (even electronic) proving that the council have been informed of the issue then they should in theory act on, even if just to cover themselves. Otherwise the press would definitely kick them into action.
                    All I know is the guy from the council had a copy of the results. What he does with it is down to him I suppose just so scary that people are slowly being poisoned and they don't even know.

Comment

Originally posted by shepp726 View Post
                      make the HSE aware of this anonymously.
                      Yep, do that.

I'd be the same as you, Mr Grower. I do feel responsible for my fellow man (even if it's not mutual). I once reported a landlord because they'd sealed, permanently, a fire exit in the building they were letting to students. They also had a (banned) polystyrene ceiling in the flats.

I don't know if anyone got done, but I did my bit.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

How to do it? Hello I have been made aware and seen evidence of a major pollution issue at a local allotment and that soil has been moved to another site to. Sorry I can't provide the test results that I have seen but I know the guy from the council has a copy

The old polystyrene ceilings that takes me back a bit.
                        Last edited by mrgrower; 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Anonymous tip off to the Environment Agency 0800807060.

They are responsible for land, pollution and food, so I think they are the guys to deal with.
                          Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

Environment agency number passed onto the person who informed me of the issue. They said thank you for your help ( Not mine Yours )

Up to them what they do now my minds clear now.

Feel free too remove the thread now I have passed it back to the person in question.

MG

Comment

I Have seen these results and also an email expressing the horror at the levels
                              ! I'll bet. Those levels are horrendous. Ferociously bad. The only growing I'd be doing there would be in raised beds of brought in compost. Pity the poor children.

It's like knowing a glass is full of bleach and sitting there waiting for people to drink it what happens if the guy from the council buries the information???
                              Well done you mr grower for doing something about it. Yes, easier to wash your hands of responsibility by saying the man from the council has the figures; but his bosses will have pressing budgetary reasons why they don't want to do anything, and they will delude themselves that it's not that important.
                              There is a massive amount of misery and heartache in those figures: autoimmune disorders, genetic damage leading to cancers, fetal abnormalities and stillbirths, neurological impairment in children, behavioural disorders leading to violence and crime; no much wonder there are feuds going on at those allotments ! Year after year after year, because heavy metals don't break down, and it takes a hell of a long time for the polluted layer to end up more than a spade's depth down - how many years of composting will that take ? Probably getting on for a century rather than decades.
                              What cost policing and treating that lot, if nothing happens now ?
                              And all for the cost of scraping off and disposing in a sealed landfill, replacing with topsoil from a building development.
                              There's no soap could wash your hands clean enough if you had let it rest. Well done for getting off your backside !
                              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X