Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All a bit of a rush. Whats veggies are going in now?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    I've not really planted anything yet on the plot this year and what I have has been in the polytunnel, the ground is just too cold so it's not worth the effort and time is much better spent doing prep work so don't panic. I do however have some seedlings and small plants at home getting ready to plant out in a bit. The first of these is likely to be the broad beans which are currently about 4" tall in root trainers in the cold greenhouse. I'll start hardening these off next week to plant outside next month, bit later than normal but you know, the weather! Also have spuds chitting (the way it's going, they won't be planted out till well into April), sprout, celeriac and celery seedlings. Have just sown some lettuce seeds in modules and will start planting out the first row of peas as soon as it warms up a bit (they're in guttering in the greenhouse at the moment). Won't be sowing beans, squash etc for a while as it's ages until they can go outside. Am also getting underway with the indoor crops and have toms, peppers, chillies, aubergines etc in small pots but again, they won't even be going into the tunnel for a couple of months yet. I don't grow summer cabbages etc (too much else going on) but will start sowing my winter brassicas next month (only sown sprouts to date) for planting out June / July time. Don't worry, you have plenty of time .

With regards to direct sowings, if it doesn't warm up in the next week or so I'll plant out onion setts in modules rather than straight in the ground and carrots, although I normally sow early April, are OK to wait for a few weeks and I've had a good crop off them when sown in early June in the past. Same goes for turnips and swede.
    Ditto on everything.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbb View Post
      One final thing - Chef UK mentioned long range weather forecast. Is there a defacto web site that is used by many of you for this - appreciate they may not be that accuarate but would like to know?
      I use a facebook group for UK Weather Forecast - Weather forecasts, news and weather information » as they explain what the models are predicting such as the GFS model seen here - weather model gfs - europe - precipitation [base + 3] - weatheronline

Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/ukweatherforecast

The facebook group basically explain what the models show to those of us who struggle to understand the models

Examples of posts:

Friday 29th March
      Obviously a lot of questions based around how we feel the summer may pan out at this stage.

As ever with long range forecasting, plenty of conflicting signals, however based around VERY preliminary research, the expectation is of temperatures overall to be below the seasonal average, and for rainfall to be around average.

To break that down a little more, the current expectation is for the potential for the best of any settled and milder weather to occur during the second half of May/first half of June. Thereafter, July and August look cool and rather wet.

As stated this is all very preliminary research, and these suggested outcomes may well change somewhat when we come to issue the final summer forecast later next month. But all in all its not looking like summer 2013 will be a scorcher at present.
      Wednesday 27th March
      No real sign of a "proper" warm up although this afternoons gfs model is showing the colder air getting bumped away with some slightly milder air moving in next week. Still a battle to be had with some models showing another easterly air flow coming in to play!
      Then for my local area i use the Accuweather app for Android phones. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en
      Last edited by Chef_uk; 30-03-2013, 02:24 AM.
      www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

I've got nothing planted/sown outside yet(soil too cold)
        But I have sown in the greenhouse(toilet roll middles)
        Parsnips
        Red Cabbage
        Cabbage
        Cauliflower
        Spinach
        Leeks(in deep seed tray)
        Allotment dug over & weed free & ready for the season.
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

Seeds gone into pots today

beets ( Yuk )
          Cauli
          Sweed
          Sprouts
          Peppers ( No idea what type )

Seeds to sow out but not yet

Maris Piper Tatties
          Peas
          Runner Beans
          Parsnips

Can Broad beans go in pots now or should they wait?

I overwintered peas in the makeshift greenhouse and I am surprised that they are still alive
          Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrower View Post
            Can Broad beans go in pots now or should they wait?

I overwintered peas in the makeshift greenhouse and I am surprised that they are still alive
            broadies and peas are very cold-tolerant
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X