Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All a bit of a rush. Whats veggies are going in now?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All a bit of a rush. Whats veggies are going in now?!

Ok starting to panic slightly now. New allotment and hard pushed to get beds prepared and ready in preparation for planting due to time and this wonderful weather!

What veggies are people bedding in now (if any) and what should be planted within the next month. Ideally I want to be getting something in soon so what should I be prioritising – remember I am just sticking to my basics of potatoes, onions, carrots, beets, brassicas, peas and beans at the moment.

Are we looking at April as the traditional time for most of the summer veggies to in – would I have run out of time by May for some of these or have I been helped as the growing season has been delayed by a couple of weeks because of this hideous weather?

Anyone allay my fears?

I've not really planted anything yet on the plot this year and what I have has been in the polytunnel, the ground is just too cold so it's not worth the effort and time is much better spent doing prep work so don't panic. I do however have some seedlings and small plants at home getting ready to plant out in a bit. The first of these is likely to be the broad beans which are currently about 4" tall in root trainers in the cold greenhouse. I'll start hardening these off next week to plant outside next month, bit later than normal but you know, the weather! Also have spuds chitting (the way it's going, they won't be planted out till well into April), sprout, celeriac and celery seedlings. Have just sown some lettuce seeds in modules and will start planting out the first row of peas as soon as it warms up a bit (they're in guttering in the greenhouse at the moment). Won't be sowing beans, squash etc for a while as it's ages until they can go outside. Am also getting underway with the indoor crops and have toms, peppers, chillies, aubergines etc in small pots but again, they won't even be going into the tunnel for a couple of months yet. I don't grow summer cabbages etc (too much else going on) but will start sowing my winter brassicas next month (only sown sprouts to date) for planting out June / July time. Don't worry, you have plenty of time .

With regards to direct sowings, if it doesn't warm up in the next week or so I'll plant out onion setts in modules rather than straight in the ground and carrots, although I normally sow early April, are OK to wait for a few weeks and I've had a good crop off them when sown in early June in the past. Same goes for turnips and swede.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

What's the weather doing? Too cold to plant?

Calm down! Everything will be a bit late this year. So you being a bit late with things doesn't matter. I assume where you are is normally lovely and warm and sunny - or at least warmer and sunnier on average than Oldham!
      Dates are approximate only - don't leave things really late, but a bit late will be fine especially this year.

Comment

Don't panic Jack

potatoes - Not planted mine yet, the ground is far too cold. They are still chitting on the kitchen windowsill.

onions - Again, too cold to plant out. I have sets and they will be put into modules over the next couple of days to be planted out on the lottie if it ever warms up.

carrots - pointless sowing them yet, they won't germinate in these temperatures. I have Early Nantes and Autumn King which can both be sown as late as July

beets - I presume you mean beetroot. I sow mine in modules and will start them off (one seed per cell) over the next week or so. The packet states they can be sown as late as July.

brassicas - Depends on which varieties you want to grow. I have sown sprouts (Evesham), Summer Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Black Kale (Cavolo de Nero) in pots (about 8 seeds per three and a half inch pot) indoors. These will be pricked out singly into large modules when big enough and grown on till big enough to transplant to the lottie.

peas - seed packet for mine (Kelvedon Wonder) states that they can be sown up to June / July.

beans - which type of beans? Broad beans can be started off now in toilet roll inners filled with compost, but it is far too early to be thinking of sowing Runner or French beans. These can't go outside till after the last frost date for your area, and don't need sowing till 3 or 4 weeks before that.

Comment

* Waves from a bit further East*
          Don't panic - I've got nothing in yet, either. The soil is too cold yet
          I have potatoes chitting, a few cabbage seedlings in the cold greenhouse, and I've just sown some leeks in a box............. and that's it apart from some early sown toms, peppers and chillis indoors on windowledges.

Comment

It's too cold for ME to be out, so nothing's doing yet
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Same here - I have things sown in the greenhouse but even they seem to be taking an age to grow. I have peas and broad beans at about 2" tall and sprouts and cabbage seedlings. I just sowed some more peas and mange tout and have potatoes chitting, but nothing in the ground yet. I sowed some carrots, turnips and radishes under cloches at the start of March but I am assuming they will do nothing so will be replanting them.

Next month I hope to sow beans, cucumber, courgette and sweetcorn in the greenhouse.
              Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Same here Spuds in the kitchen window and Tomatoes are upstairs. Nothing being sown directly and I can't foresee that happening for at least another 10 days if not more looking at the long range forecast!!!
                www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Echoing what everyone else is saying really! We're all in the same cold and icy boat I think!

I've got spuds chitting on the windowsills and may chuck a few first earlies in flower buckets in the unheated greenhouse this weekend (only because I need to be doing something out there as I'm going stir crazy!)

I've got early chilli, peppers and aubergines inside in the base of a heated prop and some toms that are not getting the luxury of extra heat!

I've got some beetroot in modules which I germinated inside then chucked into the GH. I think the one's I have been trying to germinate straight in the GH have probably rotted so I'll stick some more in this weekend if I can find some windowsill space!

In the faux spring we had about three weeks ago I planted some broad beans out on the plot and they are suffering now. Even the back ups I had won't be enough to fill the holes so I will put some more in loo rolls this weekend and keep them inside until they germinate then they are being turfed straight out into the cold GH.

I've got some very leggy sweet peas which I keep forgetting to put in the GH so I need to stick some more in loo rolls this weekend too.

I was hoping to be doing lots more sowing by now but the combination of this weather and limited indoor growing space means I'm just getting impatient!
                  Last edited by vikkib; 27-03-2013, 06:24 AM. Reason: Forgot about the beetroot!
                  http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I read somewhere that it i better t put it of till you hae had a couple of weeks of warmer weather, as plants sown in slightly warmer conditions will soon catch up and oertake the growth of ones planted earlier in the cold.

Comment

Thanks one and all for your responses. Seems no great deal of panic is required just yet, just appears that you're all frustrated with this weather and busting to get out and planting!

Will be trying to spend a few days over Easter on the allotment making good my new plot and preparing as many beds as possible - will be wrapping up warm that's for sure.

One final thing - Chef UK mentioned long range weather forecast. Is there a defacto web site that is used by many of you for this - appreciate they may not be that accuarate but would like to know?

Comment

Metcheck.com - Accurate Weather Forecasts and so much more... give up to 2 weeks ahead, but really, forecasting more than 5 days ahead is pretty hit and miss.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                          Metcheck.com - Accurate Weather Forecasts and so much more... give up to 2 weeks ahead, but really, forecasting more than 5 days ahead is pretty hit and miss.
                          Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbb View Post
                            One final thing - Chef UK mentioned long range weather forecast. Is there a defacto web site that is used by many of you for this - appreciate they may not be that accuarate but would like to know?
                            yr.no

Norwegian weather website that always seems a little more accurate than the others in my experience...
                            He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbb View Post
                              weather forecast. ..?
                              I use "Weather Channel" app on my phone. It's been more accurate than the BBC or the Met Office, to date
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X