The Other Half

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FruityLoop View Post

Has anyone else had funny/difficult experiences trying to balance the two main loves in their life?
    ... Fishing and beer!?

Seriously - no, she wants to get down the lottie just as much as i do, she cant wait to blend up all sorts of weird mixtures ready for the little fella.

Just a shame she's no good with a spade (dont tell her I said that!!)
    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

OH has no interest at all in the allotment, has NEVER visited it in the five years I've had it, and expects the veg I grow in it to look like stuff you buy at Tesco's.
      I spend ages at the allotment scrubbing and preening veg before I can take it home just so it looks like it came from the shops.
      Same with hens eggs. Until she watched one of the tele chefs go to the chickeen coop to get eggs for her recipe she wasn't interested in fresh eggs. I scrub these as well before bringing them home.
      My grown up kids have taken to their mother and call me 'chicken man'
      I have three kids and none of them have an interest in outdoor activities.

This may sound like a grumble, but it isn't.
      My allotment is my 'bolt hole' where I can do as I like, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My better half helps me more than half of the time. Also does the lawns with her treasured Webbs hand-mower, and started me off getting interested growing veg & herbs in the first place.
        Better get out there now, lovely sunny morning to cart gravel for the floor of our second greenhouse.

Comment

My wife was all for helping me at first, then the weather turn and when I suggested she came and helped me weed ''That sounds boring'' and hasn't been back since
          My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

When I met my boyfriend he was a keen member of a community permaculture group, I grow a few tomatoe plants on my tiny balcony. Eventually he moved in and the permaculture group was falling apart (long story) So I looked into allotments, sent an email and heard nothing. But popped in and said hi, and managed to get half a plot.

So now we both go to the plot. I'm more frequent than he. And he does get jealous that I know more people there than he does, or that I know whats planted where and he doesn't. But it works out pretty well.
            http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

My chap and I met through gardening (via this very forum) so for us, it's more a case of who can push the other down to get to the seed packets first
              I was feeling part of the scenery
              I walked right out of the machinery
              My heart going boom boom boom
              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
              I've come to take you home."

Comment

For me I work it and my daughter ( who is 2) assists. My partner who is home all week, while I work away does all the harvesting and takes the credit for growing them when she gives them to her family!

She does cook them for us which is nice however.

Comment

My Dearly beloved, will allow me time to tend my allotment, on condition I don't neglect my other duties in and around the home. To be fair to her and my DD, they've been very patient with me over the last couple of months while I spend every waking weekend moment digging the plot ready for winter.

She doesn't have much interest in my plans for next year, but will happily visit when there are strawberries, raspberries or peas to be picked. She has an inherent fear of bugs so I have to be very careful to prepare veg before bringing it back to the house, (half and inch of clay around a parsnip is not acceptable!).

I wouldn't have it any other way however, my plot is my own, I don't get questioned on any decisions I make or have to make allowances for anyones wants and desires. The space is mine to work hard and feel physically tired something my day job doesn't give me, its peaceful, surrounded by fields, nature and the elements. Its my little slice of paradise, shangri la, utopia, heaven.

Quick I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, someone pass me a pot of compost.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X