The Other Half

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Other Half

We all know how the allotment can become an obsession, and how we want to spend every spare minute there, but does your partner understand?

I love my allotment, and although I haven't had it long, and the weather isn't being very helpful at the moment, I want to plan every weekend around my time at the plot.

My husband found the idea of me getting an allotment hilarious (as I'm only in my 20's) but I'd only been down there half an hour on the first day of having the key when he turned up in his wellies and took over!

Has anyone else had funny/difficult experiences trying to balance the two main loves in their life?
    Your brain gets smart, but your head gets dumb

My OH shows an interest in talking about it (for a few mins) and makes plans to come and help, but he has only shown his face a few times. He thinks I'm mad some days out there in the rain or super hot sun Wouldn't have it any other way...I just wish I could combine my 3 loves - OH, allottment and my campervan, but sadly allotment track is waaaay to narrow and twisty to fit my long wheel base up

Comment

When I had a veg garden, Mr.G was useful for lugging heavy stuff, and a not too unwilling helper, but he can take it, or leave it, generally. However, he finds hand-weeding therapeutic!!! Nutter!

(I used to find it therapeutic, until it became my job...)
      Last edited by Glutton4...; 23-11-2012, 08:16 AM.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

My OH has been to my allotment about 4 times in the last 10 year's. It's a 10 minute walk away. However at dinner time he always refers to "our vegetables".

Comment

First he said I was bonkers and wouldn't have the time
          Then he begrudgingly would help do digging
          Then he started telling me it was a bad idea to do x and y because...
          Then I got a job in gardening and he said should we give it up as i didn't want to do gardening on my days off surely...
          Then he wanted the end of a bed for flowers and cardoons
          Then he wanted the rest of that bed for his own veg.
          Then he suggested having more beds
          Each time I get another plot of land to work [and especially since getting involved in Gro] he suggests giving it up again.
          And now he wants more beds to himself.

If I listened to him the first time I'd be still seeking a job or working an admin role or in a job I hated.

So basically, I just do what I want anyway.

Comment

When I had an OH and an allotment, his attitude was - if you want an allotment its your choice but don't expect me to help because I'm not interested. He would always help with putting up sheds or structural things if I needed him; cut the grass and hedges at home and look after his roses but otherwise, he couldn't tell a dandelion from a buttercup! And I wouldn't have had him any other way

Comment

Mr B loves it as he gets left alone every weekend to watch, footie, rugby, cricket, darts, american football, (anything else sport like that happens to be on) in peace!

No cooking programmes!
              http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by FruityLoop View Post
                he turned up in his wellies and took over!
                Mine knows nothing about gardening, and has no interest whatsoever in "outside" (there's no telly), but it doesn't stop him telling me I should do this and that, or have I heard about so-and-so technique

All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My OH is very clear on the matter - it's my allotment and she has no intention of visiting more than once every blue moon.

This is despite the fact that I was originally only going to take on 1/2 a plot, then she convinced me that 3/4 would be better so she would have somewhere to grow fruit to make into jams.

Actually, what she really meant was that I would have somewhere to grow fruit that she could make into jams, but I'm sure it didn't sound like that when she first told me.

Recently everything has changed - we are expecting our first grandchild in March, and my OH is full of plans for idyllic summer days out.

Her, DIL and baby lounging on the patio listening to the gentle tinkling of the pond, the rustle of wind lazily moving the treetops, the only effort being expended will be to stretch a hand out (if she must) into the fruit bushes bordering the patio to pluck a ruby red raspberry or succulent, tart gooseberry whilst the men of the family move carefully but with purpose through the rows of beds heavily laden with produce that we have lovingly grown to feed our families.

At least that's what she expects

Now that we are getting a composting loo installed she will probably come down a bit more often

She hasn't wanted to have to pull me away from whatever job I am doing to run her to Morrissons to use the toilet.

Andy
                  http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Jelliebabe - I can relate to this! I would get time to myself to do as I wished in the garedn/on the plot whilst hubby watched MotoGP, but much to my frustration the season has finished now.... hmmph!
                    Your brain gets smart, but your head gets dumb

Comment

My OH hates gardening and only helps when the job is too heavy for me to manage on my own and would much prefer to be out on his bike so he really wasn't amused when I gave him a lovely new shiny chainsaw for his 40th! I had an idea that I would use it myself but he's petrified that I will cause an accident - he manages all the trees now!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        When I had an OH and an allotment, his attitude was - if you want an allotment its your choice but don't expect me to help because I'm not interested. He would always help with putting up sheds or structural things if I needed him; cut the grass and hedges at home and look after his roses but otherwise, he couldn't tell a dandelion from a buttercup! And I wouldn't have had him any other way
                        Ditto - apart from the bit about cutting the grass - DS does that now he's old enough not to electrocute himself. OH doesn't "do" veg - apart from on the couch, so he's happy for me to go up and leave him alone
                        Last edited by Plot10; 23-11-2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

My OH loves fresh veg and fully supports my growing endeavors - both the main plot and the veg garden at home. Anything that needs some real 'grunt' and he's all over it for me, I'm not weak by any standards but he's 6 foot 5 rugby player and finds the heavy lifting a lot easier than I do. He'll help me plan what to grow, but by mutual consent he neither sows seeds nor transplants seedlings...he squishes them by accident every time he tries.

His worst habit it with the walnuts I grow at home...the way he scarpers with them you'd think I live with a 6ft 5 squirrel!

Comment

Himself can be very helpful when there isn't a match on. He geneally helps with the grass cutting/strimming and weeding. He occasionally plants stuff but not too often because he's... well I don't trust him He loves the idea of eating produce we've grown ourselves and is always supportive and impressed, but he works more hours than I do, so I don't mind giving him the weekend off if he wants to chill and watch his team loose.

Comment

My oh can't be bothered and when he does come stands round like a sulky child. However I do find it amusing that he thinks I should be supportive of his 'hobby' which involves sitting round usually in the cold all day waiting for a random bird/animal to turn up. I think not!
                              Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X