Not sure where to post - need advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to post - need advice

Hi Have just joined the forum as the magazine said you would be a helpful bunch of people.

I am not sure where to post my first question so thought it would be easier to start a new thread.

I am growing a variety of different beans - climbing and dwarf french beans. They have all been started from seed in the greenhouse and are now ready to plant out.

With the dwarf french beans I am not sure if I should pinch out the growing tips to encourage a more bushy plant - they are looking a little bit leggy.

Please could someone advise?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by firesprite; 05-06-2012, 01:00 PM.

Hi Firesprite and welcome. I am not very experienced with beans of any sort but this year I have tried my luck with a variety of climbing French bean. I sewed them way too early and they grew so tall I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get them out of my conservatory. I asked advice here and apparently pinching out is common practice and it has worked for me. It makes the plants stronger and they throw up new shoots. I'm pretty sure you would do the same for dwarf beans.

Mine are now in my garden in big pots growing up canes tied together for stability (I only have 5 plants as the seeds were from the Heritage Seed Library and I sent some to my daughter in law). I have had 2 meals off them so far but that's only because I sewed the seeds at the end of February.

Somebody more knowledgeable will be along soon.

Comment

Try this thread

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...+out+bean+tips

Comment

Hi donnakebab

thanks for the advice and the link - seemed to make sence to pinch out but wasn't sure.

You mentioned Heritage seed library - I acquired the Magpie dwarf bean seed from there - only ten seeds - all germinated but the slugs rather liked them so I lost six. Now guarding the remaining four assiduously before putting in a big pot - think thy stand a better chance of survival in a small space rather than in the deep bed or the allotment

Comment

seeing as you've only 4 left, I'd split them into different areas to try and minimise losses. Where can you best protect and nurture them?
          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by firesprite View Post
            Hi Have just joined the forum as the magazine said you would be a helpful bunch of people.

I am not sure where to post my first question so thought it would be easier to start a new thread.

I am growing a variety of different beans - climbing and dwarf french beans. They have all been started from seed in the greenhouse and are now ready to plant out.

With the dwarf french beans I am not sure if I should pinch out the growing tips to encourage a more bushy plant - they are looking a little bit leggy.

Please could someone advise?

Thanks in advance
            Welcome to the forum, firesprite.

For your dwarf french beans, I've never pinched them out. The thread that was linked was relating to runner beans (different bean), which like climbing french beans you can pinch the tip put when they're at the height you want them at.

Dwarf frenchies aren't that high anyway, tend to be more bushier... of course more bushy plants will crop heavier if the nutrients are available!

When you say leggy, are they inside/under cover? Where they started off early?

Comment

What variety have you sown, and where, what in?

You pinch out the tops of climbers just before they reach the tops of your poles/canes. You don't pinch out the dwarves
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi Everyone - thanks for the replies - apologies for not responding immediately - work intruded.

I have sown a couple of varieties - Heritage Seed Magpie, and Blue Lake Bush and Amethyst. All were started in individual pots in the greenhouse. All are dwarf french beans. I think from what has been said that whn I can finally plant them out (we are drowining in drought here in the midlads) perhaps I will try some of them pinching out the tips (using the very leggy ones) and the rest I will leave as they are. Then I will compare results

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  What variety have you sown, and where, what in?

You pinch out the tops of climbers just before they reach the tops of your poles/canes. You don't pinch out the dwarves
                  That's what I have done with climbers before and they are usually successful tho they often carry on growing a bit after the pinching out. Guess a lot is trial and error!

Comment

Blue Lake is a climber, usually...I never pinch out beans unless they overhang wherever they are supposed to be growing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X