offered a plot!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offered a plot!

After being on the list in our village since we moved (3 1/2 years) I have had THE phonecall!

I have just been to look at it and the dimensions are 13.5m by 5.3m (not including paths). It it in a central plot, full sun all day, and has not been worked for about 2 seasons (according to the old chap whose brains I picked working on his plot there).

The whole plot is covered in dandelions but as far as I can tell there are no other nasties.

It is only going to cost £3.10 til september, when the plot years starts, then only £7.50 for the year. There are 2 standpipes for water included in the fees.

I want to put the extra stuff I don't have room for at home.

You can't have any sheds so nowhere to store tools etc. I am told there isn't much of a problem with local youths coming and messing about, and your own children are welcome. I would have to drive and bring the tools from home, but I guess this isn't a problem, and can take shelter in the car if it rains! It's about a mile and a half from home.

What do you guys think -is this a good deal?

I was thinking of spraying and covering til I can work it, as it's so hard there is no way I'd get my fork in at the moment as it's heavy clay.

Congratulations Janeyo. I'm sure you'll love having your own plot.
    Personally at this time of year I wouldn't spray and cover as it is the start of the season and I wouldn't want to risk any chemicals or residue thereof near my veg. I would however start a muck heap if you can get your hands on manure as it really helps improve heavy clay soils and once the rain returns I'd go for the dig up the dandelions option. Covering to cut out their light may be worth considering until the weather turns nice and wet as it will inhibit their growth but ideally you want the water to be able to reach/soften the soil.
    I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to give further advice but that's the way I'd probably go.
    Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Comment

Congrats on getting your plot
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Snap his hand off!

My shed is all broken, so I just leave a spade, fork and seccys in the car boot - can easily pop in on the way home from work.

You could alternatively bury some old tools in a shallow grave type thing and cover it with a door?

Comment

OMG!!!!...are you going to be able to sleep tonight?????? ?????

Wonderful news gal!!!
          Last edited by Nicos; 18-04-2011, 07:34 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos, I have waited a long time! See I can do patient when I have to!

OH has already said he will come and strim the paths etc for me so we can see what it really looks like, and I will take a 'before' pic too.
            I am just a* little* worried what with the wedding looming (45 days) and the IVF (start the drugs in about 3 weeks), I may struggle at first but if I turn it down then I might have to wait another 3 years.

OH has also said (and this from the man who has no interest in anything growing, that it might end up being HIS haven away from the children

*goes off to see what I can sow for later.....

Comment

Excellent news Janeyo!
              http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

I took a plot on knowing full well we were just about to start big big works in the house + with another baby on the way, with the same thoughts as you (if I don't take it now, I'll miss out). Our site rule is you have to show within 3 months some progress (i.e. turn the soil over in one patch) - I laid weed fabric down and dug a few beds (that's about it mind!)

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                  It is only going to cost £3.10 til september, when the plot years starts, then only £7.50 for the year. There are 2 standpipes for water included in the fees.
                  Wow, that's fab. Ours went up from 7.50 to 8 last year but we get no water whatsoever. Have fun digging those dandelions out, it's really satisfying when you get the whole root . I would cover them to weaken them first and tackle a bit at a time.

Comment

Brilliant news janeyo!!
                    I don't have a shed either but its not a problem, I just leave a fork and spade secreted down the middle of an old pallet, and I have a garden store box for a couple of hand tools and yards of fleece. Anything else I need to use I take with me on the day.
                    I think I'd be inclined to put cardboard down over most of your plot, and just clear a little bit thats big enough for your extra plants. I like to use the lottie for things that don't need too much care - onions, leeks, brassicas that kind of thing. That way I don't worry too much if I can't get to the plot regularly to check on them.

Comment

We have been up with the children and started clearing it... my eldest has already bagged his spot - he wants to grow peas and strawberries - who am I to argue?!

Comment

'Gratz

Lots of the bigger sort of plants can be grown through holes in cardboard/weed-control fabric; pumpkins and squash, spuds, beans for drying etc. If you soak the ground before planting, the covering ought to prevent evaporation too. Win-win

Comment

Here are the plot pics!

my 2 boys are marking the end corners to show the boundary

Anyone for dandelion tea?.....
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks quite big for the money...well done you!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X