Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allotment issue - legislation - act now!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post

I also wonder, Zazan, if it's being seen by ALL allotment holders hidden away here in "Allotment Advice"? Or whether it deserves cross-references in both the popular Veg and Fruit threads to alert the widest possible participation in the few days remaining? bb.
    Yup, feel free to post any cross references and links that you want!

Comment

Someone has set up a petition on
      Keep the obligation to provide allotments for those who need them - Petitions24.com
      if people want an easier way to register their concerns.

Comment

greencharlie - just bear in mind that it's not part of the official process so can simply be ignored. Most of the petitions on the old Number10 system got ignored and they were on an official system.

Responding to the official consultation with reference DCLG-136 is the only way to be sure your feedback will be considered at all (but even that's not a given).

Comment

Originally posted by bazzaboy View Post

the local Chairman of Gardeners Association and Allotments and he knew NOTHING about it at all... More worryingly he's also a Parish Councillor! So this latest fandango is not being undertaken with the knowledge of the councilors and the tight closure date suggests the usual stitch up.....
          I am also a Parish Cllr, Allotment manager etc. I can assure you that nothing about this has been seen by me. Our parish clerk is good at flagging up anything she sees too. Mind you I can only say that our influence on this matter would be irrelevant at best.

In practice, however this obligation outlined in the 1908 act doesn't set a time frame for councils to act. They most usually don't quickly but until recent years occupancy was so low there was no demand for more anyway except perhaps to move existing sites (to make way for development etc.).

I suspect if this comes to parliament we will have to lobby our MP's and I don't imagine that the pressures for cuts on councillors will afford much support by them. This 'consultation' may well have been ignored anyway but I am sure you will all be joining together to fight this....we are not defeated yet.

It is very sad news that the country has been brought to this. The resurgence of local production and our reconnection with the land is one of the few pieces of positive comfort you can cling on to in these grim times.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X