Theft and vandalism

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Pleasant Street one:

It's also the one people I know have been told that there are no sites on and one the builders tried to nab as you can see by the clear area.

I'll email the manager and see what info he can give me.

Comment

That's what I saw on the satellite. No evidence of plots as far as I could see.
      Maybe getting a few would-be plotholders together (maybe some from your old site if you can contact them?) and approaching the council with evidence that it's uncultivated and a formal request (from 6 or more ratepayers) to bring the land into use - if you had a plan of how you were going to do it with minimal council input you might have a good chance at it too.

Probably couldn't hurt to get on a few waiting lists for the sites you can get to too.

Good luck whatever happens!

Comment

Thanks Organic and Piskie

Organic,site was acomplete mess when i took it but thanks to husband and son its now fab,sniffy comments about my raised beds and that i will never grow anything in this plot,just general sniffy comments like that.Other problem is i am first plot so everyone has to pass mine and give me their opinion

Comment

Originally posted by CaroltheCarrot View Post
          ... i am first plot so everyone has to pass mine and give me their opinion
          Could you get a set of iPod earphones (if you haven't got some already), even if you don't use one - tuck the end into your shirt - they will see earphones and (hopefully) walk on by

And the problem with raised beds is what?? Rise above it Carol, it is *your* plot, you should be able to work it however you so choose
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

Were you the first to do beds? I got that when I was on mine and I was the first to do the bed method and got some comments about how it wouldn't work and that I couldn't grow things properly in rows etc. It happens with some and "new" methods. You should have heard some of the comment I got from a couple of them when I said I was going organic.

Don't let it get you down. I know it's easy to say and sounds rather cliche but feel confident in what you are doing and you will be surprised how some will start to ask you about what you are doing.

Comment

Thanks piskie, had thought bout earphones but dont want to be rude if people talk and i dont answer,will just have to run into tunnel if i hear anyone coming.
              They are very traditional and i am rebel without a clue

Comment

Thanks guttata,no some of them have beds of a type but my whole plot is beds.
                My greenhouse is full to bursting but so reluctant to put them out.
                Will just have to grow thick skin and as piskie says wear earphones

Comment

We're very fortunate at our site, it's in a friendly village and overlooked by houses on all sides so plenty of people to keep an eye out for anything untoward. The only theft I've heard of in recent times was a large pumpkin last October.

Comment

Somehow that sound worse than mindless vandalism to me... a targetted attack by someone else who know how much work would have gone into those veggies... DISGRACEFULL
                    http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

I keep my shed unlocked and my expensive tools under the shed which is coach screwed down to 3 sleepers,compost bags in the end and nothing visible.
                      the stove & kettle are under there too
                      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Carol - I could be in for some fun then... organic methods AND doing almost the whole plot in the "square foot gardening" method. I've not met most and am tucked away in a corner (only 2 plots beyond mine) so don't have to endure the same scrutiny as you but I'm blessed with pretty thick skin anyway.
                        Let them sniff, I say.

Comment

Carol don't be reluctant to put them out. Show off the lushness the comments will soon stop when they see how well your stuff is growing, and how less often you have to water.

Comment

thank you organic and guttata,
                            crikey have not even mentioned organic, think i would be run off the site

Comment

Missing Shed !!

Hi All

Vandalism and theft it seems is nationwide, it does put me on a downer now and again, but I really would hate to let the bad guys win. I had a shed stolen last year, a 6x4 B&Q shed, I only kept a barrow and hand tools in it. The barrow and tools were left outside and the empty shed was taken! I was gobsmacked. I tried to manage without a shed but my little Ford Fiesta was a bit too small. I have recently put up a new shed, screwed it into concrete blocks and painted my plot number on all sides. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time.

Comment

We had three break ins over a two week period....

The first one happened one Saturday. They broke into several sheds and our communal brick hut was nearly brought down and we were left with a huge whole in the wall and are now without our communal strimmers and mower.

Then the next Saturday they broke in from the other gate and caused damage to at least one more shed and since then they've been back and stole some compost bins....compost bins!!!!????

The police and Council aren't interested and we had to wait a week until a PCSO came out to have a look.

I just hope it doesn't start to drive people away when it comes to plot renewals in October...
                                Life's not always a party - but now that we're here, we might as well dance!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X