No announcement yet.

Theft and vandalism

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading some of these postings leaves me feeling a bit pleased about our allotment. We're in a village that is mostly retired people and only has a primary school meaning older kids are out of the village most of the day and don't tend to come our way when they're not.

In fact, at the recent AGM there was talk of thefts but it turned out to be vegetables since no one fences their plot in anyway. Someone did ask when the last shed theft was and the reply was December...

2007!
    Proud renter of 4.6 acres of field in Norfolk. Living the dream.

Please check out our story in the March 2014 issue of GYO magazine.

Follow us on Twitter @FourAcreFarming

Comment

I was on a site which is now effectively closed down, even though the council still have it listed. This was dues to vandalism, theft and arson driving people away. In the end I was the only one left on a site of 14 plots. I eventually too was driven away by the councils apathy towards the problems as much as the problems themselves.

The advice I was given when I started by some there was simply never leave tools on the site. They even stole the hosepipe at one point.

I started up in beekeeping on the allotment but it was a waste of effort as the hive was vandalised every time I was away from the plot with it being tipped over, bricked and then set fire too. That sort of hit hard, as being on a limited income I had saved up for it and the colony.

We had kids throwing bricks and stones we called the police while it was happening, 6 hours later no one turned up. We even said we were on the plot and they were aiming them at us so it wasn't a case of them thinking no one was in danger.

I would like to start again but the council are saying there aren't any plots available in the two sites near me, one is the site I was on originally which is completely empty and the other is just up the road and they have empty plots on that one too.

Comment

What a terrible state of affairs, Guttata.
        Where in Manchester are you? I'm not sure where you are based but I've seen allotment sites in some pretty rough areas (mine's in Blackley) and I don't think I've ever heard of such a bad do of it around here. Gutted for you.

As for the site nearby with empty plots, could it be worth going to see the secretary of the site's association (assuming they have one) and see about getting your hands on one? It could be that they know it's available but haven't told the council yet.

If you get on quickly you'd probably have time to grow most of what you want to grow this year too (and suppose you could probably move some stuff from your old plot if any of it is still holding on after all that).

Alternatively...
        Grow Your Own is a big thing, Landshare is evidence that demand outstrips supply (as are the huge waiting lists), the authorities are obliged to make provision and there's an election looming...
        ...maybe it could be worth approaching the local papers and your local candidates with the story of neglect on your previous site, bad police response from direct attacks, lack of security and support and so on...
        You never know, you might be able to get the site up and running again with a pledge of support from some of the local politicians and pressure from the rags.

Comment

I'm based in Collyhurst. I am pretty limited in getting around as I have to use public transport. As such anywhere I go would have to be on the routes of the 17 or 163.

There is no secretary it goes through to the number for the allotments officer. I am not the only one who have been told there are no plots available. People who live in the area have too a friend of mine has a friend who actually over looks the allotments he was told blatantly that they were all full and cultivated which just isn't true.

The site I was on I wouldn't go near now, it is effectively a bramble site, a dump and the gates are gone/damaged I haven't looked closely as going near it is a no-no seeing the state it is in from the bus is bad enough.

Comment

We've had some stone-throwing at greenhouses recently, but no thefts down there since I got my plot. (Touching wood now!)
            Last year our Chair had her crops sabotaged - she is a successful show grower and her show leeks and onions were pulled up and thrown in water butts! This was almost certainly a targetted attack though - no other plots had damage, and none of her 'ordinary' crops were touched, just the high pointers!

Comment

Originally posted by Guttata View Post
              I was on a site which is now effectively closed down, even though the council still have it listed. This was dues to vandalism, theft and arson driving people away. In the end I was the only one left on a site of 14 plots. I eventually too was driven away by the councils apathy towards the problems as much as the problems themselves.
              I'm really sorry to hear that. That's a horrible thing to happen.

Having tools stolen is one thing, but vandalism of crops is much worse and such a meaningless crime, the people stealing tools at least get some money. People destroying others' hard work get nothing other than a nasty thrill out of hurting other people.

Fortunately, the only thing I've ever had stolen was a particularly large savoy cabbage that I'd been looking forward to eating!

I like to think they stole it for a prize vegetable show and won gold with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Guttata View Post
                I'm based in Collyhurst. I am pretty limited in getting around as I have to use public transport. As such anywhere I go would have to be on the routes of the 17 or 163.
                I'm not sure where those busses run, but have a feeling one might go along Rochdale Road. If so, our site is half a mile (on foot) from the junction of Rochdale Road and Charlestown Road (Boggart Hole Clough/Booth Hall).
                If walking or bicycling to the plot isn't out of the question it's 2 miles from the junction of Rochdale Road and Queens Road.
                I live a wee bit further than that at 2.5 miles in a different direction and have walked and cycled it plenty. 15 mins by bike if you take your time and 45 on foot.
                Friendly site, lively natives (though generally no bother to the site) and probably not too bad for busses for you.

Frenchbarn Lane allotments. I don't know when, but some land that's been used as a tip for a while is about to be turned back into plots (tipping has been stopped there so maybe soon?) and last time I heard the waiting list wasn't exactly huge.
                Maybe worth a shot anyway.

There is no secretary it goes through to the number for the allotments officer. I am not the only one who have been told there are no plots available. People who live in the area have too a friend of mine has a friend who actually over looks the allotments he was told blatantly that they were all full and cultivated which just isn't true.
                Maybe it'd be worth just annoying the hell out of them until you get a plot. Call, write and email until they give you one of the empty, uncultivated plots just to shut you up.
                I believe it's worked for some people on here in the past, but I don't know how useful the one you've been speaking to will be.

The site I was on I wouldn't go near now, it is effectively a bramble site, a dump and the gates are gone/damaged I haven't looked closely as going near it is a no-no seeing the state it is in from the bus is bad enough.
                Such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by maypril View Post
                  I like to think they stole it for a prize vegetable show and won gold with it!
                  Good way of looking at it
                  aka
                  Suzie

Comment

All the tools that i need go in the car with me and come home again when i am finished the only thing i have had stolen is half a row of Carrots so i pulled the rest up and took them home .
                    I do not have a shed and do not want one...jacob
                    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I am a little nervous about all the stuff that I shall be taking (and leaving) up at my new lottie on Friday - but one must carry on
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

o i could weep,just been up the plot and someone has broken into my shed,its only been up a week. I didnt even look to see if anything gone i just came away.
                        Will have to go back up I suppose but this coupled with all sniffy comments I have been getting has really worn me down

Comment

For the past few days I've had 8 soft fruit bushes/canes in pots on the plot. I'm going to plant them but I need to shift a pile of soil and manure first - and it's full of weeds. As of late last night they are all still there and unharmed.

There was a pretty big fire just next to the site last night though. I was the only one there to see it (well, me, the fire brigade and the nearby houses - but noone else was on the site) - set by some eejits I heard mucking about - thought they were just in high spirits but apparently not.
                          Not on the site, but now I know there's at least a couple of petty arsonists in the area and they know the allotments are there. I just hope it's not the sign of things to come (and I'm glad I don't have a shed for the time being.)
                          Full story on my blog. *plug* *plug*

Carol - Sniffy comments? I've got pretty thick skin so half the time I don't even notice when things are said but what kind of stuff do you mean?
                          Chin up though.

Comment

Originally posted by CaroltheCarrot View Post
                            o i could weep,just been up the plot and someone has broken into my shed
                            mean rotten b**gers!! I am sorry to hear you have had this happen CTC, it is just so mean

Originally posted by organic View Post
                            Chin up though.
                            Ditto that
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Yep Organic the 17 and 163 go straight up Rochdale Road to Middleton before they go off on their separate routes. I might have to give it a go. Do you know who I would contact for more info?

Comment

You need to speak to John, he's the secretary. I don't have a number for him though. I found out about the site on the AMAS website.
                                AMAS - Interactive Map of Allotments in Manchester

The site says applications should go through the "allotments manager" at the council - but I went to the site and spoke to the association secretary and have had no contact with the fella at the council at all.

The site is showing a wait on the site at the minute, but it said there were plots available when there weren't when I found out about the place so it might not be reliable. That won't account for the soon-to-be-reclaimed plot(s) either... though I don't know how "soon" that will be.

If you have a look on that website you might find some others you can get to without too much difficulty. There's one showing as plots available on Pleasant Street in Harpurhey, but I can't see anything there on the satellite view other than the separately listed Cyprus Street site just around the corner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X