No announcement yet.

Please can I have advice/pointers on my plan

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigmallly - Can you have a word with my hubby!! I bought a circular saw a few months ago when trying to make some beds in the garden but 'he who thinks he knows all' insisted that we didn't need it and would never use it so made me return it. In the end, broke his jigsaw trying to cut down decking boards!!

Comment

Originally posted by CADS View Post
      Nico - all beds will be on cardboard as the plot is covered in crouch grass and bindweed and bramble roots.
      My plot was covered in couch grass, bindweed etc etc and although card can help and I have used it in some places I've also double dug most of my beds now. The idea being that I can clear a decent percentage of the weeds, make a massive improvement to drainage and generally improve the soil which has made my life easier. I'd recommend that you do this with at least some of your beds or are you planning on importing a lot of soil to put on top of your card to get a decent soil depth?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Cads: what I would recommend is to actually work the beds for one season before you actually decide on the actual bed sizes. Sketching is all very well but if I'd made the beds up to the widths of my first design i'd be amending them all now.

And I also use a circular saw for cutting decking boards; it eats through them [but not when they are wet!].

Comment

apart from a 60 cm path up the centre of my plot I have kept all th others to 40-50 cm but do use a couple of boards across the top of the beds resting on the sides to kneel on rather like a moveable bridge.
          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Bigmallly - Can you have a word with my hubby!! I bought a circular saw a few months ago when trying to make some beds in the garden but 'he who thinks he knows all' insisted that we didn't need it and would never use it so made me return it. In the end, broke his jigsaw trying to cut down decking boards!!
            Oh No!.....Us blokes always think we know whats best when it comes to tools but it is very rarely the case.........
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Did you get a receipt for your husband?... I'd take him back as not fift for purpose .... jigsaws and circulars are for utterly different jobs and chewing up straight lines in bulk timber is a job for a circular......

chrisc

Comment

Slightly off topic: My step-brother, an odd-job man/aspiring carpenter, was recently put in touch with someone trying to get rid of a large free-standing circular saw; free to anyone who could take it away. He offered to take it off their hands and turned up at their place with a trailer.
                He was amazed at the size of the thing and duly loaded it onto his van. After he got it back he looked up the price of a brand new one on the internet:

£9,000!!

He's a pretty happy guy at the moment! It's so big that it has a remote control to start the saw as you'll probably be too far away from it when pushing boards in!
                Last edited by OllieMartin; 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM.
                Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                Snadger - Director of Poetry
                RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X