Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never to old.......

To learn!!!!!

I've been sticking upside down empty plastic pop bottles on top of canes I have around my allotment plot, initially to save me poking my eye out when weeding.
    Because I didn't have enough netting some of my brassicas were planted in various positions and not covered.
    Some have been munched by pigeons and some not and I couldn't understand why until the penny dropped. The noise of the bottle rattling around on the cane must have spooked the pigeons in the unpecked areas.
    I intend adding quite a few more canes and bottles from now on!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

top tip
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Right bottles it is then but.......... we use the big two litre jobbies do you reckon they'll pull the canes over in the wind
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I do this in my garden. It sounds like clopping hooves sometimes. Doesn't half make the horses in the paddock behind look up suddenly! Of course, it's only effective in the wind - but then, it's often windy here.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Magic Snadger, perfect timing to solve my pigeons problem in a new windswept garden surrounded by rural pigeon-infested ground ! And a lot less obtrusive than the fluttering white tapes on sticks that I was planning on, so the view will stay nice. Ta very much !
          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Now have one two litre clonking happily and one small individual bottle making little dings
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

My Mum uses old CD's - usually computer program ones that are now obsolete - dangle them from string tied across the bed - they are shiny, reflect the sun and they turn in the wind. She reckons they are really good. I ought to try it really - I teach ICT - it's not like I haven't got a huge supply!

Comment

Originally posted by susieq100 View Post
                My Mum uses old CD's - usually computer program ones that are now obsolete - dangle them from string tied across the bed - they are shiny, reflect the sun and they turn in the wind. She reckons they are really good. I ought to try it really - I teach ICT - it's not like I haven't got a huge supply!
                Tried them.............the birds get used to them after a while. They don't seem to get used to the sound of a clonking bottle though.............at least, not yet! Watch this space!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I am going to try it.....
                  My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

We use the bottle method too,also this year I got some cheapo wind socks from Asda,so far so good & they're keeping the pigeons away!
                    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I've done this for a while too, they do make a racket when it's windy. Shame about the quiet times!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X