Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do I get rid of slugs without killing them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
    Would we be talking about sharp sand or something "grittier". I'm sure there's an opening there for a joke of some description.
    Something grittier! Like sharp sand without the sand! Ive seen it as a decorative mulch around cacti? Horticultural grit I think, if there is such a thing?

I'll have a mosy round when I get a bit of time.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Jigje, if you are going to use a barrier fence around your crops make sure you get all the slugs out from the middle first or they'll just be trapped in there with your crops! I can't imagine how just a corrugated plastic fence works on it's own, it wouldn't put off the slugs in my garden, but maybe if you bought a few rolls of the sticky copper tape & stuck it near the top that would be effective - could work out expensive for a large plot though, so maybe just use it around more vulnerable crops. I just use the torch & plastic bag method & put them in the bin but I don't want to wipe out the whole population or the frogs & hedgehog will have nothing to eat.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Slugs in compost dalek

What would be the best thing to do. When I went to chuck some veg peeling in there I found loads of little slugs chomping on the waste. I want to use the compost when it has rotted down, but by the time I do it will probably be full of slug eggs.
        Do I:
        a) invest in some nematodes and apply them
        b) when the compost is fully rotted down, sterilize it with ***** and use it for seed raising
        would either of these methods neutralise eggs?
        Any advice would be gratefully received.

Kirsty
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
          What would be the best thing to do. When I went to chuck some veg peeling in there I found loads of little slugs chomping on the waste. I want to use the compost when it has rotted down, but by the time I do it will probably be full of slug eggs.
          Do I:
          a) invest in some nematodes and apply them
          b) when the compost is fully rotted down, sterilize it with ***** and use it for seed raising
          would either of these methods neutralise eggs?
          Any advice would be gratefully received.

Kirsty
          Hi Kirsty

To answer in order
          1. You could but it's a bit expensive & they may not work as the temperature drops
          2. You could do this but there is an easier way
          3. To steralise the compost & make sure the eggs are dead put it in a biscuit tin lid on & stick it in the oven for about an hour I use Gas mark 3 what ever that works out to in electric. switch off & leave to cool down . the moisture in the compost turns to steam & will steralise it. Smaller quantities I do in the microwave but not when Mrs G's looking
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

I have find that the slugs only occupy the levels where they have something to munch on. Lower levels of very well rotted compost are virtually free from anything except worms. If you can wait until the compost is really well decomposed I think you will find the slugs will have left it and any eggs will be in the less mature levels.
            Last edited by Digger-07; 17-11-2006, 12:17 PM.
            Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

I think Digger's probably right. I often see slugs & snails in the top of the compost bin but haven't come across anything in the compost taken out from the bottom of the bin. You could also spread the compost out for the birds to eat any slug eggs before you use it if there are any, or sieve the compost before you use it.
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. As its full now I'll just leave it to rot down and spread it as a mulch and let the birdies have a feast in the spring or whenever its ready.

One question Nick, what happens if Mrs G does catch you microwaving compost?

Thanks again
                Kirsty
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

I make sure she doesn't
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

lol
                    If I tried the microwave method i'm sure OH would think I had finally lost all my marbles. Deffo going to try it though.

Kirsty
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Flying slugs

I would agree with all of the points people have raised above, but thought I'd tell you about my homing slugs. However far I throw them (yes - girls can throw) I'm sure the little devils make it back to my spinach. I have noticed that if I throw them away from my allotmnet on a dry sunny day, they don't always make it back. They land on a patch of wildflower meadow.

Hunting on a wet night is by far the best way to catch the blighters and a good size 6 wellie is the ultimate deterrent. Hedgehogs are supposed to be brilliant slug munchers, but I've had to fence off my plot because of rabbits, so hedgehogs can't get in.

You just have to take the rough with the smooth and live with them I think.

Comment

slug attractor

i have found that a spoonfull of oat bran on the ground and covered attracts slug like nothing else ,after eating the oatbran they seem to be too full to leave the treat ,might be cus the bran swells up after being eaten,and i then dispose of the collection .oatbran is cheap £1.a box .

Comment

I remember Gardener's World doing a trial two or three years ago and a bran mulch came out top for combined cheapness and effectiveness. But you have to keep re-applying in wet weather.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I know I'm in hibernation at the moment, but am I right in thinking instead of throwing my slugs over the fence into the neighbours garden, I can put them in the compost bin? wouldn't the little darlings just climb out again back to where I got them from? Dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hope not DDL cause thats what I do with mine - but I have noticed they are in the lid when Ive been adding more stuff, I know they do this go up into the top of things - but I recon I hear them say 'ready steady run' have to be quick to slam lid down.
                              Hibernation sounds like a brill idea to me too. Enjoy
                              Last edited by denise; 26-11-2006, 07:06 PM.
                              Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
                              -- Alfred E. Neumann
                              http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Hi
                                I'd like to know how the blighters manage to squeeze into my worm bin...
                                Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X