No announcement yet.

Puzzled

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would ask them nicely by phone why they hadn't been down and started clearing, didn't they know it was the right time etc.

When I was 14, I was offered a big veg patch on someone elses land, I wanted it, I accepted very excited, then realised I hadn't the faintest idea of what to do, not a clue. So I dug a bit then gave it up.

They are probably in the same boat. Having an old boy tell you to plant your potatoes in a straight row and about the soil, will mean nothing to you because your head is still reeling from the idea of it.

Tbh though, it doesn't sound good about the woman sitting in the car, does it?
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
      I think the chap will struggle if his wife/partner isn't remotely interested. Getting a plot going is probably the most labour intensive part, my OH and I would probably both have given up quite quickly if we weren't doing it together (We were setting up raised beds on a previously uncultivated area), now its all set up its an absolute doddle and I or the OH can potter on our own quite happily.
      I run my plot by myself as my OH is too busy to help..........digging,weeding,planning, it's all part of the story. I hope that this guy gets down there and discovers the social element of being a plot holder.

If you're struggling about how to make conversatsion when ringing him up try offering him some seedlings? Once you've got an in offer to meet him down there for a cup of tea and a planting session. I find a little company goes a long long way

Just a thought

D
      Last edited by Duronal; 12-03-2009, 09:19 AM.
      www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
      www.outofthecool.com
      http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

In fairness, he might be doing lots of background stuff at home - seed sewing, chitting tatties that kind of thing, before tackling the lottie...

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
          In fairness, he might be doing lots of background stuff at home - seed sewing, chitting tatties that kind of thing, before tackling the lottie...
          I am one of the "old boys" this guy talked to, when he took the plot it was 95% clean and would have been simplicity itself if he had put a fork in the ground then, now the plot is turning into a lawn I think with this and his lack of enthusiasm with be the straw that broke the camels back and he will disappear never to be seen again.

I REALLY HOPE I AM PROVED WRONG
          Last edited by PAULW; 12-03-2009, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
            I am one of the "old boys" this guy talked to, when he took the plot it was 95% clean and would have been simplicity itself if he had put a fork in the ground then, now the plot is turning into a lawn I think with this and his lack of enthusiasm with be the straw that broke the camels back and he will disappear never to be seen again.

Me too Paul, me too...

Comment

Speaking of backs - I know that when mine goes ping, it's quite frustrating not being able to get to the plot, and I worry that people are having the same conversation about me.
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post

I thought you had to be under 35 to be allowed on here?

You didn't tell him he had to grow his parsnips in long rows did you

I hope you are wrong as well, doesn't sound too good though, does it?
                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                  Speaking of backs - I know that when mine goes ping, it's quite frustrating not being able to get to the plot, and I worry that people are having the same conversation about me.
                  But there again Heywayne I expect the people on your site know you have a back problem so I'm sure they will make allowances. Don't fret about that for goodness sake. Teething babies (I know - a bit early yet!!) will keep you awake long enough, don't start looking for something to occupy your sleepless nights in the meantime!!
                  Regarding the disappearing allotment holder, that is both odd and frustrating. Perhaps he bit off more than he could chew and now realises it, especially if his lady wife was completely disinterested. Keep my fingers crossed for you that he comes bouncing back with tray on tray of seedlings ready to wack them in. (Not holding my breath though!)

Comment

WOMBLE
                    I am, its shona that has got bad eye sight

Comment

watch it you i may have bad eyesight but im bigger than you
                      Looks like one has made a small start which is better than nothing.
                      There are many people with bad backs ect who do make a good effort and i would never have a dig at anyone for that its part of life and we all have aches and pains through our lives but we are lottie people who are daft enough to go there in the rain and all through the winter cos we are mad
                      Last edited by flowerofshona; 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Well what a wonderful weekend we have just had, we had a work in on our lottie and all the usual suspects turned out which are 99.9% of the commitee members lots of work done whips planted for the new hedge bulbs put in to brighten the place up,
                        BUT THE NEWBIE HAS STILL NOT PUT A FORK IN HIS PLOT

Comment

Oh dear, and the weather this weekend couldn't have been more perfect could it? I really hope he turns up soon.

Comment

I still haven't managed to get to the plot - weather was great, just didn't get the time. Are you sure you're not watching my plot!?
                            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              I still haven't managed to get to the plot - weather was great, just didn't get the time. Are you sure you're not watching my plot!?
                              Only if they have really big binoculars!!

Comment

You could always say you're concerned about the lack of anything happening, are they sure they're ready for a plot etc etc.
                                It's really easy to get annoyed with people who aren't doing what you want them to do, but you must have had a reason to give them the plots in the first place, maybe they talked the talk, or maybe they were just next on the list and have changed their minds. You don't know till you ask.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X