No announcement yet.

Victorian garden line

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Organic Gardening Catalogue sell a Victorian Garden Line that I think is the thing you're looking for -
    The Organic Gardening Catalogue

but it's nearly £20!

BUT on the other hand I have just inherited one, that was used by my Dad, & he inherited it from my Grandpop - so I guess they're made to last. I've also seen them a lot on other plots so they're quite popular.
    Many people have eaten in my kitchen & gone on to lead normal, healthy lives.

Comment

Two heavy duty tent pegs and some old string for me, didn't cost anything so I'm not worried about losing it.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Beanie View Post
        The Organic Gardening Catalogue sell a Victorian Garden Line that I think is the thing you're looking for -
        The Organic Gardening Catalogue

but it's nearly £20!

BUT on the other hand I have just inherited one, that was used by my Dad, & he inherited it from my Grandpop - so I guess they're made to last. I've also seen them a lot on other plots so they're quite popular.
        That's the one!
        In Victorian times it wouldn't have been painted though as it would have been made from wrought iron which didn't corrode like mild steel!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I found just what I was looking for! OK, it was £25 but it'll last me forever and in any case , I said I wanted a Rolls Royce!

Victorian Garden Line

Works a treat!..

Thanks for all the suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Gardener View Post
            I found just what I was looking for! OK, it was £25 but it'll last me forever and in any case , I said I wanted a Rolls Royce!

Victorian Garden Line

Works a treat!..

Thanks for all the suggestions
            That is a thing of beauty...I want one too now (always managed with a bit of gravel board before), now where's my birthday wish list...

Comment

Victorian Garden Line

I have one of these that is now surplus to requirements, they are excellent for perfect planting

Comment

Welcome to the vine Oberon's.. What you intending to do with your redundant garden line?

Comment

2 tent pegs and a length of twine for me.........ain't no royce but it rolls up just fine
                  don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                  remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

What is it? I don't understand how it would work?

Comment

I have a wrought (or possibly cast) iron spool, which came from a car boot sale for not-very-much. It looks a bit like this, but mine has a longer "locking prong" and also a prong on the otherside, pointing upwards, which is used to rewind the spool.

Victorian Garden Line - Garden Antiques - Architectural Antiques & Bygones

I only use mine for long lines - e.g. cutting a straight front to my hedge which is 25M long or more.

For rows of vegetables I use a measuring stick, which is a piece of 2x1 (some sort of engineered timber so it doesn't warp) into which I have cut saw-mark measurements. One side has 4" intervals marks, the other side 6" (could do 3" I suppose) and each foot mark has a second saw mark next to it so I am less likely to get confused as I count along the length! It is pretty long - 8' springs to mind as I suspect that is "Normal" length for a baton? - and does me for most of my vegetable rows.
                      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                        For rows of vegetables I use a measuring stick, which is a piece of 2x1 (some sort of engineered timber so it doesn't warp) into which I have cut saw-mark measurements. One side has 4" intervals marks, the other side 6" (could do 3" I suppose) and each foot mark has a second saw mark next to it so I am less likely to get confused as I count along the length! It is pretty long - 8' springs to mind as I suspect that is "Normal" length for a baton? - and does me for most of my vegetable rows.
                        I also have a piece of wood for my veg beds. I'm not too good on the DIY front so mine is a simplified version of yours. The planting distances are marked on with a permanent felt tip

Comment

Mines a cane with 3inch markings in red and 4inch in black, its very basic but works.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X