Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree

Hi guys

Well, the decs are coming down today and I was wondering what to do with the tree. Normally the council take it away for me, but with the allotment this year I was wondering if it can be used. I saw Monty Don shred his for the compost heap at xmas. I dont have a shredder so was wondering if it is worth me spending time chopping it up with sacetuers?

Any thoughts apprecieated

Such trees are generally acidic which is OK unless you specifically don't want your compost to be so. I doubt if any thing other than the very thinest branches will rot down without shredding. It may not be a problem but Christmas trees are often treated to stop the pine needles dropping. Again, this may also be OK but I would want to know if that would adversely affect the subsequent use of the compost. I suppose I am saying that, for me, I'd be happier not composting a Christmas tree.

It would be great if some of the GYO contributors could answer some of the questions posed. However, as a newbie to this forum, I don't know that that is not already the case.
    "Always willing to learn"

Comment

Forget Christmas Trees!

This year we went foraging in the wood for a lovely Festive Twig and came back with this [see pic] and decorated it with lights. We can then chop it up and give it to our neighbour to use as firewood.
      Attached Files

Comment

Chopped up they are great for keeping the weeds down - all conifers seem to do the trick, but I only use them where I never want to grown anything like a pathway at the bottom of the plot

Comment

I just read on the fruiting thread that pine needles are good mulch for blueberries!

Comment

Eskymo your festive twig is lovely. How tall was it?
            [

Comment

In the pot - it probably stands a meter high - it's amazing what you can find lying around in the woods. I don't like the idea of cutting down trees for decorative purposes - it seems so wasteful even though they do look very pretty.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X