New allotment, where to start?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
    Firstly, I didn't say 10 rods was too much to dig over in one year. Only that some people can't do it in one year. That's no reason not to give them a plot. They might take two years to get a neglected plot into full cultivation, then be brilliant tenants for a decade or more.

Secondly I didn't say my plots were all offered to me this year. I've had them ages. They're all nicely dug. Where do you think the Allotment Gardener comes from?

Personally, I find the idea of giving allotments only to people who are physically fit and have plenty of time on their hands quite offensive. Why should anyone be excluded? All we need is more land to be set aside for extra allotments.

Perhaps you think only people who know how to spell and punctuate should be allowed on web forums?
    Calm down Pauls!! I agree with SarzWix

Whilst I accept that the ideal, indeed the legal requirement, is for councils to provide enough allotments to cover demand. (and not by cutting 10 rod plots in half as you wisely pointed out) The reality is that the surge in demand means managers should weed out joker tenants. If people are prepared to reclaim bramble patches they should be given leeway but, rented in reasonable nick, I think if you can't at least dig over; grow spuds and squashes; or put in your raised bed structure in the first year.... your plots too big/allotments are not for you. They are places to feed your family not leisure gardens. If nothing is happening then it needs to put put into service for others

I can normally tell within 10 mins whether someone is a time waster or a worker...I have also made the mistake of renting to folk who failed in the previous 2 seasons...they are just NOT going to manage it this time either! If you need the plots they have got to go. You just get a sea of weed seed floating around.... You then have to establish whether or not there is a reason; issue a warning; upset people etc. before you can strim/plough it to keep it in reasonable order...too much grief.

Other folk are plodders but you know they'll keep coming back and get it done. After 8 years on the plot I just know the difference!!! It was good for amusement when there were four of us up there but in the last couple of years we are now near capacity.

And while I am completely for allotments being for all without discrimination, If you can't physically (time or otherwise) cope. It is just a pipe-dream and not fair on anyone... to take on a plot without a good plan who IS going to do the physical work, initial and long term, is not seeing the reality of veg growing. It is very rewarding but ,after all hard work! I really enjoy your enthusiasm and encouragement for people getting allotments but they must be realistic.

Just as well We've got spell check then!
    Last edited by Paulottie; 19-01-2009, 11:42 PM. Reason: I realised I don't have grammer check!

Comment

Well I can see both sides of the arguement - but that's my job I am a teacher! Anyway back to the origional post

Your plot looks lovely - congratulations, while its frozen solid do some planning. www.growveg.co.uk - this is a great website for veg growers and it comes with a months free trial. Get planning! and enjoy
      xx
      Tori

Comment

Originally posted by Tori View Post
        Well I can see both sides of the arguement - but that's my job I am a teacher! Anyway back to the origional post

Your plot looks lovely - congratulations, while its frozen solid do some planning. www.growveg.co.uk - this is a great website for veg growers and it comes with a months free trial. Get planning! and enjoy
        xx
        Oi thats my link !!! How dare you !!

Little and often was the way we got ours sorted. We got our 1st dig finished just in time (boxing day) before it was frozen solid until last week.

We were given 1/2 a plot (along with 3 other people who started the same time) and given 3 months to do something with it or you're off. To date we're the only people to have finished and only 1 of the others has touched their halfs and they's just dug about 3ft of thiers. We've already asked for the other 1/2 of our plot but have to wait until 1st March to see if the other people make a start.

I'd make a start as soona s you can or you'll find that you're still digging when you want to be planting.
        "When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
        So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!" Brian O'Rourke

Comment

got my plot in september will try to attach pics of the first day and now.the first picture shows my first view,yes its the other side of the tap.picture 2 shows my two unsuspecting victims who said they would "do a bit" for a case of beer,they are about half way up at this stage. the last picture shows the raised beds starting last saturday.No help from the council on this one, attended a council meeting & asked a few questions,now I'm the site rep too! should have sat on my hands there too.
          I don't have a problem with covering with plastic etc if its temporary and short term but I reckon you should be aiming to cultivate as much as possible in your first year.
          Attached Files
          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Flippin Nora That's some work you've put in there snakeshack!

Comment

I just got an allotment of Sunday (am very giddy about it)... the last time I was on an allotment is when I was a girl with my Grandad.

When I went to look at it I did ask the lady showing me around if I could cover some and work on some to begin with, she said as I had paid my rent up and covering it would keep it neat that is wasnt a problem. I was probably best working with a small patch and looking after that well to start off with. But after reading some of the comments on here am a bit worried about it now.

The ground is in good condition but the shed is a bit worse for ware!!

Comment

Wicked Witch, if your allotment lady says it's fine, then I'm sure it's fine. But if you're anything like the rest of us, you'll more than likely go way overboard with the seed buying, and have most of it planted by June

Welcome to the Grapevine by the way, you'll find lots of good advice here, and we don't bite (I promise ) so don't be afraid to ask.

Comment

Hi Sarz, well I was only planning on working on half at a time and was hoping that I would be able to do the first half (its not in too bad a state) and then when all that is planted do a little work on the shed because that is what needs the work, but thought I may aswell get some sowing done before doing work on there. Or maybe leave the shed and start work on the other half... I dont know yet only had my plot 3 days lol. Will maybe try and upload a few pics when I figure it out eh??

x

Comment

Sorry bob, but it was good advice! I nearly put on my original post that it was you who suggested it to me but I wasn't 100% sure!

Anyway its great - all credit to bob for finding it!
                    Tori

Comment

I knew if I put in the time there was an allotment in there somewhere,also I wanted to get an unused allotment back into cultivation.I also thought I had more chance of moving up the queue. as it happens there are 300 spare allotments in harrow.I had the choice of three at this site and......................................................................................................................................this one had a tap!
                      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X