Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on shade

Hi all
    I have planted dahlias on my allotment a long row staggered row (14 ) plants.
    Unfortunately my allotment neighbour has erected her bean row in front of it about 6 feet away. ( I am not complaining as she has every right too)
    The row is also on a slightly higher level. The bean covers the central part of the dahlia row with about 3 dahlia plants either side of that
    I’m concerned that later in the year when the suns not so high it could be a real shade problem.
    My dilemma is should i dig them back up as they have been in about 12 days. Has anyone had a similar problem with dahlias on their plot
    and if so can you advise.
    Thanks
    Last edited by bobbin; 05-06-2021, 01:46 PM.

Dahlias will stand a fair bit of shade and still flower. You may have to stake them though as they'll definitely grow higher looking for more light.

Comment

I have some on my plot that were overwintered in the ground. Green shoots are starting to show.
      I just left the dead stems on as a token frost shield. Some are sprouting a little way out from the original planting positions so only the outer tubas have survived.

Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Mine are actual plants from tubers brought on in pots as I can’t overwinter in the ground which gets extremely wet. It’s just the shade issue that’s the problem. I do always stake them really well. I think I’ll just have to take a chance and leave them in place.

Comment

Bobbin, I have dahlias growing in an area that is shaded by a shed.
          It does get some sun but not a lot.
          The dahlias grow just fine, they just make a little longer to blossom.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

They grow fine in shade , just often go taller .
            Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X