Organic allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic allotment

Hi, I was wondering if any of those with allotments have an entirely organic site? Not an organic plot, but a whole site where no use of pesticides or herbicides is permitted?

Cheers,
    MBE
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Not on our site. I am sure that weedkiller has been used.

My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Only a soil association certificate would prove that I guess, and that would need re-checking every year, it would seem I am the first person to grow veg on my garden plot in the last 30 or so years and I haven't knowingly added anything nasty, but I am happy with what I am doing, not all my seeds are organic though.

Comment

I have just accepted half a plot on a site that claims to be the first 100% organic allotment in the country, and I was wondering if the claim was true.

It matters not really - I'm delighted to have found such a place. Half a mile walk from my house. Water from April to November. Communal facilities including shipping container kitchen / tea room, toilet, shop with discounted products (e.g. compost), beehive and some ex-battery chickens.

£26 per year for the half plot. Includes insurance. Excellent security (although I still won't be leaving much of value there). A few rules regarding structures & fires etc but it seems to be fairly easy going as long as you don't take the mick.

I have found raspberries, strawberries, at least 3 rhubarb plants plus a few flowers from the previous (lady) tenant. It is not buried under 8' of brambles. The soil looks desperate for a bit of organic matter but that's relatively easily sorted. Quite a few rocks and bits of plastic that has been left to disintegrate in the sun, so a bit of clearance work required. I have inherited a 6'x4' shed and a pretty decent wheelbarrow.

I'm going to have a bit of fun with this I think.
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I may be wrong but I believe organic farmers can still use weedkiller to clear the ground......once?
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

That sounds like a great place, £26 doesn't sound bad at all for all of that.

Comment

WOW , enjoy your new allotment , and remember we like to see lots of photos.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                That sounds like a great place, £26 doesn't sound bad at all for all of that.
                I'll save that on compost.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
                  WOW , enjoy your new allotment , and remember we like to see lots of photos.
                  As you wish:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210307_105949s.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	743.2 KB
ID:	2520261

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
                      Very nice
                      Certainly won't take much to lick into shape.

Comment

Wow, MBE! That looks and sounds fantastic. Best wishes for a great growing year.

Comment

That does look a tidy plot
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                            That does look a tidy plot
                            Is that a Welsh "tidy"?

I'm pleased with it. Today I have popped over and was fortunate enough to meet my plot neighbour (through whose plot I have to walk to access mine). Seems like a thoroughly nice bloke. He told me that a few of the others on site had looked after it a bit when the previous owner was struggling.

He was able to tell me the raspberries I have are autumn fruiting and give lovely big fruit. I will have to dig a few up as they're doing what raspberries do.

Comment

Do any of you have any tips for a "must have" at the plot?

I need a bigger shed and a greenhouse (no urgency as I have one at home). To get round the "only two structures" rule I'll put a base down that's 10'x8' and then slowly build something that's half shed and half greenhouse. Then I should be able to squeeze a small polytunnel in at some point down the road.

I intend to do this on a budget of £0 so everything will be scrounged or foraged.

Unfortunately I am not permitted to construct a log burner a la Snadger on his previous plot, which is a shame. Somewhere to warm my cockles and a pasty would have been nice. I was most envious of that work.

On my list are a wee pond (not a pond to wee in), some kind of bug hotel and flowers to encourage pollinators. A comfrey patch seems sensible. Compost bins (although I have inherited a dalek). I'm pretty sure I should have a scarecrow too.

Anything else?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X