No announcement yet.

Organic allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bet you could make some allotment friends by giving away the raspberry canes if they're that good.

That sounds like a comprehensive list of necessaries. Palette for storing hay (or other mulch material) on? Separate bin or area for making leaf mould? Chair and table?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
      Bet you could make some allotment friends by giving away the raspberry canes if they're that good.

That sounds like a comprehensive list of necessaries. Palette for storing hay (or other mulch material) on? Separate bin or area for making leaf mould? Chair and table?
      I think the raspberries are like rhubarb - everyone who wants some has already got it. I seem to have inherited 3 new rhubarb plants which will probably have to come out at some point as the two I have at home give me plenty.

I have also inherited a stool and two broken plastic chairs. Repairable I think. I'll make some sort of bench when I've built a proper shed. Space might be a bit limited for much more than a compost bin but we'll see how it goes.
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

One thing I keep on meaning to do is a build a plant-washing station. We have really claggy clay soil, so it would be nice to clean it off before taking it back.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
          One thing I keep on meaning to do is a build a plant-washing station. We have really claggy clay soil, so it would be nice to clean it off before taking it back.
          Me too! I can then hoodwink OH into believing the veg came from a supermarket, although I notice some supermarkets are selling wonky veg like mine anyway.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You definitely need somewhere to sit for a coffee/daydream/picnic. If the chairs aren’t fixable, it’s fairly easy to make a 2 seater bench from old pallets ;-)

The other really useful thing I find really useful is a small patch of grass at the corner of the plot for wiping mud off my boots before going home!
            Last edited by Chestnut; 10-05-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

We wash off with a hand brush in a bucket of water, then either pour the muddy water back onto the beds or into the compost
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

We grow in our garden but I too think it’d be good to have a designated washing startion for the veggies. So much gets washed down my sink even though it’s hosed first.

I’ve even thought of attaching an old Belfast sink under my garden tap with a bucket underneath it.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
                  We wash off with a hand brush in a bucket of water, then either pour the muddy water back onto the beds or into the compost
                  i do the same, keeping the bucket and brush next to my GH.
                  Last edited by Bren In Pots; 11-05-2021, 08:51 AM.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

You could use a kids sand pit.
                    They do not have drain holes until I drill them prior to using them for seedlings with a sheet of window glass over the top.
                    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
                      You definitely need somewhere to sit for a coffee/daydream/picnic. If the chairs aren’t fixable, it’s fairly easy to make a 2 seater bench from old pallets ;-)
                      I've repaired the old plastic chairs, and they will go back to the communal area, as a mate has given me two folding wooden chairs which will be easier to store in the little shed.

I foraged a little chimnea that had been left out for the scrap man - should be an easy repair to make it useable. That's my daydreaming spot sorted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210402_171703.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	2525077
                      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                        You could use a kids sand pit.
                        They do not have drain holes until I drill them prior to using them for seedlings with a sheet of window glass over the top.
                        I know where someone's dumped one of those...I was thinking of using it for a pond but it's blue and will look rubbish. Maybe a seed bed is a better idea.

Comment

I used an old bath tub as a pond. I am going to try to get moss to grow on it.
                          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post

Proof I'm getting old, but the ground gets further away all the time. Plus there's something really annoying about putting the cleaned veg on the muddy ground.

but a sink is just a bucket with accessories after all...

also, not quite in the same league, but a bottle-opener, a lighter and a stash of cable-ties have all been immensely handy.

how about a bean-frame? I had a wooden one for five years made from salvaged wood. The replacement is angle-iron.

Comment

how about a bean-frame? I had a wooden one for five years made from salvaged wood. The replacement is angle-iron.
                              Similar thing BM, our bean frames are made from steam pipe and the crossmembers are at shoulder height, makes fastening canes to them loads easier than reaching up.
                              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

my beanframe. It's about 6' tall when it's in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X