No announcement yet.

1st Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, have also just taken possession of 1st plot (5 rod) and looking forward to getting it cleared enough to make a start. I think I have been fairly lucky with it as although it is grassed over (recently cut right down) there appear to be no other weeds to speak of and no rubbish left. Have inherited a nice row of blackberry bushes tho. Is this a good time to start thinning these out as they are a bit overgrown? Also setting up compost bin this week using trusty old pallets, is it ok to compost shredded paper in reasonably small quantities?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayt View Post
      I ...now have 2 sheds on my new one!
      Hey!
      People will talk
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
        is it ok to compost shredded paper in reasonably small quantities?
        It's ideal - a layer of shreddies, and a layer of greens.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Hey!
          People will talk
          I know, especially as I was asked by our site rep if I wanted to transfer to this one when he knew it was going to become vacant before it actually was

Comment

No, I meant ... people will talk if they think I'm shacked up with you on your plot ..

Comment

Oh dear I'm having a senior moment but it is Friday afternoon!! That could be a good thread for general chit chat

Comment

Originally posted by Tori View Post
                Where's ya proof then Bob? Let's have some photos!
                here are the requested piccys. What ya think ??
                Attached Files
                "When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
                So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!" Brian O'Rourke

Comment

When I moved onto my plot about 3 years ago, one of the Wise Old Men that all allotments seem to have informed me that
                  'A bottle of whisky's not a bad thing to keep in your shed'
                  So naturally, I followed his expert advice

Comment

Not a bad idea but the security on the shed is not good enough for my single malt at the moment.
                    "When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.

Comment

Next question oh experianced and knowledgeable ones ... what is the best/cheapest way to construct the paths on the plot ? We're hoping to be able to get some scaffold boards to build the beds but what do we do about the paths ?
                      Last edited by Beetroot Bob; 28-11-2008, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Cheapest option is just dirt.
                        A bit mucky in the wet though, so cover paths with some wood chippings if you can get some free (we get them free from a local groundsman)

Flagstones, concrete slabs are also good ... ask on your local Freecycle

Comment

I've had my plot three years (well two plots actually!) First year I spent laying out the beds and just had 'dirt' paths.....no edges, which work fine btw. As long as you only walk on the paths the beds automatically become 'raised'
                          Second year I re-did beds (you never get it right first time.) I also started to put temporary wooden surrounds around beds (as each scrounged piece became available.
                          During all this time I was and am stockpiling bricks and breezeblocks as they become available to make more permanent beds in the future.
                          Earlier this year I managed to get most of my beds (about 24) surrounded with timber. I also managed to procure a load of 25kg grass seed bags. Split in half they just fit in between my paths nicely and are porous (a bit like teram) As Secretary of our allotment association I managed to get a local tree surgeon to drop us off loads of wood chippings for nowt!
                          All my paths now have woodchip which makes life a whole lot easier! This year I hope to start laying the brick surrounds to the four foot wide beds and because I garden on a slope these will also be terraced (ie one brick high at back and two at front!)

In essence what I am saying is don't expect 'instant' gardening. Give the allotment time to evolve and work with whatever you have available!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I, on the other hand [as we gardeners are a fickle lot] had my plot newly rotavated, so had clods of clay and needed paths pretty much immediately.

If you click the linear legume blog linkie below, I have put photos of our lottie, and the first thing I did was to put down weed fabric to make paths [scroll down].

i obtained a job lot of wood from a bloke on his way to the tip, and am currently making bed sides around most of the bed, along with collecting pallets to make up the rest of the sides.

At home, we have bark on top of our weed fabric, and all the beds were made as soon as the lawn was rotavated.

I totally agree with Snadger and Two_Sheds, make plans and get as much as you can for nothing, and it will evolve as you go.
                            Last edited by zazen999; 29-11-2008, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Cheers folks I'm on the hunt for scaffold boards or any other suitable wood to build the bed sides. I had thought of woodchip but thought it would cost a bit I'll do some hunting and see if I can find a local tree Doc with some spare.

Comment

Ah ha! Good proof Bob - the pictures are great, well done on your hard work. I on the other hand have done nothing! Been laid up with a bad cold and it rained (buckets) all weekend. However I have Friday off work and am raring to go. Just going to redesign bed layout - again.
                                Tori

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X