No announcement yet.

Allotments- unfair system!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't get ours cleared or quite frankly any help what so ever - not sure why I should do either, you're not going to get the not-very-committeds bothering to clear the site and therefore they'd probably not take it on, leaving it available for somebody more interested. Mind you, wehave loo on each plot, other people may call them buckets but....... Been gradually clearing ours for a bit now and have just found a load of old raised beds under a load of bramble so are rethinking the plans to make use of what's already there. Found half a bike too - no idea where the other half is but may find that in the bit we've not cleared yet!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison, our council doesn't clear plots for precisely this reason. Our allotment committee did consider clearing the difficult to let plots, but the chap from the council said it would be a waste of time, it's almost as if people value a well cleared plot less than one they've had to work hard at. We've now decided to compromise and clear one third, so that the new plot-holder has something to plant in whilst he's clearing the rest himself.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

harrow council currenly has over 300 unusrd plots from a total of nearly 1400 and are offering discounted rental (£10) to fill them,got mine in one week,obviously the gyo message has fallen on deaf ears round here!
        of the 26 plots on my site only 8-9 are growing veg,a further 7 are kept mowed,4 more are covered in couch grass & the rest look like virgin rainforest but only 2 are "vacant".
        conting the rings on the blackthorn mine has been uncultivated for at least 15 years,possibly as much as 20
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Don't get ours cleared or quite frankly any help what so ever - not sure why I should do either, you're not going to get the not-very-committeds bothering to clear the site and therefore they'd probably not take it on, leaving it available for somebody more interested.
          We find that people who come onto a cleared, ploughed and rotovated plot tend to hang around longer as they are producing edibles rather than fighting losing battles against weeds. We have work parties in the winter to clear brambles and clear rubbish from derelict plots which means we now have 100% occupancy and no unlettable plots that are 10' high in brambles and crap.

After the first month we now can tell if a plotholder will renew in September by how much commitment they have made and progress made. Some newbies turn up after 4 months and wonder why there are weeds growing on a plot that was newly cleared, invariably they jack rather quickly. Another reason to let to proven plotholders.

Comment

I quite like the half way house option mentioned by Bluemoon above, expect the plot holder to show committment but help them out too. I got mine at the end of August and haven't hardly been able to get up there until quite recently but now have it all cut back and the shed will be going up by the en of the week as well as the first beds being prepared and covered for spring. I must be a bit strange as I've found it very satisfying doing it myself and love that smug "all my own work" feeling but suppose the comaradarie of the working groups would be good in a different way too.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The plot I have just taken is on a site with around 20 plots on it, only 1 is being used in a serious way to grow anything, with another on its way to being cleared and some rather expensive raised beds being put in. I have spoken to the Council prior to taking my plot and they would really like to have a committee on site (therefore, we could apply for funding etc). They said it only takes 1 person to come onto the site and start working properly to kickstart the whole thing. I think it could be a lovely site and I'm determined to do my bit. It struck me today that people must come onto the site and think well, they've grown 1 bed of veg (4' x 6') so that's what I'm going to do when looking at other people's plots. I am determined (as always) to transform my plot, I'm very stubborn in that way lol Got to agree with Alison, I also like to say 'all my own work too!' Don't think you can get a greater sense of achievement than that. Sorry, probably gone totally off original thread!
              Last edited by MrsC; 11-10-2008, 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

OK, just don't even get me going on unfair systems!
                All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

I must say I was quite alarmed to read here that I am 'arty farty' on account of my neat, well weeded, well tended, and very productive raised beds! At the end of several hours' work on my lovely lottie, aching and covered in mud from head to toe, I certainly don't feel 'Arty' or 'Farty'! I am new to this whole allotment lark, as is my neighbouring plot holder. He has large square 'traditional' beds with gaps between rows, and I have lots of long narrow raised beds with paths between. We are both happy allotmenteers and have similar levels of success with our beds, and love to compare notes and swap things learned.

Basically, as long as you are enjoying your plot, are growing the right amount of stuff that YOU want to grow, and are doing it YOUR way, does it really matter if some people label you as arty farty, or any other word? No, it doesn't!

Kris, a happy lottie keeper x

Comment

There are those of us who utilise raised beds, and then there are luddites!
                    Last edited by pigletwillie; 19-10-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I'm a luddite then! For no rational reason it just makes me feel more in touch with the Earth!!!!!?????? I do have some small raised beds in areas where traditional beds wouldn't work, such as next to the privet, and use them for growing salad crops and the more delicate stuff. In the end it's all down to personal preference and if you're happy with your system then that's all that matters.

Comment

Your so right bluemoon, as you have found by utilising raised beds by your privet. I am one of the "unfair" people with multiple plots and have an eclectic mixture of luddite and arty farty beds.

Both have pros and cons but used together, give tremendous potential.

Comment

I understand the frustration of waiting for a plot and being positively green with envy at those who had more than one plot. I was on the waiting list for 9 months before being offered the most horrendously overgrown plot I have ever seen!

Whilst on the waiting list I regularly took a walk around the site, as it is a large site and very beautiful. What I could not understand was that there appeared to be lots of plots that were overgrown and neglected. Why, I wondered, were these plots not offered to those on the waiting list? After much badgering of the allotment secretary, I was offered my plot last August - and boy! did it need some work!

Having now had an entire season at the site I can understand a little more why these plots lie unattended. At our council site, the administration is left to the committee - people who have volunteered to give up their time and energy to oversee the weekly running of the site. Our secretary, a very nice man who works full time, has a plot to maintain and is in charge of offering the plots explained the process to me. Five years ago the plot was under threat from developers. The site is a very large one (approx 150 plots), and more than half were unused. So the older die-hards took on extra plots to keep it looking productive. Some have 3 or 4 plots, where they plant ground consuming pumpkins, squash and potatoes. However, there are roughly 20 plots that are in a very bad state - overgrown with brambles, couch, bindweed and dock. Every October (rent time), the secretary contacts people on the list and offers the available plots. Some turn up to look, some don't. Those that aren't scared off by the state of the plots accept and pay their rent. One or two make a commitment and stay the course, turning the wasteland into a productive plot slowly - myself and hubby one of them. Others turn up once or twice and are so overwhelmed or not committed enough that they never come back (except to have a BBQ and party during high summer!). Others arrive at their plots to look and moan and complain that they have been offered this sadly neglected plot whilst 'Fred' over there has 3 clean, tidy and productive plots - why can't they have one of his? Why should they have this nightmare when 'Fred' has more than his fair share of sheds, polytunnels and beautifully dug beds?

The other problem (getting back on track!) is the red tape associated with our council run site. Getting tenants kicked off for not tending their plots is not as easy as it sounds. There are several plot inspections each year. First of all the committee have to agree a mutually convenient time for inspection (they all have other commitments). Then they trawl the site, making notes and observations and picking out the sites where there is no obvious work happening. They try to take into account people who have a disability and cannot work the land as effectively as a more able bodied person etc. Then they sit down, issue letters of concern to the tenants, stating that they have 30 days to improve their site before the next inspection. If that inspection shows no obvious improvement then they will be issued with a notice to quit (another 30 days). This is all by the council directive. The committee cannot speed the process up, despite their wish to do so.

What happens? The absent plotholders do not like to think they will lose their plot and current fashion status, so they turn up on the warmest day just before the next inspection, dig over a bed, throw some plastic down and generally make it look like someone has been to the plot recently. By council directive they have responded to the warning and therefore are safe till the next inspection - when the whole charade starts again.

And all the time, people on the waiting list stay there, twidling their thumbs with frustration.

Oops! bit of an essay but having seen the situation from both ends, I feel that the council do not give the committee enough support. Those old-timers with more than one plot would be happy to give up a plot to someone who will work the land and keep the site from the clutches of developers. Sadly, they have not yet seen enough evidence to release these well tended and loved plots into the hands of the council.

Comment

DUGGIE
                            Brilliant essay, IMO you have covered everything in a very fair manner

Comment

Duggie, I could have written that! This is exactly what is happening on most allotments today. Spot on.
                              Last edited by bluemoon; 21-10-2008, 03:13 PM.

Comment

allotment waiting list

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
                                i have just applied for an allotment in my area but after reading these threads im expecting a long wait
                                hi
                                i was on the list for nearly two years .i was no. 26 on the list when i put my name down there is now over 120 on the band wagon. just keep ringing the council at least once a month and they will realise how keen you are. people who i have got to know have queue jumped because of there constant nagging. however when i got my plot this women was boasting that she was on the list list for just three weeks, saying its not what you know its who you know. after a couple of months she is no where to be seen (lazy sod). i am pretty certain queue jumping does go on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X