X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
    BRIDE
    'unofficially' lend a bit of space to people who wanted to try it out
    We have on our site a few of the arty farty gardeners who have installed raised beds and bark paths which mean they are only using half the plot, maybe if we got them to go back to the old fashion strip method they could let someone have a bit of their plot.
    I grow my veg on raised beds. It keeps my patch more clean and tidier than the other plots due to easy management. I probably use nine tenths of the plot one tenth being used for paths, shed, compost heap, so most is used for growing fruit and veg. I probably grow more veg this way than others.
    good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

Paths and raised beds "Arty Farty", bit of a strong statement. I have raised beds and chipping paths because it's easier for my wife to go to the plots (Oh yes I have 3, a villian again perhaps) and water and weed during the week. Plus I have arthritis, so am planning for the future so I can still use the plot if things get worse.

The council couldn't give the plots away a couple of years ago and in a fit of madness I took on 3, I have spent 2 hard years working and a considerable amount of money to get these plots how I want them.

As far as I'm aware most site are Allotment Gardens and you can grow what ever you like, not just for vegging. Our council have the allotment gardens where the rule is it must be kept tidy and if laid to grass, then it must be kept mowed. There are a number of families there that grow basically nothing but go down there with their kids and spend the whole day just playing/relaxing. There are climbing frames, swings & playhouses on them but hardly anything growing. These families live in flats and they are perfectly within their rights to rent a plot within those rules.

I have noticed that some of them are now putting in a few rows of cabbages etc, so maybe they are learning & of course their kids as well, that as with any garden, you can use it for more things than first meets the eye.

Personally I say good luck to them and long live the diversity of "The Allotment Gardens"
      Last edited by Stacey Steve; 05-10-2008, 08:07 AM.
      I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

I had my name down for my allotment and got given 2 plots in Feb. this year, now I know why I was given 2 plots cos no one wants any plots where mine is it’s so run down no one ever their when I go down, it has 90 plots on the site and think just about 8 are in use other than that its free for all.
        I dug out 4 beds weeded and planted my veg = potatoes, carrots, onions, peas, and salad crops plus cabbage, caulis and sewed. Took me 6 months of hard work getting it tidy and ready for planting out my first year veg was very excited and couldn’t wait till I could start harvesting my first crop.
        What a flop it was every veg was robbed I got nothing but a few left over bits, I just couldn’t believe my eyes, came home and felt defeated and wonder if it is worth bothering with.
        I have emailed the council who own the plot and left many messages on the phone but no reply as yet.
        I have still got my garden plot doing beautifully and had a really lovely turn out of veg.

very un happy allotment plot owner
        Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Originally posted by gardenplot View Post
          I had my name down for my allotment and got given 2 plots in Feb. this year, now I know why I was given 2 plots cos no one wants any plots where mine is it’s so run down no one ever their when I go down, it has 90 plots on the site and think just about 8 are in use other than that its free for all.
          I dug out 4 beds weeded and planted my veg = potatoes, carrots, onions, peas, and salad crops plus cabbage, caulis and sewed. Took me 6 months of hard work getting it tidy and ready for planting out my first year veg was very excited and couldn’t wait till I could start harvesting my first crop.
          What a flop it was every veg was robbed I got nothing but a few left over bits, I just couldn’t believe my eyes, came home and felt defeated and wonder if it is worth bothering with.
          I have emailed the council who own the plot and left many messages on the phone but no reply as yet.
          I have still got my garden plot doing beautifully and had a really lovely turn out of veg.

very un happy allotment plot owner
          thats dreadful, all that hard work and someone else helps themselves to the rewards!!
          what is the security like there, if any?
          Vive Le Revolution!!!
          'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
          Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Hey, I've got raised beds and bark paths and I can see that some traditionalists might think it's wasting space but with severe back problems have to do my gardening sitting down. I can't do traditional digging either so raised beds are ideal for me. I've got 17 and all are in use, full of winter veg, newly planted onion sets and garlic. A lot of the traditional plots on my site are now empty, being dug over and left during the winter, my ground gets emptied, compost added back in and replanted right away, so I can probably produce just as much over the long-term.
            And
            I live in a v small flat, not even a window box, so my allotment is also my garden, I spend a lot of time there and having flowers and sitting space was part of my plan from the outset. You wouldn't know the circs to look at it, might just think its wasted space that could be growing more veg, but the ability to be able to sit and enjoy the good weather is priceless to me.
            Sue

Comment

My plot is split into 9 beds [soon to be raised thanks to a bloke chucking away loads of wood on friday], and I get from just 2 of my beds what the next door lot get out of the half a plot planted in the 'traditional' way.
              It's because the traditional way of growing in rows doesn't account for paths between. if you measured a path between each row, it would take up more space than making permanent paths between beds, raised or otherwise.

It's not arty farty, it's best use of space.

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
                thats dreadful, all that hard work and someone else helps themselves to the rewards!!
                what is the security like there, if any?
                No!! No security at all and the fence i put up around my plot is also kicked down.
                Just feel so let down by the council no replys from any of my emails or phone calls.
                Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Originally posted by gardenplot View Post
                  No!! No security at all and the fence i put up around my plot is also kicked down.
                  Just feel so let down by the council no replys from any of my emails or phone calls.
                  well if i was you , forget emails and phone calls, they are too easy for them to ignore when they don't want to get into the argument. Get down there in person and demand to see the person responsible for that department.
                  Last edited by BrideXIII; 05-10-2008, 11:39 AM.
                  Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                    I've got 17 and all are in use, full of winter veg, newly planted onion sets and garlic.
                    17!!!!!!!! Is that a typo? There's only 10 on my entire site and the though of managing even half of those makes me feel overwelmed. Like the idea of one day managing a couple but not 17!!!!!!!!!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      17!!!!!!!! Is that a typo? There's only 10 on my entire site and the though of managing even half of those makes me feel overwelmed. Like the idea of one day managing a couple but not 17!!!!!!!!!
                      i think uyou will find thats raised beds, not plots
                      Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Thanks goodness for that, must read more carefully in future - was amazed by Sue's energy, especially with a bad back

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I do not have a issue with raised bed's but the turn over of tennants i did have three plot's but i have given one up because we have a waiting list the first time in year's .
                          Any way getting back to the turn over of tennant's the plot next to me i have rotovated it for five different tennants in five years nothing wrong with the plot but they soon get tired usualy after the pub's open and they remember we should be some where else .
                          If they could get it planted as well as the hoeing i think they might last a bit longer this my humble opinion jacob marley
                          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Hi Gardenplot
                            We also had an allotment this year - in April. It took us ages to sort it out (it was so overgrown with brambles) and managed to get things ready for some runner-beans, cabbages, beetroot & tomatoes. I went down there one morning in September to find the whole thing trashed and all our hardwork destroyed. It really upset me and I couldn't go down there for a week or two. But now we are getting the whole plot ready for the spring and making sure the ground is really good. We've also got some broadbeans overwintering.
                            Don't let those sad people who go around mindlessly vandalising and stealing from plots get you down - soon it'll be spring and imagine all the fun that's going to bring! There are also some really good hints on these forums on how to keep vandals at bay - like growing brambles around the borders of your allotment. Plus you'll get great blackberries!
                            Good Luck
                            M

Comment

nettles are good too, keep them under control though lol.
                              make great tea, and early spring veg tonic.
                              Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Could be worse............could be children!!!!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X