No announcement yet.

Weeds on the compost... silly question?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeds on the compost... silly question?

ok this may sound like a silly question...

When I clear my allotment, what should I do with all the weeds? Can they go on the compost heap? Or is it a case of sending them up in smoke?

Sorry if its obvious.

Firstly, well done on taking the plunge....i hope you get loads of enjoyment from your allotment.

As for the weeds, generally you can compost annual weeds but with perennial weeds you may be better off burning or bagging and removing etc.

In practice when clearing an allotment it may be an idea to just dump them all in a heap in the corner. This way you do not have to be to strict about how much soil is still attached to the roots etc. It will all rot down over time and can then be spread back onto the garden. You may find that some of the perennials do start to grow again...just pull them out and dispose how you wish.
    I have assumed you want to weed by hand (not compulsery!)
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Thanks Geordie. I was going to build 2 compost bins next to the shed. Would it be an idea to have one bin full of weed waste and the other with normal? Or keep this waste as far away from the normal compost heap? I was planning on weeding by hand.. do you mean as apposed to using machinery? I thought i'd save the money and do it manually. This way I have more money left over for buying the wood to build the shed/beds/bins/etc

Comment

You can certainly use the two bins side by side, or one for compost, one for manure and one heap for weeds....it really is up to you.

Often new allotments are mass weeded by using weedkiller as a one off to get the plot cleared for you to start. This is the main alternative to hand weeding.

Wood....I get most of mine for free...pallets, industrial estates, buildings being demolished, skips etc. I see the beauty of an allotment as being able to cobble things together that just would not do if in my garden! If you ask generally people let you have their 'scrap' or surplass. I get all my window frames (for making cold frames), guttering (for sowing peas in) and all manner of stuff!
        Geordie

Comment

Peas and guttering

Originally posted by Geordie
          I get all my window frames (for making cold frames), guttering (for sowing peas in) and all manner of stuff!
          Geordie,

How do you use the guttering for your peas? I'm intriged... I just planted my peas directly in the soil and when they pop up I'll be sticking some canes for support....
          Acorn

Comment

What you do is fill the guttering with compost, (this is half guttering like at the top of a house), plant the pea seeds in the compost. This is then overwintered in the greenhouse. When ready a small furrow is made in the soil outside and the peas are literally slid into the furrow by pulling the guttering along the furrow at an angle of approx 45 degrees, sliding the compost out and seeds with it. The peas do not suffer any disturbance.

Hope this is clear, diagram might have been better!
            Geordie

Comment

very clever idea, does it work with other plants?

Comment

guttering

That is a great idea! I will try that with the peas in the spring. Thanks Geordie!
                Acorn

Comment

Wizer our local council has an offer on at the moment for compost bins at £5 each delivered to your door RRP is £49. They are much better than the homemade ones we had before. Why don't you see if your local council has the same offer on?
                  [

Comment

thanks lesley. Our council are charging £15 each plus £5 delivery.

Comment

WiZeR you can also get water butts from some water companies, set up some guttering on your shed and drain it in - you will be surprised how soon it fills up even if it seems like there has not been much rain.

A nice way to save water.
                      Liam

Latest garden pics (16th April 2006)

Comment

We collect the rain water in a butt from the guttering on the greenhouse and use that to water everything in the greenhouse. On the allotments we have a water butt on both plots and when there hasn't been any rain we fill the butts up using a hose pipe and then we can use that water to fill up the watering cans. You don't have as far to carry the watering cans that way.
                        [

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X