No announcement yet.

Allotment Know-it-alls

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its recently came to a head when the Know-it-all told my son the hoe he had just bought was 'crap' (his words) and he should take it back and buy one like his.
    He then spent a good twenty minutes droning on about the virtues of his 'Supadupa Excel 5000 Wondahoe, complete with Go-Faster stripes and all terain grips'

Its taken a lot of work to get my lad into allotmenteering - I really could have done without this big-mouthed to$$er!
    Frank
    ....never buy a dwarf with learning difficulties - it's not big and its not clever!

Comment

Allotment men are worse gossips than women are. They stir up so much trouble and aggravation amongst themselves.
      They're just bored ... newbies are good sport, and they can show off their knowledge & experience to someone else at last. I hate to say it, but men do need to feel superior to women, as well. Just put up with it, you won't change them.

It's your plot, do what you like. You have to make mistakes in order to learn. You can't learn everything all at once. Once in a while, you'll make a great discovery by doing it "differently". But do take advice graciously if it's meant well.

People don't like someone to come in and do it differently ~ because it's like being told your way is wrong.
      I see newbies next to my plot doing it all wrong, but I keep shtum until I am asked for my opinion (they strimmed off the couch grass instead of digging it out ... now it's all coming up amongst their crops and they can't get it out).
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Effigy View Post
        Its recently came to a head when the Know-it-all told my son the hoe he had just bought was 'crap' (his words) and he should take it back and buy one like his.
        That's my Father in Law, that is !
        I get told I'm wrong all the time ... I shouldn't cycle, I should drive. I shouldn't be vegetarian, I should grow my hair, I should this and that, and t'other. I get told how to grow my allotment (despite having 13 yrs experience, as against his Nil years)
        It really winds me up, so I just avoid spending time with that person now.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I find if you do really really strange things they leave you alone.

Like, building a bed with a mound on the top [flattened off] and a moat around the outside. Then leaving it for a couple of months and just weeding it.

Once you have all the weeds sorted, sow carrots and onions on the top and put leeks around the outside.

Then leave it again.

They have no idea what it is.

Carrots and onions grow, and as you pull them, the soil falls over into the moat, blanching the leeks. Simple.

I'm the only one who has beds, so i don't grow in rows.

Now my plot is flourishing they have backed off.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            Don't want to sound big headed here but............... I have the opposite problem. My allotment neighbours ask ME for advice without realising I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about!
            Fibber! See Snadger's pants on fire! I've never heard you talk anything but sense, you little rascal!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I only got my half plot in March. However, last year at the village show I was spurred on by the good-natured competition here with our virtual veg show, and I entered some vegetables for the first time. I put 3 things in, got a first a second and a third prize and instantly got the respect of the allotment crowd (especially the bloke who ALWAYS gets a first with his broad beans.) They are often puzzled by what I grow - no-one's seen purple podded peas or borlotti beans before, no-one's heard of most of the toms I'm growing. However, they happily chat to me about them, and I've been given spare lettuce plants etc. I think after a season, when they can see that you are a serious vegetable grower, the constant telling you what to do will die the death. Assuming you haven't died of anger/boredom in between, that is.

Comment

Oh yeah, I also forgot. Grow stuff they won't have seen before either.

I've got oca, romanesco, quinoa and I'm waiting for anyone to ask 'what are they?' Ok, romanesco look just like broccolli at the moment but in a few months...

Comment

What I enjoy about allotment advice is how it is often completely contradictory.

I like to experiment and some of my ideas have been laughed at for a year or two and then, if they turn out well, I find that suddenly others will be copying me. Also I find that some of the things suggested to me- that I have initially though were silly- I have later seen the sense in and will try and fit into my schedule. There are pros and cons to a lot of methods and it is a matter of finding what works for you. We all have our successes and failures and you'll find that something you grow will be better than your neighbours and you can all learn from each other.

A few weeks ago a newbie lady at our site told me I would be best to earth up J artichokes...'Oh, I didn't know that' says I. She gave a little cheer and a big smile because she taught me something...very sweet.

Although I appreciate that some folk are not particularly good at being subtle, can be irritating or worse stop you getting on with your work. The majority of folk are well meaning and encouraging...They want you to succeed and stay.

Those saddos who are truly only putting you down to massage their own egos are few and far between and will soon tire of you when the next Johny/Jilly come lately arrives.

An allotment is not a private garden its a community and you must try and make friends there or you will be missing out on a very rewarding part of the experiance. What is more if you fall out with someone you may find that the bad atmosphere will spoil your enjoyment and cause you to stop going. Remain positive and try and draw the best out of this chap.

Comment

Great idea zazen

Love the idea of a mound and a moat . If I ever get to the stage where people start giving me unwanted comments, I might just do that (Our allotment site is new and only 4 people working on it as yet - all very friendly and cozy so far)
                    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Just tell them you've not long been out of prison and this is the first time that the authorities have let you have one since the trouble last time and that its good to have a fork in your hands again!!! :-)
                      Last edited by number 1 suspect; 11-07-2008, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by number 1 suspect View Post
                        Just tell them you've not long been out of prison and this is the first time that the authorities have let you have one since the trouble last time and that its good to have a fork in your hands again!!! :-)
                        ... and not have to have corks on the tines!

Comment

Don't want to sound big headed here but............... I have the opposite problem. My allotment neighbours ask ME for advice without realising I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about!

But you are my GYO hero!!!

Wren
                          Last edited by Wren; 11-07-2008, 08:46 PM.

Comment

not much do don't,you have more knowledge than you let on bonny wee lad,no need to hide your light
                            Last edited by lottie dolly; 11-07-2008, 09:02 PM.
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Well I have had nothing but encouragement from the old brigade on my site .last year I had an awful plot flooded out all the year. the idiot who had the plot before me removed all the top soil from my half[I did not know this being a newby] my plot was lower than the rest.One old allotmenteer told the chairman about my problem, and now I have a wonderful plot. and the advice I am given is second to none .I think I am very lucky and I have not met any Nelly no alls yet .
                              Bridgehouse

Comment

We only really have 1 know all on our site & thankfully since we took on our plot ther's been lots more newcomers so they are now the focus of his "advice"(more often criticism!).The rest of the"gang" tend to be really supportive & for the most part only offer advice when asked,&many of them despite their many years of experience are of the attitude that they themselves are still learning.
                                On the subject of learning from your own mistakes,I agree to a degree but when you consider that with many crops you only get a couple of attempts per season I think it's sometimes just as good to swallow a little pride & look/ask around what works well,.I can remember on a couple of occassions stubbornly doing it my way just so I didn't do as the know-all advised~by the time my attempts had failed the season was over & an almost year long wait to try again!Hold yor head high,no need to be ashamed of bein a novice,give your methods/ideas a try,but don't totally blank out well meant advice.
                                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X