No announcement yet.

Potato growing bags

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys. First post on this forum and I'm a newbie to veg gardening. I've created some raised beds in my small garden but hoping to grow stuff on the patio too as I've got lots of tubers to go in. Do any of you know where I can get quite a few plastic buckets cheaply for growing spuds and stuff? I would like to buy in bulk online if possible but on eBay, they only have a deal for 2 or 350!

Thanks for your help.
    http://www.norwoodgarden.blogspot.com/

Comment

try LBS they might sell "smaller" quantities, failing that try your local pound shop & keep you eye on florists as they sometimes sell the black ones if they are cracked. Another source of smaller buckets is bakers, they have jam in 2 gallon jobs, our local baker charges 50p & it goes straight into the Air Ambulance box so a worth cause - ming you it costs me about a tenner for all those lovely cream cakes
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

They sound great, especially the bit about no damage. Eelworm always been a bit of a problem for me.

Comment

Emma, Try restaurants or pubs that serve food. They're sure to have the big blue mayonaise buckets that they usually throw out.
          Don't forgrt to drill a few drainage holes in.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. Would these planter bags work do you think -

Woven planter bags

They come will drainage holes already in them too!

Comment

They probably would be okay, but personally I would just reuse an old compost bag and make a few holes with a fork, much cheaper and with the same results - tyres are good too.
              Best wishes
              Andrewo
              Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Try NA Kays mel, they do ome poly pots that are about half that price and in various sizes. I agree with andrew and think Compost bags a OK, not sure about tyres though, there could be all sorts on them.
                ntg

Comment

Thanks both. Planted some earlies in old compost bags at the weekend and will have a look at the poly pots at NA Kays.

Comment

I Planted mine out in compost bags yesterday - I bought two varieties, Pentland Javlin and Desiree, but stupidly forgot to label the egg boxes I left them in to chit, so not sure what I've planted out - whether they are all one variety or a mix - I put four in each compost bag and can't find the origianl bags from B&Q that have still got some tubers in, so I can't compare them to see which I was planting.

So it's going to be a lucky dips suprise when it comes to harvest time.

Comment

Desiree has red skins and is a main crop and Pentland Javelin has brown skins and is an early.
                      [

Comment

so they are - I must have just put out Pentland Javlin to chit as they were all brown skinned...must find the original bags and put out some Desiree to chit so I can plant them later on in the year...thanks for clearing that up - at least I now know that I've got two batches of the same type of potato on the go.

Comment

Eskymo, I use a permanent marker and writ the names of the potato on the seed potato I am chitting. Got the tip from the photo in GYO that went with the Allan Romans piece a few months ago. OK writing on the seed spuds was not mentioned but someone had done it for the photo.
                          Jax

Comment

I've gone for Cara again this year for my barrels, was tempted by desiree but the last crop I did with them I screwed up, don't ask, just watered at the wrong time...
                            Best wishes
                            Andrewo
                            Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

I've got Rocket, Winston,Charlotte & Nadine under the staging at the moment plus a few potoatoes
                              ntg

Comment

good tip re. the permanent marker - I love it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X