No announcement yet.

Should I get an allotment?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have a go and see how you get on. I love it, have 2 plots, just taken on an extra strip 11' x 30'. Fresh air, excerise and good fresh veg. what more do you want. You will meet interesting people, most will give advice if asked and help. Cover the plot with black plastic or old carpets until you can start digging, then do a bit at a time, plant, then move on to the next strip.

Best of Luck.

Comment

Just to let you know on the carpet front, here at GYO and LGV we try to advise people not to use carpet on their allotments as sadly it can have toxins in the backing which can get into your soil. It's banned on some allotments.

It's a shame as I'm all for recycling, but it's better to know in advance that carpet might not be allowed, especially if you had to carry carpet there on the bus only to be told by the site foreman that you have to take it home again!

Comment

Go for it! It's the best thing I've done in years!

If you don't get on, then at least you've tried and you'll know for sure. If you don't have a go, you'll never know. "Don't knock it, 'till you've tried it" as they say. (who are "they" anyways?).

It sounds cliche', but I really do feel my plot has changed my life - maybe not in some momentous, or epiphanous sense, but in my appreciation for nature, seasons, environment and alike.

The beauty I find with my plot is that I can do things there that I wouldn't do in my garden - and no, I don't mean running around stark b-lock nekkid, I mean being a bit more "rustic" or less formal, and a bit experimental. I know what I mean anyway.

As for putting carpet down, I find laminate easier to keep clean.
        Last edited by HeyWayne; 27-02-2008, 04:00 PM.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Go on Sez. Go on, go on, go on! You know you want to!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Yep - go for it!
            You'll know after a year if it's what you want to be doing! ( can't see you'd want to give it up though if you're already growing in tour garden though!)
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

should I get an allotment?......mmm.....does a one legged duck swim in circles?

Comment

Sez, I joined here in November having just moved into (yet another) RAF house, I had chucked a link-a-bord raised bed in garden so that I could get something underway soonest.

December edition of the local Parish mag said 'lotties coming up if you want one' - so I asked these lovely Grapes on here was it worth me getting one giving that I might only be here a couple years. The answer - a resounding, nay, a deafening YES Piskie get on and do it.

Got lottie in January and it is just the best to go up there. Do it, do it dooo it

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                ......(who are "they" anyways?).
                dunno lad, but don't they go on, always got something to say about something
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

And another reason to get a lottie is that you can get YEARS more use out of your old clothes!!!

Comment

A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Yes...

Simple really...
                      Our little corner of the blogging world www.growingourown.co.uk

Comment

Yes, definitely give it a go. You can stop if you dont like it - but you will like it and you wont stop, honestly!!
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

thanks for all the advice folks, think i'll go for it asap!

Comment

Sez
                            Glad to see that everyone's positive messages have convinced you. I'd just like to add that as a very unfit person - very bad back - can cope, little and often and lots of sit downs. Raised beds help as it means I can sit down to do weeding and planting and finding out about no-dig gardening has been a godsend, noway could I do heavy digging. So you are about to find out the joys of allotment gardening. I went from no garden at all and no experience of one to a half allotment, that quickly became too as I took over the next door plot and I love it so much, it's my piece of heaven and I'm sure you'll find your own stress-relief, joy at being out in the fresh air and growing and eating such wonderful fruit and veg.
                            best wishes
                            Sue

Comment

Make your day the happiest day of your life get an allotment

"YES" "YES" "YES"
                              Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Originally posted by gardenplot View Post
                                Make your day the happiest day of your life get an allotment

"YES" "YES" "YES"
                                Could be perhaps a little biased today gardenplot????

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X