What have I done?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I done?!

Got my key today, ran straight up to the allotment then proceeded to spend 3 hours hacking away at brambles, they're popping up EVERYWHERE! I'm sure more popped up while I was there please send help!....... Or just a few words of encouragement for a complete novice whose desperately trying to convince herself she hasn't bitten off more than she can chew!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_01-10-04.20.13.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	2407717

Name:	PicsArt_01-10-04.22.28.jpg
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	2407718

Name:	PicsArt_01-10-04.26.15.jpg
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	2407719

Name:	PicsArt_01-10-04.28.38.jpg
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	2407720

Name:	PicsArt_01-10-04.29.29.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	2407721

Name:	PicsArt_01-10-04.31.52.jpg
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	2386002

Today's progress

Name:	PicsArt_01-10-04.32.55.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2386003

Name:	PicsArt_01-10-04.33.38.jpg
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	2386004

Comment

It good that you're talking plenty of photos it does give you a boost to look back and see all the progress. You've done well for your first afternoon
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

You will get there. It looks a lot like ours' did when we got them 15 or so years ago. Are you doing it on your own? Try and rope in some help from friends/family for the early stages. We didn't but I wish we had. I remember when we first started a neighbour saying "it will get easier eventually". I didn't believe her, but it did.

Comment

Just don't try and do it all in one lump, make up sections and clear a smaller bit so you can see progress and that will be ready for planting. Do the rest a bit at a time and enjoy planning how you want it to turn out.

Comment

Every time you go there, you'll make progress. You seem to have found a cabbage bed so the plot will have been in use fairly recently.
            I deal with brambles by cutting them down to about knee height, then levering them out with a fork. So satisfying when each plant comes up. They spread by tip suckering, so some of the long whippy branches will have small roots that can be pulled up quite easily Its fun and very satisfying - believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
              It good that you're talking plenty of photos it does give you a boost to look back and see all the progress. You've done well for your first afternoon
              Yes, I'm hoping the pictures will help me to see how far it's come on the days I feel like I'm not getting anywhere!

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
              You will get there. It looks a lot like ours' did when we got them 15 or so years ago. Are you doing it on your own? Try and rope in some help from friends/family for the early stages. We didn't but I wish we had. I remember when we first started a neighbour saying "it will get easier eventually". I didn't believe her, but it did.
              Hubbys helping, he actually seemed to be enjoying himself today which was unexpected haha! I don't drive anymore so my dad's offered to help with the shifting to & from and I'm sure both my mum & dad will pitch in if needed, the 6 year old has also offered up his services although the 11 year old flat out refused!

Originally posted by burnie View Post
              Just don't try and do it all in one lump, make up sections and clear a smaller bit so you can see progress and that will be ready for planting. Do the rest a bit at a time and enjoy planning how you want it to turn out.
              Yes I'm hoping to get some done & planted in this year the rest chopped & covered for next. I'm one of those that wants everything done yesterday but I'm trying my best to set short goalposts and enjoy the achievement, I don't want to run out of steam before I even get going properly

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Every time you go there, you'll make progress. You seem to have found a cabbage bed so the plot will have been in use fairly recently.
              I deal with brambles by cutting them down to about knee height, then levering them out with a fork. So satisfying when each plant comes up. They spread by tip suckering, so some of the long whippy branches will have small roots that can be pulled up quite easily Its fun and very satisfying - believe me.
              Yes the cabbages seemed really out of place in all that overgrowth! Pulling up the suckers and chopping the bigger branches up was incredibly therapeutic! Some of the suckers were so long! We only took loppers and a hand fork (why? Haha) today as we were only supposed to be going for a proper look before lunch but I'll be down for an hour or so tomorrow with a digging fork to try & tackle some roots!

Thanks all for the encouragement and the reassurance that there is light at the end of the tunnel, even if that tunnel is a very long one!

Comment

The tunnel grows shorter the nearer you are to the end.

(Another of VC's wise sayings )

Comment

Sorry if you know already but with blackberries what you are looking for is the knobbly fat bit of root, normally a few inches below the surface. If you cut the roots below this with secateurs/loppers/small saw and dig the nobbly bit out then the other roots will rot off and not re-sprout. It can be anything from a plum size to about the size of a fist. The suckers will have smaller roots if they are this years.

Then you only have to dig out the roots where you want to plant and hopefully will be rotting away by the time you need to do that.

Agree with others, slow and steady, accept all help offered. You’ve got loads of time yet to get bits ready for planting.

Once you have cleared an area get it covered, manure, cardboard, weed fabric, the main thing is to keep the weeds down until you can plant something.
                  Last edited by Bluenowhere; 10-01-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Enjoy.

Be warned it becomes an obsession

Comment

Wish I had an allotment....enjoy yours

Comment

Congratulations on getting your allotment. It certainly looks a huge task but you'll get there (3 hours on your first day is a good sign). Good luck with it and enjoy
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerplot51 View Post
                          Wish I had an allotment....enjoy yours

Can’t give em away on our site..

Comment

Can you get a brush cutter on it? Then you could cover as much as possible and uncover a section at a time to did out the bramble roots.
                            Good luck.

Comment

Plenty of good advice already. So I'll just pass on encouragement.

Best wishes for a happy growing year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X