No announcement yet.

What have I done?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck - I have fought about 8 metres of 2 metre deep brambles and won. It is possible - good luck!
    Watch out for those thorns though...

Comment

Thanks again all! Certainly feeling a lot more positive! It's one of those where I thought I knew what I was greeting myself into but I didn't fully appreciate the size of the task at hand,a tad overwhelming when you're completely new to it all but with the advice & encouragement on here I'm sure we'll do fine!
      Originally posted by Bluenowhere View Post
      Sorry if you know already but with blackberries what you are looking for is the knobbly fat bit of root, normally a few inches below the surface. If you cut the roots below this with secateurs/loppers/small saw and dig the nobbly bit out then the other roots will rot off and not re-sprout. It can be anything from a plum size to about the size of a fist. The suckers will have smaller roots if they are this years.

Then you only have to dig out the roots where you want to plant and hopefully will be rotting away by the time you need to do that.

Agree with others, slow and steady, accept all help offered. You’ve got loads of time yet to get bits ready for planting.

Once you have cleared an area get it covered, manure, cardboard, weed fabric, the main thing is to keep the weeds down until you can plant something.
      No I didn't know this thank you!

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Can you get a brush cutter on it? Then you could cover as much as possible and uncover a section at a time to did out the bramble roots.
      Good luck.
      I'm going to ask to see if we can take the brambles out fully, it seems to have been put there on purpose & is around quite a few of the end patches as a boundary of sorts.

Originally posted by Right Shed Fred View Post
      Good luck - I have fought about 8 metres of 2 metre deep brambles and won. It is possible - good luck!
      Watch out for those thorns though...
      Oh yes they definitely fight back don't they!

We popped down again yesterday for a couple of hours with children in tow so didn't get as much done as on Friday, but there was some progress none the less!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_01-12-11.43.28.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	2386018

The small ones dug up the cabbages

Name:	PicsArt_01-12-11.44.06.jpg
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	2386019

We found the plot boundary (bricks) through the brambles!

Name:	PicsArt_01-12-11.46.04.jpg
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	2386020

Digging began, however the youngest was throwing as much roots & nasties as I was taking out so I'll be back to that on Monday when he's at school!
      Last edited by PotteringAtPlot12; 12-01-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Always remember it is a Marathon not a Sprint...

Compost as much as you can, you will be glad of it in the long run.

Comment

I have a 36v cordless hedge trimmer which works well on brambles and nettles etc. find the strimmer not man enough.

Comment

If the brambles were put there purposefully,is there a risk of thieves getting in? Also the aphids are an early food source for ladybirds,I’m mainly thinking of security though,plot looks lovely

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
              If the brambles were put there purposefully,is there a risk of thieves getting in? Also the aphids are an early food source for ladybirds,I’m mainly thinking of security though,plot looks lovely
              Unfortunately, yes! In fact we're using some of the cuttings to seal up a gap in the fence some "lovely" people (not plot holders) are using to get in & out

Some more progress has been made, slowly but surely!

Name:	PicsArt_01-29-07.17.04.jpg
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	2386150

I went down today for a couple of hours with the main aim of clearing some ground to get the daleks set up. Mission accomplished!

Name:	PicsArt_01-29-07.19.51.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	2386151

Name:	PicsArt_01-29-07.19.31.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	2386152

Comment

Well done PAP, great to get the kids involved at an early age even if it takes a bit more patience and reworking what you’ve already done.

Comment

Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
                  Well done PAP, great to get the kids involved at an early age even if it takes a bit more patience and reworking what you’ve already done.
                  I can't fault his enthusiasm!

Comment

Good advice to clear bit by bit create a bed and get something growing, well spaced onions or similar so you can weed between them, you'll still get dormant seeds germinating.
                    When the weather improves a clearing party is always popular, a few bottles of wine/ beer jacket pots in the bonfire and all your mates round. Great fun, invite other plot holders too.
                    Best of luck keep posting the pics of progress

Comment

Originally posted by Essexboy View Post
                      Good advice to clear bit by bit create a bed and get something growing, well spaced onions or similar so you can weed between them, you'll still get dormant seeds germinating.
                      When the weather improves a clearing party is always popular, a few bottles of wine/ beer jacket pots in the bonfire and all your mates round. Great fun, invite other plot holders too.
                      Best of luck keep posting the pics of progress
                      Thank you!

Another weeks progress and we are finally starting to get ontop of the bramble forest! Mainly just the roots to get out now. We've made a start and had a few whoppers! Am I right in thinking as long as we get the knobbly bits out we should be OK with a little vigilance and checking every so often? I'm aware we'll have to look out for ones "planted" by the birds in future

Name:	PicsArt_02-02-01.09.56.jpg
Size:	551.3 KB
ID:	2386192

Name:	PicsArt_02-02-01.11.39.jpg
Size:	629.4 KB
ID:	2386193

We even managed to get a couple of rows of garlic in too

Name:	PicsArt_02-02-01.13.33.jpg
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	2386194

Name:	PicsArt_02-02-01.14.32.jpg
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	2386195

Name:	PicsArt_02-02-01.30.21.jpg
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	2386196

Comment

Great that you're seeing some progress and already planting up PAP
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X