Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner Beans - Wind damage? Blight?

Hi everyone,

I hope I’m posting this in the correct forum, I just need some expert advice about damage to runner bean leaves (Polestar).

The lower parts of the plant are beginning to crinkle, while the upper areas are showing some variegation with lighter colouration - no pests can be seen and it’s producing flowers.

So far, the damage is limited to one cane which suggests it may not be wind damage - should I see how things pan out, remove problematic leaves or remove entire plant to stop it spreading?

(Is there an option to upload photos?)

Many thanks, Hal

Hi and welcome, Hal000. You can only post photos after posting a certain number of posts. So, stay with us, enjoy the advice and humour and you'll be able to show us pictures at some point.

Meanwhile, it sounds a bit like your bean plant might be suffering with chlorosis, a nutrient deficiency. Odd that it's just the one plant. Google for images to check to see if this is the problem.

Are you giving your beans any kind of feed?

Comment

Hi Snoop Puss,

Thank-you for your welcome and advice, I appreciate it. From looking on google I’m not too sure if it’s chlorosis - they do have a tomato feed fortnightly, but I can’t work out why only one cane’s affected.

I hope this doesn’t break forum rules, but here’s a link to my twitter page with a few photos:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hal_Gynn

Comment

I'm on my phone - I can see the photos but it's not that easy to see what's going on unless on a larger screen.
        Have you been watering? A good soak might help as one of the bottom leaves look crispy...this plant could just have a poor root system.
        But the mottling does look strange - have a g00gle for mosaic virus.
        Last edited by Scarlet; 14-07-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Hi Scarlet,

I agree with you...it does look strange. I don’t think it’s mosaic virus but I’m concerned it could be something that might spread to the healthy plants.

You could well be right tho over the root system - they’re watered every couple of days and seem to be thriving except for this one.

They’re due another feed this week, so maybe if I do that and cut the dodgy leaves off that might help. It’s very strange, I’ve never had a problem before now.

Comment

Hi Hal and welcome.
            I've looked at your photos and didn't feel alarmed about anything - but I'm pretty laid back about odd coloured leaves. My approach is to cut them off, especially if near the bottom of the plant (as the oldest die first) and give them a bit of TLC aka water!
            If the flowers look happy, then the plant will be.

Comment

Hi veggie chicken,

That’s a really good point about the flowers being okay. I’ll take off the affected leaves and greenfingers crossed that may turn it around.

Thanks for everyone’s help with this, it’s much appreciated🙂

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X