Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plot 10....Gilly's Midlife Crisis or a Fun Summer Project?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just caught up with this thread and well..
    Good luck with the project.
    I can actually feel your excitement from reading your posts.
    Will be watching this development.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Does Neil read your posts on here?
      If you see him wearing a crash helmet, you'll know that he does.

Comment

Naaah he's not a gardener Not in the slightest!

Well.....yesterday I went to see the plot with Bill and I am NOT taking it! Absolutely gutted as I was looking forward to having some extra space for more vegetables and a few chickens but once I got inside the sheds the walls were rotten, holes in the roof, glass everywhere and outside there were areas of ASBESTOS (!!!) sheeting and oil drums (not visible from where I'd stood outside to take photos) and oil/diesel spilled all over the place and soaked into the ground

I tried to look past these things but all I could think of was that I honestly didn't think I would feel comfortable eating stuff grown on this ground

I feel so flat today.....especially after popping up to my allotment this morning to find all my greenhouse seedlings and plants thrown everywhere I felt like just giving up this morning and went home and had a good cry but this afternoon (after talking to Neil who phoned me on his lunch break) I'm feeling a bit more positive. We're going to focus all our energy on fixing up Plot 34 and getting it the way we want it - Neil will pop up after work today to see how he can make it more secure - and spend this summer doing it. I can still grow a few odds and ends in the top area because it's the middle section we're working on and I think I'll bring a few large pots & containers home and grow things like salad stuff in our courtyard where it's easy to get to.
        If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Really sorry to read this Gillykat, I was looking forward to following your progress report.

On the bright side you'll be able to keep your eye on Neil more on plot 34 and keep cracking the whip to get it how you want it

Comment

Thats a shame, but if you are uncomfortable with the soil etc, then you have made the right decision. On the upside you found now rather than after doing loads of work.

Comment

Shame but better to not take on a plot if you think it's contaminated - ASBESTOS would definitely be a turnoff.

Does Neil know the reasons you've turned it down or are you going to be guilt tripping him later when a decent one comes up?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

If its a council owned plot and asbestos is confirmed - wouldn't it be their responsibility to remove it ?

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                  If its a council owned plot and asbestos is confirmed - wouldn't it be their responsibility to remove it ?
                  Oh yes, Bill said the council would remove but I just wouldn't feel comfortable KNOWING that it had been there. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid

On the plus side....I can get Plot 34 knocked into shape and perhaps THEN apply for a better second plot once I need more space. Bill is retiring in October so perhaps the next clerk will be more helpful and not need chasing every five minutes
                  If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                    Does Neil know the reasons you've turned it down or are you going to be guilt tripping him later when a decent one comes up?
                    Now would I do that?

He's going to be helping me rebuild a couple of things on the plot this summer and is actually looking forward to it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X