No announcement yet.

Planning a new allotment site by newbie

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, can I just put it into compost bin as it is? It will fill the bin and I dont have any other green stuff to put.

Comment

Maybe you could stack the bags somewhere and add it in layers in the compost bin, when you have more green stuff.
      Or spread some on the courgette beds and let it sit there until you're ready to plant.
      Most of the chicken "manure" here composts in their run as I give them green waste and shredded paper to dig around in - as well as the shavings and manure that comes from their coop. They keep turning it for me so I just remove it when it looks good enough to use as compost.
      If its fresher, I add it to the compost bins.

Comment

This doesnt look fresh at all, it smells earth.

Comment

More wood in there than I would prefer - I'd definitely try composting it down for about 6 months before using it.

Comment

Ok - put the chicken bed into compost bin.

This year I started my seeds a month early and first time growing potatoes.

I sow tomatoe, pepper, onion, leek, cucumber, courgette.

Comment

How many seed potatoes have you got? And are you hoping to get them all in one bed? Remember, first earlies need to be 30 cm apart and later ones further still, maybe 40 cm or so in rows that are 60 cm apart. Or are you chitting potatoes for friends too?

Comment

I will plant as many as I can and give away rest to my fellow allotmenteers

Comment

Good luck with the plot! If you're growing Sweetcorn you'll need to protect them from Badgers and I've seen birds eating my neighbours Corn. I cover with netting and build a robust fence, you could ask other plot holders if Badgers are a problem where you are.

Comment

The Badgers left our Sweetcorn alone last year, they must of got bored with eating it as they changed to Carrots and dug everyone they could find up and ate them leaving just the tops on the soil surface. Think if it happens this year everyone will be sharpening their pitchforks and using flaming torches to hunt the blighters down.
                    The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X