No announcement yet.

Planning a new allotment site by newbie

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most important word in your description is "neglected".

From your diagram it seems you have a roughly square 8 metre x 8 metre plot so approx 64 m2.

You need to concentrate on deweeding, scalping tuff and digging over compacted beds.

Create x3 12ft x 5ft beds pointing towards the sun at starting at the most south westerly corner of your plot.

Youve got till the end of March because then you wanna be sticking your x3 beds of potatoes. These are gonna help break up soil for you. First earlies, second earlies and mains (LAS = leave all season)

Soil too hard or sticky at moment unless you cover beds with tarp to dry out. Your gonna be busy the end of Feb / March.

Sharpened spade.

Probably x6 full days there... for starters.
    Last edited by no_akira; 19-01-2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Selymbria View Post
      Hi all,

- Are the things I planned compatible i.e. how would you have allocated the space to these veg?
      - What do you suggest I fill the beds with? I was advised to get mushroom compost.
      Cheers,
      Sel
      Hi Selymbria,
      Congrats and well done so far.

To add,

- I suspect you have already, but maybe look at where the sun is falling in both summer and winter and plan where to plant according to crops sun needs. Not sure what it's like in Kent, but it might matter if you're on the side of the hill etc in full shade.
      - You could mix crops in one bed following companion planting, for example corn, peas and beans work well all together. I know you're not planting any peas/beans but they actually add a lot back to the soil while they're growing and when they're gone too. You could chop the dead peas/beans down in autumn and leave them in there overwinter, although they don't work well with tomato and some things you're not planting.
      - As someone mentioned crop rotation about the potato, aubergines toms occupying nearly an entire half of a side needing to go on the opposite side beds if planting year after.
      - The courgettes and pumpkins in the same bed will fight each other for light, space and the same nutrients, even small fruited varieties. And like someone said, that's a whole lot of courgettes. I'd give each their own bed at least.

As for what to fill the beds, the gold standard is to fill them all with compost but IMHO it's a huge investment especially if you're new and up not taking to it. Unless it's high beds on posts you don't absolutely have to 'fill' them. It is also possible to plant in your existing soil, but your yield will depend on the soil. If it's sandy, sorry yr in trouble with your crop selection. If it clayey some coir can be bought in blocks and added to break the soil up, then plant in holes filled with compost. If it's dark and crumbly well good for you.

- I've bought a bulk construction bag of compost for about £100 about (900L) with this company
      https://www.compostdirect.com/black-gold/p2. There are cheaper companies.
      I'm a mad gardener and would happily spend that amount and more. And you'll need to buy more fill all those. If you have an allotment committee they organise bulk compost for cheaper.

-Strongly recommend start composting yourself and next autumn try leaf mulch.
      - Strongly recommend doing fertiliser teas to replenish your soil. Your chosen crops are heavy feeders.

Good luck.
      https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

Selymbria,

May I also offer some unsolicited advice, slightly related to what to plant where?
        - You're strawberry plants will last a few years so be happy you want to keep them there, can be dug up of course but it's a hassle.
        - You will (hopefully) be harvesting, but most everything you have is out by summer/early autumn. Would you like something in winter too? Parsnips, leeks etc need to be sown as early as spring, summer with some greens early autumn.
        -Everything planted will take a while to reap. Quick crops like greens, radishes, some turnips etc planted in between can comfort you as you stare at buds forming etc wondering when they'll be ready.
        -Consider a perennial bed. Crops like sunchokes/Jerusalem artichokes, asparagus, rhubarb, some kales etc can just regrow in spot year after year. For me French sorrel and globe artichokes have also worked. Why perennial? It's such easy growing once they're established.

Again good luck.
        https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

Welcome.

How about under planting your apple trees with strawberries . Just make sure initial years, the apple tree root ball is not covered. That might free up a bed for other things.

hooped frames could be used to give crop protection, but living in kent, I'd expect that not to be such an issue.

Best advice is to enjoy your plot and take your time. Don't sicken yourself trying too much too fast and feeling disappointed if some things don't work.

Comment

Just a quick comment - anything that you cover will need more watering than anything growing in the ground that gets rain water. Pots need the most water, and the most regular watering. Greenhouses and tunnels all need watering, even if growing in the ground, due to lack of rain water.

That doesn't stop me from having a greenhouse - I wouldn't grow tomatoes anywhere else! I'm aiming for bigger tubs/grow bags to help counter the up-to-twice daily waterings.
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest view of the allotment.

Comment

I decided to add parsnips, leeks, globe artichokes, and asparagus. I will probably devote one of the smaller beds to asparagus, is the white one I always had in Germany ok to be grown here in UK?

I need to redraw my plan. I am almost decided for a greenhouse so aubergines will go there saving some space.

Comment

Looking like a hive of activity Selymbria! Well done for cracking on with it!
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                    Looking like a hive of activity Selymbria! Well done for cracking on with it!
                    Thank you! It was difficult to dig the clay soil after a frosty night but I think frost this week will ensure they get crumbly, well thats at least what I was told

Comment

Latest plan as follows. I am getting some chicken manure / straw mix for spreading to the beds.
                      I decided for a GH instead of a shed as it is a very safe allotment and I wont have much to store in a shed anyway.

Comment

Hi Selymbria,
                        I think someone mentioned before courgettes are very prolific so you might be able to use some of that bed for something else unless you eat loads of them. I mixed mine up with squashes (butternut). Also what potatoes are you growing as if 1st earlies (new potatoes) you could then succession plant your leeks into that bed once you've harvested the spuds, giving you some more space.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback mcdood, we love courgettes as we mainly cook mediterranian food so most dishes are made with olive oil, leeks, aubergines, artichokes, and courgettes. The type I grow is pure white which I cant get in supermarkets.
                          I thought leeks can be planted out early. I didnt try this many varieties before so will look into your suggestion

Comment

Ok - slightly off topic. I have collected chicken bedding from a friend, which has bedding, poops, and feathers. There are about 12 of them in the 20litre sacks.
                            They dont smell chicken poop at all.

Can I use this as mulch now? Dig them in? Compost it before use?

What would you have done? I am thinking of using it as mulch and covering all the beds until April.

I can take a pic of it if that helps

Comment

Personally I'd compost it first, but using it as a mulch would I'm sure work well too. If you do decide to compost it, you may need to add a bit of water as from the sound of it what you have now will be dry.

PS if it is dry, try not to breathe in the dust from it as it wion't do your lungs any good.

Comment

I compost it.
                                This may help you https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=297

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X