Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
    Looks tidy Batman, so jelous of all you lottie holders
    When I first got it it was covered in couch grass, nettles and basically looked the same as the bed on the right and you couldn't see paths for weeds. I have had mum help me a LOT with it though

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Welcome to the vine boy wonder! Plot looks good. What veg are planning on growing alongside your fruit? Are you used to growing veg or is this a new venture?
    Potatoes are a definite, as are onions (and garlic if its not too late to get the sets). Beetroot is another must, and runner beans and peas.

My only experience with growing things is potatoes in grow bags, tomatoes and cucumbers shoved outdoors (We don't have a greenhouse at home) and runner beans... so I have some knowledge... but new venture in all.

I'm also planning on Sparrowgrass as it gets called in our household (Asparagus), and generally putting some things in just to 'try' them out and see what does and doesn't uh...grow xD.

I've already found two amazing books I don't know what I'd do without for a bit of guidance. One is How to grow fruit and veg that I picked up from works for £3, the other was "A three year allotment journal" ... that I mainly brought as it had space to plan things in etc, and three years to make notes (that's THREE Years to experiment in right!)

Comment

Welcome to the vine, BoyWonder I don't think anyone bites here - much - ha ha. Sounds like you're doing just great already and looking forward to hearing more as your lotty progresses.
      LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

Hello and welcome
        Carrie

Comment

Hi there. Welcome to the Vine. Just had a look at your pictures. Looks a nice little plot you've got there
          sigpic

Comment

Hello BW - welcome to the Vine.

You have joined us at a brilliant time as we all start to plot and plan for next year and get excited about a visit to the virtual pub which allows us to all 'meet' in the Gardeners Rest.
            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Welcome to the vine boy wonder.
              I see you've met all the resident lunatics :
              You're safe with me, I'm normal

The garden's looking good

Comment

Yeh, she's a normal lunatic Robin......................
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Not to late for garlic! Get some in those newly weeded beds! A little late for elephant garlic but that's also worth a shot especially as we are having a warm spell at the moment. Broadbeans may be worth a shot too?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Not to late for garlic! Get some in those newly weeded beds! A little late for elephant garlic but that's also worth a shot especially as we are having a warm spell at the moment. Broadbeans may be worth a shot too?
                    No one in the family likes broadbeans so we're scratching them (Also trying to avoid blackfly invasions - planning on growing nasturtiums to try and keep aphids and blackfly on them!)

Comment

Welcome to the vine, enjoy the benefits of the advice and humour

Comment

Helcome and enjoy
                        I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Hi and welcome; looks like you have progress made already

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          Hi Robin & welcome to the Jungle, sidestep any nutters you may come across................
                          There are that many nutters that I just trod on them now
                          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BoyWonder26 View Post
                            No one in the family likes broadbeans so we're scratching them (Also trying to avoid blackfly invasions - planning on growing nasturtiums to try and keep aphids and blackfly on them!)
                            Hmm, I thought I didn't like broad beans after eating broad bean soup (yuk!) in Spain and throwing up as a result. But home grown are different. Though mine always get attacked by aphids.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyWonder26 View Post
                              (Also trying to avoid blackfly invasions - planning on growing nasturtiums to try and keep aphids and blackfly on them!)
                              Hello Boywonder your plot looks great. Good luck with it all! Companion planting & using trap crops is the best bug defence I find. This year my nasturtium were about 2 meters away from my runner beans,left & right sides & they work incredibly well as magnets for aphids,usually I have loads high up on the bean poles but they weren't interested in them. French marigolds are beneficial everywhere too,slugs nibble on those instead of your crops.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the wonderful Vine.

Broadbean and chorizo risotto might convert you
                                Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X