A Glossary of Vine Abbreviations and Phrases

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy (H) - Will survive cold.
    Tender (T) - A plant that is a wuss when it comes to cold and the abbreviation can often be found used on seed packs of perennial seeds (HP) but is usually left off on annuals.
    Perennial (P) - A plant that grows year after year and the abbreviation is often used on plant descriptions/ seed packets
    Annual (A) - A plant that grows, flowers and dies all in the same year and the abbreviation is often used on plant descriptions/ seed packets
    Bi-annual / Biennial (B) - A plant that grows the first year then flowers and dies in the second year and the abbreviation is often used on plant descriptions/ seed packets. Sometimes used to described short lived perennials.
    Hotbed - A grow area made on top of decomposing material which gives off heat. Used for extending the season or more heat loving plants
    Hydroponics - A method of growing plants without soil
    Aquaponics - Sometimes used in conjunction with hydroponics to form a growing system.
    Grow lights - Lights used to grow plants when there are low levels of natural light i.e chilli plants in winter.
    Propagator - A closed system in which to start seeds and cuttings. Heated propagators are often preferred by gardeners

It might be worth changing the link on the VSP bit

Comment

Confused - Lumpy!
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
        Bi-annual / Biennial (B) - A plant that grows the first year then flowers and dies in the second year and the abbreviation is often used on plant descriptions/ seed packets. Sometimes used to described short lived perennials.
        If I might be picky - you're most likely to be looking at 'biennial plants' - just as NG described. Bi-annual would be flowers twice a year. Like effing dandelions - no, not true, dandelions should be known as poly-annuals, I think.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X