No announcement yet.

Complete noob waving like a loony!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potty likes to be stalked by young ladies - but don't let him know I said that
    I'd bin any cat poop contaminated soil - bung it in your binbag. Not worth the risk.
    Get yourself a compost bin and add Roxy's poo and bedding to it. Once its rotted down you can use it for your plants.

Comment

Ill not be shy about it then ;-)

U can put veg waste etc in compost bins aswell right?
      Doesn't it get smelly????

How much does a cheapy one set u back, I'm on a bit of a budget :-(
      No good with budgets lol
      newbie! Be gentle with me while I learn the basics of growing stuff
      Kirstie x

Comment

You don't need a manufactured compost bin. Use an old dustbin or swing bin. Don't know if you can compost in black bags, I know leafmold can be made in black bags but take around a year to break down. It shouldn't get smelly if the right mix of greens (veg waste etc) & browns (cardboard, paper). Have you had a look at your local council site for a compost bin, they are usually between £5 - £10.
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 23-02-2014, 10:07 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

Pull up a chair...
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

My geography's not too good but if you're in Brighton they have compost bins for £5 Composters for food and garden waste | Brighton & Hove City Council

Comment

If you have got the bug, it may pay to get your name down here:

Allotments | Peacehaven Council
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I reckon nearly everyone here will encourage you to compost everything from the bunny's "stuff" to veggie peeling, newspaper, cardboard and everything else (no meat), but personally I don't. I don't want the smell, the space being taken up, the vermin it attracts, or the eyesore in a small place. All my compostables go in the appropriate bin to be composted by someone else, and I go and buy the compost I need. Just my choice, but thought you ought to know that it's a valid one

Just a general tip, figure out which way your balcony points and which bits of it get sun at what time of day. If part of it is in shadow at the hottest part of the day stick the leafy stuff (kale, lettuces, brocolli etc) in there, and give any fruits the best sun including courgettes. Roots will pretty much be happy anywhere else.

I grew "normal" stuff last year, but I'm trying different stuff this year. One of the reasons for this, is it's hard to grow the traditional veggies in pots as cheap as it is to buy them from the supermarket once you've factored in compost (assuming you don't want a crate full of rotting rabbit poo and veggies on your balcony). This year I'm trying to grow stuff you can't readily buy, or that isn't as cheap such as soft fruits and "exotic" crops. That said, I would suggest going for the crops you listed this year and learn from them. Some of them you might decide aren't worth the time and effort, but others are. Any crops you ditch just give you scope for trying something new next year

Comment

Thanks bigmally, my shop is below the flat and i work really long hours so making use of the balcony is literally the only way I'm going to be able to do stuff, plus it's a massive space. One of the main reasons I chose this new shop over a couple of others I was looking at.

Interesting re the compost actually smelling coz my teeny teeny (just now) bit of web search says it shouldn't smell... But if it does then I don't want it lol.

Balcony is south facing, and no obstructions what with being on top of a shopping centre.

Was looking at getting this Complete Patio Orchard Collection - Fruit Trees - Trees | Lead The Good Life but went to buy today and now out of stock :-(
                  Really hope my mother went and ordered some after I showed her and dropped hints for housewarming present last week lol
                  Kirstie x

Comment

Get your fruit trees from £Strecher if you have one nearby, good quality trees at 6 squid each.

Comment

oooh will have a look at where the nearest pound stretcher is then.
                      had heart set on these as both ppl i know have them said they got some fruit first year and literally the only thing u need extra is soil because the pots are big enough to give u a good tree but contain it enough to be ok for the balcony.

i'm so impatient i wanted at least one thing i knew i would have stuff this year from without being able to make 2 many mistakes lol
                      Kirstie x

Comment

Kirstie, welcome from another newbie here (to the forum not to growing stuff).

Home composting should not be smelly and as you are on a balcony you are unlikely to attract vermin. As you are based near the sea you may get some attention from gulls but providing you use a bin with a lid you should be ok.

Comment

Don't worry about making mistakes!
                          I'm trying to grow rosemary cuttings for the first time using a different method to my typical 'cut n kill' approach!

we're all learning on here- all the time!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Kirstie, another noob here. Like you I'm growing on hardstanding. I've got a garden but it's covered with tarmac so I grow in raised beds and pots.

You've got a good space there, does it get much sun?

Btw, I just got 2 free 220l compost bins from the council. Different councils have different policies but it's worth phoning yours up to ask.

Good luck with it all, you'll be stuffing your face with strawbs in no time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X