No announcement yet.

Hello!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning and welcome, my paths are type 1 (2???) doesnt stop the weeds though

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Mistymorings
      My paths are made of quarry tiles that were originally in our house, I'm only growing small scale in the back garden though.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Vine from me too

I have raised beds, and like Newton's neighbour, I have grass paths, and not enough time ...I could probably cut them for hay if it wasn't so wet

Comment

Hello everyone and thanks for the ideas. having read all I can and spent some time ( quite a lot actually!) on the allotment I have decided not to rush and put down anything permanent. This will give me time to look around our field and see what works best here. I am still trying to clear horsetail, poppies, dock leaves but I have cleared 2 beds, a triumph!

Comment

Hi Misty,

Welcome. I know how you feel, my advice is don't to it all at once, it will kill you. I managed to get out and clear some weeds a bit of a time . Grass paths are nice, but my grandmother had one and after a while with constant walking and wet weather it turned very muddy, so she decided to get some planks and put them along the side and fill the path with bark chippings. Not that hard to do.

Comment

Hello and welcome, Misty.
              My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
              Revelation 22:2

Comment

Hi mistymornings, i have had my allotment since may this year & am loving it even though i have so much bindweed to get rid of! your allotment manager is right, i wouldn't advise grass for paths either! ours are all grass paths & i have finally had to give in & buy a strimmer! i have managed a good crop of runner beans & courgettes this year & some rasps that wr already in, but just trying to keep on top of the grass that keeps growing & growing is a nightmare! Anyway, despite this i do love my allotment patch & wouldn't swop it for the world! happy gardening with yours

Comment

A belated welcome to the vine MM.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hey misty.....how are you getting on with the paths?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hi and welcome to

I use weed membrane and bark/tree chippings. If you have a local tree surgeon type place or contact your local council office you can get these chippings for almost free or just a small donation

I think it looks nicer than concrete slabs and it's easy to kill off any weeds that battle their way through the edges:

I much prefer the rustic look.

Good luck
                      Chris
                      Attached Files
                      My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

bark chippings with membrane on my lottie, but I got the bark chips free, so that was a no brainer. Freecycle will always come up trumps for slabs if you are patient and bide your time. Everything comes to he who waits

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X