Hello!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hello, just to say that and to add that I have just been allocated my allotment - weed and slug ridden but lovely!

I need advice about paths as I don't yet have any and would like a central one with small ones between the beds. My allotment manager has advised against grass, any thoughts will be gratefully received.

Hello mistymornings and welcome to the Vine. How lucky you are to have an allotment
    I'm sure someone will be along soon to chat about paths!

Comment

hiya and welcome
      bark? stone?

Comment

Hello mistymornings, welcome to the vine I guess the cheapest way would be to put a weed proof membrane down and the put bark chippings down on top. At one of my plot I was lucky enough to get hold of some slabs cheaply.
        Chris

My Allotment Journal @
        Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
        -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

What have they got against grass!!!? You can use the mowings as mulch, or add it to your compost. It looks good, and is nice to walk on, barefoot, in the summer. Mind you, if you have a slug/snail problem, I'd go for grit and/or stones, that way, any slimeys that you evict, won't be too keen to come back.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Congrats on the lottie and welcome to the Vine.

If you are thinking of slabs, try Freecycle. Peeps are often trying to get rid of them.
            Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
            Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I think for the first year I will do something temporary while we plan. No need to rush!

Comment

Our allotment is 3 months old today and we have freecycled slabs for our paths. I don't want a blade of grass on it - don't want the hassle. The only time I have used bark chips was on a relative's garden and the amount of slugs/eggs in it defeated the object of buying the bark in the first place. You can also get weed suppressing membrane which allows rainwater through. Some people on our site use this for paths. Good luck with your allotment and enjoy - it will be worth all the hard work.
                A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                  Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

What have they got against grass!!!? You can use the mowings as mulch, or add it to your compost. It looks good, and is nice to walk on, barefoot, in the summer. Mind you, if you have a slug/snail problem, I'd go for grit and/or stones, that way, any slimeys that you evict, won't be too keen to come back.
                  I don't think they have anything against it I think they were trying to save me work! I have a manager who has taken me under his wing! I thought grass would be lovely but the slugs are HUGE!!!!!!!

Comment

Welcome to the vine Mistymornings - how lovely to have a new allotment. The huge slugs are not the problem, they don't eat your crops - it is the little tiny grey ones that do all the damage.

I would go the membrane and chipped bark if I were you - especially if you can get some delivered cheaply or free from a tree surgeon. (Not an option for us in the metropolis - they sell it round here and it is quite expensive too!) Then you can work out what layout works best for you without permanent paths being put down.

My central path is slabs, recycled from my garden, with membrane and bark on the paths leading off.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Welcome to the lovelyvine!! Its fun on here and lots to learn from others . I would go with slabs if I were you... wish I had done, as I used stones and forever pulling weeds.

Happy lotmenting!
                      passionate about plants

http://escapetotheallotment.blogspot.co.uk/ Check out my new blog...

There is no greater satisfaction than is gained from a plate of your own home grown !

Comment

This does, indeed, seem like a lovely forum. What great advice about almost everything, I am so glad I found it

Comment

Hello and welcome, Mistymorings!

All the paths in our garden (bar one) are made from weed supressing membrane covered with gravel dug out of the garden! Don't suppose your lottie thinks its a gravel pit, like my garden though! Good luck with it and enjoy.
                          If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

My neighbour has grass and not enough time! That is a problem! I had the same problem year 1. I now have raised beds and bark chippings......well worth it for me. Neighbour to follow suit I think........

But........beautifully tended grass paths look the absolute business.........

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X