How to's + Hints & Tips on how to use the Vine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
    A 'permalink' is a permanent link to a specific post, rather than a link to the whole thread. You find the permanent-link on each post where the post number is on the top right hand corner of each post. If you right click on the number, you should get an option to copy the link. Then if you paste that link somewhere else, it will take anyone who clicks it straight to that specific post
    OK thanks, I get that but why would you PM it to yourself?
    Last edited by Alison; 23-06-2012, 09:09 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Uploading images from your computer

To upload an image from your computer to your post...

Click 'Go Advanced' then click on the paper-clip (Add Attachments).

Next, click on 'Add Files'.

Next, click on 'Select Files'.

At this point it is assumed that you know where your photographs are stored on your computer. Locate your chosen photograph (probably in the 'My Pictures' folder) and quickly click the left mouse button twice on the image file.

The 'Attachments' window will change to the following, just click 'Upload Files'.

Finally, click on 'Insert Inline' to add the image to your post, then click on 'Done'.
      Alternatively, just click on 'Done' and the image will be stored for later use but not added to your post.

Attached Files
      Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Degree symbol & more

The weather is regular topic here on The Vine and quotes such as "It was 36 degrees in the greenhouse today" are often seen, though in just as many cases we see "It only reached 10 degrees outside today!"

Anyway, it looks much tidier when the degree symbol is used instead of the word 'degrees', like this... "It reached 36° in the greenhouse today".

To use the degree symbol...hold down the Alt key while typing 0176

Other useful symbols...

¼ - Alt + 0188
        ½ - Alt + 0189
        ¾ - Alt + 0190
        ñ - Alt + 164 (example - Jalapeño)

There are many more but the above are the ones I considered to be the most useful for this forum.
        Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

The control + and control - to zoom into photos

This info was given on another post to use control + and control - to enhance photos. I have found these can also be used to increase/decrease text on emails and other web pages. Have found this very useful and thought others might also. (I'm partially sighted and often have to increase text size so thanks to whoever originally posted this).
          A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

The delete button in the edit function is a little confusing as it only deletes the text in the post,not the post itself,to do that you need a few more mouse clicks.

To completely delete a post from the forums ....
            In the relevant post .................................... Click Edit
            In the edit post window ............................... Click Advanced
            In the advanced edit window,top section ....... Click the "tickbox" (permantly delete this post(top left corner),then in botttom right corner (same section) .. Click Delete Post

And there it is gone
            Last edited by bearded bloke; 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM. Reason: Added first paragraph
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Settings changed

Hi - is this the right place. Since I changed my email - all my settings have changed. When I press the What's new ? button i now only get what has been updated since I last logged on - I used to get all the posts I hadn't read.

My default is set to all posts - is it me or has something changed on the forum?

Thanks
              Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly
                Please feel free to edit any illegible links cos I don't know how to do it...........
                Tags bud what's needed here are modified url & /url ones

the tags & tagged content need to be contained in square brackets [??????]

First untitled hyperlink is ...... https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=wGICPpr2pXA
                Artist & title are ....... Dave Dee,Dozy,Beaky,Mick & Titch - Legend Of Xanadu

first copy & paste the url (so you can see how this works I am leaving the r out from the tags ............

[ul]https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=wGICPpr2pXA[/ul] .. remove first url closed bracket & replace with = then put closed bracket at the end of the url ..................

[ul=https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=wGICPpr2pXA][/ul]

Now add the artist & title between the two closed brackets ??????]*****[/ul]

[ul=https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=wGICPpr2pXA]Dave Dee,Dozy,Beaky,Mick & Titch - Legend Of Xanadu
                [/ul]

Now the same as above but with the r put back into the tag brackets,gives us ......

Dave Dee,Dozy,Beaky,Mick & Titch - Legend Of Xanadu

Comment

Further to the above,if you paste the url & then click the Go Advanced button you will get a preview box where you will see if the url is pre coded for you
                  Using one of VC's posts as an example .........

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  You can remove the now visible .... -YouTube ... from the line to tidy things up if you want with no detrimental effects ..........

crystals da doo ron ron

Comment

And the "smart alex of the week award" goes to ^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
                      And the "smart alex of the week award" goes to ^^^^^^^
                      Well it would if I understood a word of the post - I've always just copied and pasted and that's seemed to work OK

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

How do I remove unwanted pics from the file manager?

Answers in child English please.

Potty
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          How do I remove unwanted pics from the file manager?

Answers in child English please.

Potty
                          Can't you just delete them? Either go into the File menu or right click and it should give you the delete option unless I have totally misunderstood what you are asking

Comment

Thanks for the reply but if I right click on a pic I don't get the delete option. I will try the file menu see what I can find.

Potty
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Fairly sure you cannot delete them,any that have been uploaded & not used in a post should be auto-deleted by forum coding,but those that have been posted cannot be deleted by members as it would break the link in the post

Comment

Ah, didn't read it as on this forum, though he meant on his 'puter - but then again I often get the wrong end of the stick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X