Potatoe planting, when is ideal?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoe planting, when is ideal?

I need some help with growing potatoes please. I am a new gardener & quite frankly, havent really got a clue!!
    I have today purchase a HUGE bag of compost, a bag of Maris Piper Seed Potatoes and a container to grow them in. The container 64L is 2ft wide & 2ft high & holds 64L. I am desperate to get going, but quite honestly, I havent a clue where to start! Is now too early to start planting outdoors with the snow on the ground? Would it be ok if they were covered? Can I plant them now & keep them in the garage until the snow has gone? The seeds are beginning to sprout, does this mean they are ready or do I need to wait until they have sprouted more?? How long will they take until I am ready to harvest them? and how will I know which are ready & which are not ready....
    As you can see, I need help from start to finish!!
    Be gentle, Im a new gardener & dont know all the terminoligy and jargon that you see in the books!
    Any elp would be hugely appreciated!!

Jo
    Last edited by josoaps; 04-02-2009, 05:52 PM. Reason: Potato spelled wrong!!

Check out this thread
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post363551
    Should help some.
    I am planning on planting mine out in March
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Keep the seed spuds in a cool, light place for now otherwise the shoots will get too long. Plant out in March. They will be ready to harvest when the tops die down in September.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Thank for your advice! Cant believe I have to wait another month!! Im having a strop now!!

Comment

Get yourself a copy of a good book: Dr Hessayon's Vegetable Expert is terrific.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you plant out too soon the frost will get the tops. We get frost here until June!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              If you plant out too soon the frost will get the tops. We get frost here until June!
              really flummery? wow frost in june, i can normally predict that our frost is over by may but this year who is guessing, all my ground for spuds has been covered up since October so hopefully the ground will be warm,

first earlies going in Mid March, second earlies going in 2nd week in april.
              Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

hi ya josoaps
                maris pipers are a main crop potatoe should be planted beginning april be ready for eating in about 16 weeks. if you get epicure, swift, rocket, they first earlies you can plant them beginning march

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X