Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi there! I am new here and from Germany.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Iris, and a warm welcome. It's so interesting to learn how other people manage their gardens, what do you grow besides tomatoes?
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
      Hi, Iris, and a warm welcome. It's so interesting to learn how other people manage their gardens, what do you grow besides tomatoes?
      Hi!

Thanks for your kind welcome.

Well, I am a sucker for garlic. I grow them in raised beds. When it is getting too rainy here, they do not get wet feet. They are my pride and joy! Hahaha! 4 sorts of them. Germidour, Messidrome, Casablanca and Lyubasha. The latter one I planted the first time this automn.

Oh, and I tried a lot of other vegetables. But the harvest always has been pathetic for some reason or other. Too dry most of the time, and then the soil was hard as stone. And when it rained or I watered, the water did not go into the deeper soil.

The cucumbers and onions were good this year and also many. Beetroot too, though I do not want to eat it so often. I wished I could grow salads too, but I do not have the space in my greenhouse and outside the snails would already get in gear to destroy them.

So I concentrate on tomatoes, garlic, a few potatoes, oinions and cucumbers. Everything else I may try again but I am not anymore in an enthusiastic mood. The failures over the last years got on me.

What do you grow in your garden?

Last edited by Iris_Germany; 09-11-2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iris_Germany View Post

Hi, thank you for welcome! Your English is not that good either? What does this mean? You speak only Gallic over there?:
        Not Gallic but broad Scots, I am not sure if any of the Stanley Baxter shows are on YouTube if it is watch it and listen to the parlyamoglasgow and you might understand the way we speak here as for the seasons it's generally 2 rather than 4 seasons which are cold and wet or colder and wetter, also I have been growing tomatoes for several years and never had blight, as I said rarely grow outside but the greenhouse has auto vents and I usually have a fan running, also I never get the leaves wet
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Speak for yourself Spec! You Ayrshire folk talk a different lingo from us up here in the Central belt!

Welcome Iris, your English is so much better than my German. I’ve only been to Germany once, to Ingolstadt in Bavaria and we loved it. Especially the beer! Hope you enjoy the Vine!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
            Not Gallic but broad Scots, I am not sure if any of the Stanley Baxter shows are on YouTube if it is watch it and listen to the parlyamoglasgow and you might understand the way we speak here as for the seasons it's generally 2 rather than 4 seasons which are cold and wet or colder and wetter, also I have been growing tomatoes for several years and never had blight, as I said rarely grow outside but the greenhouse has auto vents and I usually have a fan running, also I never get the leaves wet
            Oh, I am not able to understand any broad Scots, that's for sure! Does someone know the audiobook of "Garnet Hill" from Denise Mina? I was shocked because I could not believe my ears that that was even a language! But I got threw and liked it even somehow. And I got the 2nd and 3rd of the books too.

My greenhouse I have for 9 years, it came with the garden. This was the first season the blight got in and ruined everything. Allover victims dead or dying. A massacre.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
              Speak for yourself Spec! You Ayrshire folk talk a different lingo from us up here in the Central belt!

Welcome Iris, your English is so much better than my German. I’ve only been to Germany once, to Ingolstadt in Bavaria and we loved it. Especially the beer! Hope you enjoy the Vine!
              Hi, thanks for your welcome.

Good beer we have all over here in Germany. Thanks God.
              That's one thing we do not let yet produce in China!
              Last edited by Iris_Germany; 09-11-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

...So I concentrate on tomatoes, garlic, a few potatoes, oinions and cucumbers. Everything else I may try again but I am not anymore in an enthusiastic mood. The failures over the last years got on me.

What do you grow in your garden?
                My garden is very small and north facing, so I mostly grow climbing beans, raspberries, and kale, with a few early potatoes.

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Out of interest, Iris, have you seen this thread? We need help keeping Rary under control. Drop in and join in the chitchat if you fancy it.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...read-23/page27

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                    Iris as Jay has pointed out some parts of Scotland would appear to have a different language from others, perhaps to understand the language better you should read poems by Robert Burns which gives you a good insight to the proper language, as for that comment of Snoop's, I really don't understand what she means, evedently with her staying in Spain her grasp of the English language is slipping
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Welcome.
                      I grow tomatoes, potatoes, onions, and garlic. Also, n the greenhouse tomatoes, aubergines, cucumbers and melons.

Located in Cornwall, which we like to think of as separate from England (it isn't of course, but we can dream) . We are at the extreme southwest tip with a very mild, damp and windy climate.

I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                      ∃

Comment

I am sorry, I do not know what open pollinated is ...
                        Do you mean that it is no F1 hybride?
                        There we have already the language problems ... Sorry ...
                        Spot on Iris see you know more than you think the open pollenated means you can save the seed and it should turn out like its parents ... sorry for slipping in to jargon I assume (perhaps wrongly) that its the same all over the world . so no language problems at all.

It will be interesting to see what sort of things you grow compared to here.
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

Spot on Iris see you know more than you think the open pollenated means you can save the seed and it should turn out like its parents ... sorry for slipping in to jargon I assume (perhaps wrongly) that its the same all over the world . so no language problems at all.

It will be interesting to see what sort of things you grow compared to here.
                          Hi, don't worry, Nick, I have to improve my gardeners english vocabulary. Every experience and new expression helps!

In German, we say to the "open pollinated": "samenfest", dully translated it means "seed-non-varying". The word "pollen" exists too but it is not used in this context.

You are all so friendly here, it's a pleasure to chat about our garden passion :-))

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post

Iris as Jay has pointed out some parts of Scotland would appear to have a different language from others, perhaps to understand the language better you should read poems by Robert Burns which gives you a good insight to the proper language, as for that comment of Snoop's, I really don't understand what she means, evedently with her staying in Spain her grasp of the English language is slipping
                            I have heard of Burns! Though I haven't red a single poet of him. You know, I like english literature/writers a lot. Burns I know from books I read during the Napoleon wars. Horatio Hornblower or Richard Sharpe for example. Burns is always mentioned in these books in some way or another. And his poems are in Scottish? Then better not read them, I would not understand a word, I fear!

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                              Welcome.
                              I grow tomatoes, potatoes, onions, and garlic. Also, n the greenhouse tomatoes, aubergines, cucumbers and melons.

Located in Cornwall, which we like to think of as separate from England (it isn't of course, but we can dream) . We are at the extreme southwest tip with a very mild, damp and windy climate.
                              Thanks a lot for your welcome! What are your sorts of garlic? Some of mine are doing very well and have sprouted already 4 inches approx. and two of them did not come out at all. Either they got eaten by some critter or they are more slow than the other 2 sorts.
                              Last edited by Iris_Germany; 10-11-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

My garden is very small and north facing, so I mostly grow climbing beans, raspberries, and kale, with a few early potatoes.
                                That's unfortunate. 2/3 of my garden is always in the shade, and I am getting frustrated because I do not know what to do with it. I tried already different kind of shrubs and perennials but nothing works really. Vegetables I did not even dare to grow there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X