Induction Hobs - pros and cons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Induction Hobs - pros and cons

There's probably a thread on this already but I've pretty much given up with the search function now as I can't get anything meaningful out of it. Sorry about that

Anyway, looking at putting a new kitchen in and as part of that will be buying a new oven. Currently have a very old fully gas one but will be looking at getting an electric oven in the future. Was going for a gas hob but have also been looking at induction. Never used one but wondered if any of you guys have one? I know it will restrict my pan options and I have a couple that won't work so has anybody any experience with the adaptor plates as the reviews I have read on line look rather contradictory. Am probably going to stick with gas hob as I know what I'm getting but do like the idea of something easier to clean.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

I don't have one myself, but my uncle does. Once he resolved the pan issue, he was/is very happy with it. They really do heat up very quickly, much faster than the ceramic type hob. Still not as instant as gas, but a lot better. It is a much more even heat than gas as well. Can't help you with the adapter plates though, as I've never seen one in action.
    If I had the option, I'd have an induction hob though, for the energy saving aspect. I wouldn't go back to gas after having a ceramic hob, for the even heat distribution and the flat surface which I find better for stability as well as cleaning.

Comment

I'm interested in the answers too, because my ceramic hob has to go. If you look to the right of my video there are links to induction hob vids
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We had one in a previous place.. my only issue was it didn't show when it was hot (new ones have a 'H' or similar symbol appear to indicate which one is hot). So I'd either lean on it, or wipe over with a dishcloth and burn it.

I much prefer gas, but the glass plate is a lot easier to keep clean. I find though, tweaking the amount of gas a much better / easier process.. Waiting for it to cool down by one setting, then realising it's too cool is a bit annoying.

That said, I'm sure in the future most hobs will have them as gas isn't going to be around /forever/.

We're getting a new kitchen soon.. I'm going to have to move the gas pipe, but for me that expense is going to be worth it because I prefer gas hobs.

Gas hobs/leccy oven is a great combo imo.. I found with a double gas oven (range) the secondary oven was never up to temperature unlike the main one. I find that electric/fan assisted ones cook more evenly throughout the oven. I still can't decide if this is a good or bad thing mind - OT there, but that's me

Comment

We had an induction hob here when we bought the house. It was a bit exciting using it the first time with no instructions and the wrong saucepans but now, I wouldn't be without it, I love it!
          The thing for me is, as everyone has said, it is quick but also, if you spill anything on it, it doesn't burn. The plate gets hot but only where the pan is. I have often boiled something over, taken the pan off, wiped the hob down all without waiting for anything to cool. Whilst it is quite hot, it doesn't seem to burn anything on and the heat isn't enough to get through the cloth and burn me. If anything does boil over whilst you're not there and liquid runs over the controls mine just switches off - which is a very useful with my cooking
          I use the adaptor plate (bought here for about 20 euros) but only on one saucepan that I occasionally use and it works very well for me but I think most saucepans these days are induction ready.
          If I ever move from here an induction hob would be the first thing on my shopping list

I'll stop now because I'm beginning to sound a bit like an evangelist but I really do love mine.
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

When my wifes late fathers flat gets sold we are going to get solar panels and get a full new kitchen including all the very best efficient appliances, and intend to get an induction hob as they are very energy efficient. As I do all my cooking in the daytime, i should get the power from my roof for free.
            I have used gas for years, but know that the rob dogs at the power companies are never going to make it cheap every again... (rant rant rant)
            Roger
            Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks for reminding me that I have an induction hob!. Its a Stellar portable hob which I bought to tide me over during a complete kitchen refit. It was about £70 and can be used on any socket, anywhere in the house. Very versatile However, I hardly used it, preferring to get microwavable meals while the house was in chaos. Once the new stove arrived, (all electric, ceramic hob) I put the induction hob in the cupboard and forgot it. If you're undecided, why not look for a cheap portable one and try it first. Lakeland also sell them and probably IKEA too. From an energy efficient point of view I would have bought an induction hob but they were so much more expensive.

Comment

There was one here when we moved in. I couldn't wait to get rid of it! The energy efficient aspect is great of course but only about half my pans worked on it and (with the model I had) even an accidental swish of pinny turned it up/down, on/off. Electric oven and gas hob for me!
                I was feeling part of the scenery
                I walked right out of the machinery
                My heart going boom boom boom
                "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                I've come to take you home."

Comment

From what I can see the pros are energy saving (particularly as we've just installed solar) and easy to clean. Cons are having to throw away my favourite pans, my beloved jam pan won't work, neither will my wok or cook pot corning ware. Not checked my normal pans with a magnet but think they'll be OK. Also, the fact that it'll cost more in the first place. At the moment dual fuel is winning but will do some more investigation, thanks for the comments so far.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hi
                    I sell these and all the plus points above are correct, however things you need to watch are don't do the ' Ainsley Harriott' salt throw into your pots. If it gets under the pot it will scratch the glass, so to will sugar. And unless you want to bump them off don't let anybody with a pacemaker near it - something to do with the magnetic field sending it daft!

Other than that, brilliant bits of kit. Check out the new Siemens and Neff models with the flex zones!
                    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X