Fave spuds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fave spuds?

Well, I find myself a bit behind in the spuds stakes this year, not sure what varieties to get, so, I thought I'd ask the biggest and best source of gardening knowledge out there, and pick all your brains!

Im looking for First Early, 2nd Early, Early Maincrop and a Late Maincrop (tho would consider 2 Early maincrops if it meant we missed getting blight! Looking for decent taste and reasonable yields, so whats your recommendations?

Whats your fave spuds, what are you growing this year, and why?
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Winston are a lovely shaped spud if you like baked potatoes. I grew them a few years ago and they were nice picked smallish and boiled and when left they made a good size. I think I will go and try to get some of these again this year.

I am just starting to plan my growing for this year since our move got delayed so am like you and just choosing what to grow now.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

This will be my second season of growing, but Charlotte for ne were out of this world. Albeit a salad crop.

Rooster is also makin a return. I've heard good things about pink fir, so I'm also goon for that and anya.

Comment

I really like wiljas, they grow particularly well round here. They're 2nd earlies but can be left in and used as maincrop and actually they are better this way, they tend to hold together better when cooked if they are left in longer. They are fab all rounders and make the best roasters ever!
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I like Colleen as a first early (I think it is) - lovely flavour and mash well - I buy them if I see them in the gc, so haven't got any this year (got taters from wilcos this year).
          (And when I discovered that I didn't have enough, a very lovely grape, who remains nameless, sent me some more in the post and I was sooo chufffed!)
          Last edited by Jeanied; 23-01-2011, 01:14 PM.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

We grow:

First: Arran Pilot - start harvesting at 9 weeks (grow some in bags for early crop)
            Second: Charlotte – we particularly like the flavour of them
            Salad (main) - Pink Fir Apple – we start harvesting at 17 weeks
            Main - King Edward

I have seen polls on other forums etc. that have rated these highly:

First early: Lady Christl, Pentland Javelin, Red Duke of York, Rocket, Arran Pilot
            Second early: Charlotte, Kestrel, Maris Peer
            Main: Desiree, King Edward, Cara, Maris Piper, Pink Fir Apple, Picasso

I would like to find a good variety for Baking, if anyone has suggestions?
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

This year I have first earlies - Arran Pilot. some will go in tuns in the greenhouse next month.
              Maincrop - Maris Piper. Both old fashioned varieties with old fashioned flavours.
              Also my home-bred purple spud, Amethyst, which we eat as a second early.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

First earlies: Homeguard (so tasty)
                2nd earlies: Charlotte (every year so versatile)
                Main: King Edwards (all rounder)

Still eating last year's crops (mashed King Edwards tonight).

Have tried pink firs and anyas in past, been OK, Rocket disappointed.

Also going to try 5 Roosters we got for a quid from Morrisons yesterday.

For the last year or two and this year we shall only be growing in 55cm pots not the ground, saves digging at harvest but does use quite a lot of compost. This year will see about 30 pots on the go.
                The cats' valet.

Comment

Deffo charlotte - good success every year and no blight
                  Also liked Anya (bit like pink fir not so nobbly)tasty but yield was a bit disappointing

Didnt do spuds last year as they take up a lot of space on my little plot, but I missed them terribly so will make space this year.
                  My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

First earlies: We tried Lady Crystl last year, very impressed will be growing again this year.
                    2nd earlies: Nicola, preferred to Charlotte, heavy cropper too. Belle de Fontenay, leave them as early main crop too. Anya preferred to pink fir.
                    Main: Don't really bother as would probably be blighted before they're ready.
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I like white Duke of York (first earlies) - I think they have a proper potato taste, not like the shop ones.

This year we are also going to try Catriona (second earlies)

Comment

This year, I am growing Rocket, Maris Peer and International Kidney. I may also buy a small packet of seed potatoes from Poundland if it transpires that I have the space for them.

I grow new varieties each year, but also grow one variety which I know will taste well. The one I grow each year is Maris Peer. This way I know I will get at least one crop of tasty spuds.

Most spuds will taste better than shop bought ones, but I have found that Hunter and Pentland Javelin were not to our tastes at all.

Comment

Madmax and I popped into our not so local garden centre tonight on our way home and I was delighted to see Tattieman's seed spuds in stock. I bought some Winston and some Golden Wonder. Hope they will be happy enough in buckets
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

This year I have:

First Early:
                            Ulster Prince - the only only one to give decent yields in the early drought we had last year.

Second Early:
                            Nicola - very like Charlotte, heavy yield in tubs, good flavour

Maincrops:
                            Harlequin - A salad spud bred from Charlotte & Pink Fir Apple, heavy yields, fantastic flavour, happy in tall tubs.

Desiree - I aaaalways grow these, absolute favourite spud.

Setanta - Blight reistant red, better shape than the Sarpos

Sarpo Mira & Axona - guaranteed crop even in very blighty years

Comment

First early. Red Duke of York. Must be the pick of the earlies.
                              2nd early. Kestrel. Super for all round use.
                              Maincrop . Saro Mira. Blight resistant and mega cropper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X