Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend a lawn mower?

Hiya!

I'm just looking for some advice about what kind of new lawnmower to get? dont need anything to whizzy, just one thats reliable...
    My old ones conked out

Cheers!
    Alistair

Hi and welcome to the vine.

It all depends what you want from a mower - do you have lots to cut or just a wee bit - do you prefer petrol or electric?

I have a Flymo hover jobbie and it lives outside all the time and keeps on going
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Lectric? Petrol? Rotary? Cylinder?

Personally I'd love a petrol mower, but as it I have a Black and Decker electric jobby. I don't know that my lawn warrants a petrol mower.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Same as shirl, I also have a flymo hover jobbie & wouldn't be without it. The jobbie is the latest model................goes to the norty step.
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 17-06-2010, 02:32 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks for the response guys!

I had a petrol one before, which was ideal, so would probably stick to that! Been checking out a few online - have you seen the ones made my tuffcut? Bit on the pricey side though

Comment

I have a little second-hand Alco petrol mower from eBay. Supposedly serviced, but I had to put a new pull cord and spark plug on it, and a new primer button. Then I discovered the blade was blunt, so I dunno what 'serviced' means! LOL It was only £30, and I bought it coz it was light and I can lift it in and out the Landy without doing myself a mischief!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I use a manual push mower here. No faffing with extension leads or spark plus/petrol and pull cords etc. No engine/motor to burn out and not a lot to go wrong with them.

I think it actually quicker too. As well as less messing about to start, you mow at walking pace whatever the mower type.

It is hard work and a struggle with grass that's been allowed to get a bit longer than normal. As long as you do it at least every say 3 weeks in summer, it's fine.

And I do have a vintage, high quality one with roller and 5 blades, which works really well. I've never tried the cheap modern plastic variety.

Comment

No lawn! (Ha!) But a goat on a string would be the green option?
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Bought a Ryobi self-propelled petrol mower from B&Q about 4 weeks ago on a special offer and have to say it was a fantastic buy. Easy to start, 7 grass heights and effortless to use, just walk behind it once the clutch is engaged, the hardest part is emptying the grass bag.

Comment

For Work I use Hayter mowers (petrol) at home I use a Honda (petrol) and a Brill Razorcut push mower, which is fantastic.
                    http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Hi - I remeber the old push mowers from years ago... used to be hard work when I was young .. these days they would finish me off!

Comment

Hi Flummery ... many a trus word spoken in jest!!! My neighbour (up the hill) went away on a cruise for 4 weeks and I looked after her goat ... and yes, made a lovely job of the lawn, nice and short .... bit smelly though and lost two bed sheets and a pair of trousers as well ... may be cheaper getting a lawn mower :O)

Comment

Ride on mower - new and used ride on lawn mowers westwood, countax lawn mowers

This is the sort of thing I am going for ... would you believe it .. there is a website that does nothing but used ride on lawn mowers!!!

Ride on mower - new and used ride on lawn mowers westwood, countax lawn mowers

Is there anything you can't get online?????

Comment

I bought a very cheap one from Lidl over a year ago for £99.

It's a 4 stroke petrol mower with a Briggs & Stratton motor.

Starts first pull every time and has not failed me. The only issue I have is that it gives the grass a high cut, I had to modify it so that I got a lower cut.

Link => LIDL Lawnmower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X