Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfrey wanted !

Hi,

Seeing TomatoKings thread on Comfrey usage reminded me...

I want to get some Comfrey growing to use in the future as feed.

Questions is, is there a particular comfrey variety that is best for the purpose?
    And what's the best way to 'get' some comfrey? I've seen the likes of T&M sell seeds (but sadly wilco dont seem to). Or is it best to get a small plant - I've never noticed the DIY sheds selling any (probably because they want to sell tomato feed bottles instead). I'm happy to go the seed route but dont want to order seeds if that's not the best route to go down.

ta!

Hi there, your best bet is to go down the root section route (sorry). Some varieties of comfrey are very invasive & set seeds all over the place. However if you get hold of a variety called Bocking 14 you won't go far wrong. Although it flowers the seeds themselves are sterile so it will be more controlable. The fact the seeds are sterile is also the reason why you will need root sections rather than seed. Unfortunately all the seed companies I have looked at don't have any available at this time of year, however flea bay has loads for sale. In my experience it roots well at most times of the year so if you buy a few sections they should get you started. Most places supply short root sections (maybe just an inch long) so don't be dissapointed as the smallest pieces will usually take root & flourish.

Comment

It's definitely Bocking 14 you want. I got mine on eBay
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Loads growing around our site how do I know if its blocking 14 any way to tell. One plot has loads but the peeps wont have a clue what it is as they havent done anything to the plot in 12 months, its full of weeds dont know why they are keeping it they should be kicked off.
        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
        and ends with backache

Comment

This may seem stupid but it's all I can think of. As Bocking 14 sets seeds albeit sterile, why not collect & sow a few seeds. If they germinate then it's not 14 but some other variety.

Comment

I got mine from here but you can't get them until next spring . I got them as roots but it says that they're selling them as plants so not sure. Ebay does have loads also though you don't have the 100% guarantee that it's bocking 14. Your other option is to try and scrounge a few root cuttings off someone. Apparently you can just dig them up, take some cuttings off the root and the old plant will grow back from roots left in the soil. Not tried it myself though.
            Last edited by Shadylane; 07-06-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

There are one or two folk selling comfrey seeds on flea bay & this is therefore obviously not Bocking 14 & with respect I would suggest jpdw steers well clear of these items. However there are others which appear to be genuine Bocking 14 plants being sold by what would appear to be reputable sellers. This is just a random link which if you read the blurb would appear to be the genuine stuff (Item numkber 160441778251) there are obviously others for sale & as I have no involvement in any of these sales I can only suggest anybody interest in buying anything has a good read of all the sales to ensure they get what they want. As Shadylane has said you might do well to try & scrounge a few bits of root from somewhere.
              Last edited by flighty1; 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I've never grown or used comfrey, but one of my fellow plotholders has; don't know which variety though. He picks a few leaves and steeps them in a bucket, then uses the liquid to water his veg. All well and good , that's the sort of thing they tell you in the books and magazines.
                But he says that you shouldn't leave comfrey growing in one spot for too long unless you are absolutely certain you want it to stay there. It sends down a long tap root and if you dig it up and leave a bit that has snapped off it will regrow, rather like dandelion but on a larger scale. Says he dug down three feet and still didn't get to the end of it; and he's tried just about every kind of weedkiller without success

Comment

Sounds like I may be best to avoid buying from ebay. To be honest whilst I've bought lots of stuff on ebay I'd never considered buying plants/seeds there.

I'll ask some of my plot neighbours as I get to know them - as Shadylane says the plants wont be around till next spring, I've got plenty of time for asking around.

I definately prefer the sound of bocking 14 - after a week so far clearing the grass from the plot, the last thing we want is something else taking it over!

Thanks all,
                  jpdw

Comment

Quote: "But he says that you shouldn't leave comfrey growing in one spot for too long unless you are absolutely certain you want it to stay there. It sends down a long tap root and if you dig it up and leave a bit that has snapped off it will regrow, rather like dandelion but on a larger scale. Says he dug down three feet and still didn't get to the end of it; and he's tried just about every kind of weedkiller without success"

Absolutely. Stuff it in a spot that you don't need to use. Ever. Some on our site put it next to the compost bin. On our plot we have the compost bins, then 3 water butts under a contraption to catch water, then the comfrey patch and then the mini pond and 'wild' area in one strip next to the fence. That's how I intend it to stay for as long as I rent the plot. Hopefully, whoever takes it on after I've moved on will be grateful for the load of comfrey they inherit and not want to get rid. If they do, I s'pose it will be tough
                    Last edited by Shadylane; 07-06-2010, 10:14 PM.

Comment

If you want a root of Bocking14 to chop up jpdw then PM me. Can't send until autumn though. Mine is in full leaf and I don't thin it (yes even Bocking14 does spread by roots, it's just not as invasive as the seeds) until late October/early November. You won't get much of a crop next year. It takes a couple of seasons to establish.
                      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                      >
                      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                        Loads growing around our site how do I know if its blocking 14 any way to tell. One plot has loads but the peeps wont have a clue what it is as they havent done anything to the plot in 12 months, its full of weeds dont know why they are keeping it they should be kicked off.
                        If it's growing wild, I don't think it'll be bocking 14. Root cuttings of B. 14 are quite cheap. from Garden Organic, so I suggest you buy some. I bought ten two years ago. two failed to grow for so,me reason, but I now have eight plants, and jolly useful they are too. I've just made semi-concentrated comfrey tea for the first time.
                        Mind you, if you cut the stuff regularly, it'll never get a chance to flower and set seed, so it probably doesn't matter whether it's Bocking 14.
                        Last edited by StephenH; 08-06-2010, 10:00 AM.
                        Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

I was recommended this site by a local plot holder. Not bought any yet though The Organic Gardening Catalogue

Comment

I have been offered some from a fellow plot holder but she doesnt know if its blocking 14, but what she has said is to help myself to some leaves so I will do that for now and start off a bin of potion.
                            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                            and ends with backache

Comment

I have some bocking 14 comfrey roots I can send to you?
                              As this is my first day on the vine, I would like to give away free roots to whoever would like them.
                              Genuine russian comfrey,bocking 14 variety. Makes an excellent fertilizer for the rest of your allotment/garden...,
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X