Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zazen999
    replied
    Bocking 14 propagates by root division. I would say that yes, it does tend to pop up and invade where it can.

I put mine in front of a compost heap, where I also throw bin bags full of perennial weeds to rot down. I had originally put it in another space, but I dug it out a short time later [weeks, not months] however I always get a new plant there each spring; which gets dug up and given to other lottie holders. So only put it where you want it!

Leave a comment:

• coreopsis
    replied
    I planted mine in the garden-yes,I was warned that it's invasive,but...it's getting chopped off before it has a chance to set any seeds.So?Is it still going to take over my garden?There were 2 comfrey clumps in the village,I replanted 1 to my garden(the other eaten by cows).If it's spreading so much why they were "just" 2 clumps and no more?

Leave a comment:

• Tomatoking
    replied
    I think I better get my order in early for next year then Shadylane.

Leave a comment:

• Shadylane
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomatoking View Post
    Thanks for the link Haza. I want to add a link on my blog to show where to order comfrey. I have to admit that I have never tried it, but want to in the future. Can some comfrey expert please comfirm that this site looks OK to order from.

Regards
    Mr TK
    That's where I got mine from TK. It took a while to get here but when I called them they politely explained that they had a huge backlog and were running late with it or something. Anyway all ten roots took and grew into monster plants so I would deffo recommend them

Leave a comment:

• bishop
    replied
    got mine from ebay not the bocking 14 type, just cut the flowers off so no seeds,

Leave a comment:

• Tomatoking
    replied
    Originally posted by Keith2202 View Post
    The Organic Gardening catalogue is the retail bit of Garden Organic
    Garden Organic - celebrating 50 years of organic growing - organic gardening, farming and food

So should be safe as houses to order from!
    Cheers Keith.

Looks like a place well worth supporting.
    Mr TK

Leave a comment:

• Keith2202
    replied
    The Organic Gardening catalogue is the retail bit of Garden Organic
    Garden Organic - celebrating 50 years of organic growing - organic gardening, farming and food

So should be safe as houses to order from!

Leave a comment:

• Tomatoking
    replied
    Originally posted by haza1981 View Post
    I was recommended this site by a local plot holder. Not bought any yet though The Organic Gardening Catalogue
    Thanks for the link Haza. I want to add a link on my blog to show where to order comfrey. I have to admit that I have never tried it, but want to in the future. Can some comfrey expert please comfirm that this site looks OK to order from.

Regards
    Mr TK

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Hi WorcesterSource, I'd love some B14 if you still have any please? just email me for my address and p&p cost, best wishes, J

Leave a comment:

• WorcesterSource
    replied
    I have some bocking 14 comfrey roots I can send to you?
    As this is my first day on the vine, I would like to give away free roots to whoever would like them.
    Genuine russian comfrey,bocking 14 variety. Makes an excellent fertilizer for the rest of your allotment/garden...,
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jackie j
    replied
    I have been offered some from a fellow plot holder but she doesnt know if its blocking 14, but what she has said is to help myself to some leaves so I will do that for now and start off a bin of potion.

Leave a comment:

• haza1981
    replied
    I was recommended this site by a local plot holder. Not bought any yet though The Organic Gardening Catalogue

Leave a comment:

• StephenH
    replied
    Originally posted by jackie j View Post
    Loads growing around our site how do I know if its blocking 14 any way to tell. One plot has loads but the peeps wont have a clue what it is as they havent done anything to the plot in 12 months, its full of weeds dont know why they are keeping it they should be kicked off.
    If it's growing wild, I don't think it'll be bocking 14. Root cuttings of B. 14 are quite cheap. from Garden Organic, so I suggest you buy some. I bought ten two years ago. two failed to grow for so,me reason, but I now have eight plants, and jolly useful they are too. I've just made semi-concentrated comfrey tea for the first time.
    Mind you, if you cut the stuff regularly, it'll never get a chance to flower and set seed, so it probably doesn't matter whether it's Bocking 14.
    Last edited by StephenH; 08-06-2010, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sarraceniac
    replied
    If you want a root of Bocking14 to chop up jpdw then PM me. Can't send until autumn though. Mine is in full leaf and I don't thin it (yes even Bocking14 does spread by roots, it's just not as invasive as the seeds) until late October/early November. You won't get much of a crop next year. It takes a couple of seasons to establish.

Leave a comment:

• Shadylane
    replied
    Quote: "But he says that you shouldn't leave comfrey growing in one spot for too long unless you are absolutely certain you want it to stay there. It sends down a long tap root and if you dig it up and leave a bit that has snapped off it will regrow, rather like dandelion but on a larger scale. Says he dug down three feet and still didn't get to the end of it; and he's tried just about every kind of weedkiller without success"

Absolutely. Stuff it in a spot that you don't need to use. Ever. Some on our site put it next to the compost bin. On our plot we have the compost bins, then 3 water butts under a contraption to catch water, then the comfrey patch and then the mini pond and 'wild' area in one strip next to the fence. That's how I intend it to stay for as long as I rent the plot. Hopefully, whoever takes it on after I've moved on will be grateful for the load of comfrey they inherit and not want to get rid. If they do, I s'pose it will be tough
    Last edited by Shadylane; 07-06-2010, 10:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X