Gloves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
    In the summer I often just use latex/vinyl if planting out and want to keep my hands a bit cleaner.

One day I won't have to worry. But for the moment the NHS needs me to have clean hands.
    Hi Eb - yes, agree with you, but you always have clean hands don't you? like your words at the bottom. DDL
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
      Do you have any particular favourites? DDL
      Any leather gardening gloves with cheap cotton liners from almost any market.
      Keeps hands warm & stops seams of leather gloves chaifing.
      Despoable "latex over the cotton liners will keep them & your handsdry when garden wet.
      Last edited by bubblewrap; 28-01-2007, 10:12 AM.
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

I dont wear gloves!! They don't say a gardener has 'green fingers' for nowt!!

If a thorn sticks in your hand, just pull it out, or wait til the end of the shift and pull em all out!

Sometimes pull me cuff down to take the brunt, but generally like to be at one with the land!

Better to have green fingers than a brown nose!

You'll be tellin is a need to wear shoes and socks next!!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

They make them tough up north!!
          Do you wear anything over your t-shirt in the winter Snadge?

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
            They make them tough up north!!
            Do you wear anything over your t-shirt in the winter Snadge?
            Just me flat cap!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Never really found any gardening gloves that fit properly, I have quite large hands so women's ones tend to be a bit short on the fingers but if I got to men's ones they're too wide so uncomfortable. Did have a pair once that were pretty good but then managed to lose them somewhere (presumably they're under a shrub somewhere!). As a result, normally end up having to scrub my hands and apply a vast amount of hand cream after a day in the garden. Re the discussion above, how do you find out what size of glove you need anyway, the ones I've had have always been small, medium or large rather than 6, 7 or 8.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Go to a department store and try on Dent's gloves in the haberdashery dept. Depending on the type of glove (lined, unlined) you may get some variation, so my first order for the SHOWA gloves was for a 7 and an 8. To my surprise, the 7s were better - you get much more sensitivity with a well fitting glove. The correct ladies' size is on the inner label. When you find a few gloves that fit your hand, select the size that appears most often!

I used to get men's gardening gloves because the ladies' were too short in the finger, but they were baggy old things. I like to be able to feel through the gardening glove, especially with seedlings. As has been said, what you want from a glove is very individual. Good hunting!
                Last edited by supersprout; 28-01-2007, 08:46 PM.
                SSx
                not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Thanks SS, should be going into Manchester next weekend so will try then and maybe treat myself with the remainder of some money I got for Christmas.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Snadger I have to agree with you. I don't wear gloves. How the hell can you possibly grow and tend vegetable plants if you can't feel the earth and the plants with your bare hands?
                    [

Comment

lol@snadger and LJ, I used to go bare-handed but couldn't imagine it now. It all started when I hired a hunky woodsman to deal with overgrown pyracantha and saw he and his crew were wearing disposable gloves - well I figured if it's good enough for the professionals ... Or perhaps another sign of Old Age, like the Comfy Slippers
                      Last edited by supersprout; 29-01-2007, 09:54 AM.
                      SSx

Comment

SS - You hired a hunky woodsman? That sounds like one of LJ's favourite pastimes!!!!
                        [

Comment

I love to do my gardening without gloves, but its the day job that's the problem! Looks terrible pointing something out on a drawing with really dirty fingernails!
                          ~
                          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

SS - my gloves have arrived and will be trying them this weekend! Think those of you who don't wear glove are lucky - having Raynards Syndrome (poor circulation in the ends of the fingers and toes) it means I (although I don't want to!) have to keep the fingers covered at most times. DDL
                            PS Anyone offering to do my digging for me? Save my fingers? LOL
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

(oh, the responsibility!)
                              Look forward to hearing how you get on with them DDL
                              Last edited by supersprout; 31-01-2007, 06:10 PM.
                              SSx

Comment

Was just reading through and thought for one horrible minute I was only one NOT wearing gloves...phew,glad I'm not the only one.I must admit have to keep nails short,and sometimes a bugger to get hands clean,but cant be doing with faffing about with gloves on!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X