Gloves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves

Does anyone have a recommendation for gardening gloves?

At the moment (in case you haven't read elsewhere!)I'm wearing my thick thermal gloves covered with a thick pair of bright orange marigolds! I need the warmth of the thermal gloves to keep my fingers warm, and the marigolds provide the waterproofness I need.

Thinking ahead into the warmer months, does anyone have any ideas for a good ,hardwearing, but soft gloves?

Many thanks
    DDL
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

They are a bit expensive but there are some really nice leather jobbies in our local Garden Centre and they do them just for Ladies as well I use the leather Rigger gloves if I'm digging (otherwise I get rough hands ) but when I'm mixing composts etc I've got some "marigolds" from ASDA & they are heavy duty jobs & black as the normal ones just get shredded with all the grit etc.

Have you thought of the surgical gloves instead of marigolds? then you can wear your posh one in the winter as well.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
      I use the leather Rigger gloves if I'm digging (otherwise I get rough hands )................
      Should use Mild Green Fairy Liquid then Nic!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Should use Mild Green Fairy Liquid then Nic!
        About right there Snadger

Comment

Methinks you may be considered to be a "pair of fairies" if you'll pardon the expression!
          Yes thanks Nick, had thought of the surgical ones - OH uses them when hes working on his car and bike......but I find them a bit thin!
          Thanks DDL
          Gotta say, got visions of Snadger as a little lad stood next to his mummy whilst she is doing the washing up with all the bubbles saying "the hands that do dishes, feel as soft as your face with mild, green fairy liquid! wasn't that Lesley Ash as a child/or Snadger!! LOL
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi DDL, I do most of the work on the plot with my hands, but don't like the feel of soil on my fingers but I do like to be able to feel what I'm doing through gloves. Oh, and they have to be washable as I like to have clean gloves on, so no leather gauntlets here. Most impulse buys from garden centres were either too insensitive, or let the earth through the fingertips with all the grubbing. I'm embarrassed to think of the money wasted trying to find the right gloves over the years!

After a long search, I stick to three types now.
            1. The ones I wouldn't be without and always have a spare pair: all-round Showa Floreo Ultralight. They come in several sizes so they are a good fit for fiddly jobs, reasonably waterproof, and the ventilated back allows the hand to breathe, and you can wear them in comfort all day. Machine washable.
            2. For winter or jobs involving anything that's very heavy, rough or sharp: Showa Thermal Water resistant, supple and light. Protect well against abrasion, cuts and puncturing. Ventilated to limit perspiration, but keep your hands very snug even on the coldest day. Less sensitive than (1) but still soft enough to feel what you're doing; machine washable.
            3. Surgical gloves: perfect for light, wet, messy, fiddly jobs. For one-off short or emergency use: they tear easily and in summer your hands are sopping wet inside, eurggh. Disposable and the latex ones are compostable! I keep a box on the plot for visitors
            Last edited by supersprout; 27-01-2007, 09:32 AM.
            SSx
            not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Thanks for the link Supersprout, the ultralights look very interesting and good to see that they do "proper" sizes. Vertically challenged folk like me always end up with gloves that never fit properly.
              I use surgical gloves too (didn't know they were compostable!). Always handy to have in your pocket, but yes your hands do get wet!
              I also treated myself last year to a pair of leather gardening gloves for the heavy stuff and they are nice to wear, but go hard when if they get wet.
              The problem is so many different jobs which require different types of gloves. I've nearly got as many pairs of gardening gloves as I have shoes!
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

You're welcome Jennie, when I first ordered them (on a friend's recommendation) I ordered a pair in 7 and 8. The 7s were so much better - it was the first time I'd used gardening gloves that fit like a glove, and it makes such a difference! I sometimes forget I've got them on, usually when rubbing an Eye

Oooh, I'm a rooter! What does that mean?
                Last edited by supersprout; 27-01-2007, 04:41 PM.
                SSx

Comment

Thanks SS - will give them a try! My thermal+marigolds ended up getting a bit wet through perspiration today - I actually managed my first "proper" digging session on the lottie this afternoon - am well chuffed! Will let you know how I get on with the gloves. DDL
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Have placed my order! Thanks SS DDL
                    Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Hope you enjoy em DDL, nothing like the right tools for the job eh
                      Congrats on all that digging
                      Last edited by supersprout; 27-01-2007, 04:43 PM.
                      SSx

Comment

With gardening gloves , I think it's just horses for courses. I've never found a brand of gloves which just do the job. I can't stand to have my hands down there and dirty so always looking for something for the job. I just go with what does the job - they keep my hands clean, they keep my hands dry - and when I need a new pair, Ill get them. But watching this thread to see if there is something out there which will do the job ad infinitum.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

[QUOTE=dexterdoglancashire;60421]Does anyone have a recommendation for gardening gloves?

Leather gloves & cotton ones as liners.
                          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                          Brian Clough

Comment

[QUOTE=bubblewrap;Leather gloves & cotton ones as liners.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any particular favourites? DDL
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

In the summer I often just use latex/vinyl if planting out and want to keep my hands a bit cleaner.

One day I won't have to worry. But for the moment the NHS needs me to have clean hands.
                              Bright Blessings
                              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X